Want to start Stronglifts but keep working out 5x week

Options

Replies

• MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've been doing strong lift some weeks = newbie. My opinion: Keep it simple and just listen to your body. I started of training on rest days. No problem at all. However when the weight progressed i noticed the need for rest days. Still have som complementary stuff on workout days though. When they start to wear me down i dropp them or lower the reps.
    Just go with the flow!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 5x5 reps at a truly heavy weight for you, you'll need that day off.

I agree with this. Both the Stronglifts A and Stronglifts B workout contain squats. I see no way that you could follow the program as designed and recover fully between workouts when squatting 5x5 with heavy weights, five days each week.

If you are worried about your knees, focus on low impact forms of cardio such as swimming.

This is my main beef with Stronglifts, that it has squats every lifting day. I get that it keeps it simple with heavy compounds, but a traditional body part split makes soooo much more sense. If you do a 3, 4, or 5 day split where each day is a separate muscle group, then that muscle group has much more time to recover before it has to be worked out again meaning you can hit that muscle group as hard as possible and not have to worry about hitting it again in 2 days...
    Stronglifts is intended for beginners. Beginners don't need long recovery times between sessions. It's when you get to the intermediate and advanced stages that you need longer recovery times, and that's when a split is effective. Basically, a beginner will be ready to go after 36 hours of recovery, so doing a split and extending that recovery time just makes for slower, less efficient progression.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    If you are doing 5x5 reps at a truly heavy weight for you, you'll need that day off.

I agree with this. Both the Stronglifts A and Stronglifts B workout contain squats. I see no way that you could follow the program as designed and recover fully between workouts when squatting 5x5 with heavy weights, five days each week.

If you are worried about your knees, focus on low impact forms of cardio such as swimming.

This is my main beef with Stronglifts, that it has squats every lifting day. I get that it keeps it simple with heavy compounds, but a traditional body part split makes soooo much more sense. If you do a 3, 4, or 5 day split where each day is a separate muscle group, then that muscle group has much more time to recover before it has to be worked out again meaning you can hit that muscle group as hard as possible and not have to worry about hitting it again in 2 days...
    Stronglifts is intended for beginners. Beginners don't need long recovery times between sessions. It's when you get to the intermediate and advanced stages that you need longer recovery times, and that's when a split is effective. Basically, a beginner will be ready to go after 36 hours of recovery, so doing a split and extending that recovery time just makes for slower, less efficient progression.

Also bear in mind splits are structured for people whose goals are mainly aesthetic. People who are seeking more functional or athletic gains don't train in splits. Competing lifters, MMA fighters, etc... They don't do splits. There's a reason for that.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Also bear in mind splits are structured for people whose goals are mainly aesthetic. People who are seeking more functional or athletic gains don't train in splits. Competing lifters, MMA fighters, etc... They don't do splits. There's a reason for that.

Competing lifters don't do splits? Since when?
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Not a complete split. Push/pull/legs or something of the like isn't uncommon, but something like chest-mon, back-tues, abs & cardio wed, and stuff along those lines is more bodybuilding/aesthetics-specific. It's still a compound-based lifting based program which doesn't allow for full on splits.

In any case, the point was that SS/SL are based on strength-building programs first and foremost, and the intermediate to advanced programs you progress to after completing them (should you choose to) are more of the same in many ways, and are not even remotely similar to a bodybuilding split. Saying one is better than the other is untrue as they are for different goals.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Not a complete split. Push/pull/legs or something of the like isn't uncommon, but something like chest-mon, back-tues, abs & cardio wed, and stuff along those lines is more bodybuilding/aesthetics-specific. It's still a compound-based lifting based program which doesn't allow for full on splits. They have things like snatch day, clean & jerk day (+ accessory lifts and such)

IDK, by my definition push-pull-legs is a split....anything that's not full-body is a split but I guess that's just semantics. I agree that a competitive lifter won't have a triceps and traps day as part of their main program.
  • contingencyplan
    Options

Not a complete split. Push/pull/legs or something of the like isn't uncommon, but something like chest-mon, back-tues, abs & cardio wed, and stuff along those lines is more bodybuilding/aesthetics-specific. It's still a compound-based lifting based program which doesn't allow for full on splits. They have things like snatch day, clean & jerk day (+ accessory lifts and such)

IDK, by my definition push-pull-legs is a split....anything that's not full-body is a split but I guess that's just semantics. I agree that a competitive lifter won't have a triceps and traps day as part of their main program.

Push-Pull-Legs is a split, yes. I see it as more of a hybrid personally, someone who wants the best of both worlds.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I do Stronglifts Tues, Thurs, and Saturday. I run 5 mile interval on Wed, Fri and a steady 6 to 10 mile run on Sundays. I rest on Mondays.

It's hard. Really hard. All that running is definitely slowing my squat progression. All that squatting is definitely slowing my run progression.

Not saying you shouldn't do it. Just be realistic about what it means to pursue an aggressive program. Trade offs are involved, and you have to decide if you want to make those trade offs.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Squats 5x per week and Deads 2-3x per week?

No way. Nuh uh. Would not do.

Just the thought makes me quiver in fear.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I squat and press each to daily max singles 5-7 days a week, and then do some backoff work and then work my mid/upper back. You'd be amazed what you are capable of IF you program to work that way.
  • peterjasper
    peterjasper Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm loving stronglift too, and appreciate you wanting to spend more time in the gym than the recommended 3 times. I''ve been on the program 2 months and was in the gym 5 days a week over the christmas break. must admit my knees got a bit sore with all the squats i was doing.
  • HelloDan
    HelloDan Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    It makes no less sense than a bro split. Particularly for a beginner, there's no reason to spend so much time between hitting muscle groups. Hell, bulgarian/oly style programs squat daily. Then there's Sheiko and Smolov in between. People are capable of way more than they give themselves credit for.

Whilst I don't disagree with the premise of what you say, you can't compare strong lifts and Bulgarian programs. Especially as (I hope) most newbies aren't taking anywhere near as much (or any at all) gear as Bulgarian weightlifters.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I squat and press each to daily max singles 5-7 days a week, and then do some backoff work and then work my mid/upper back. You'd be amazed what you are capable of IF you program to work that way.

But you're doing a programme designed for this kind of frequency. Probably with reduced (or waved) volume (or else you're genetically-gifted in the recovery department).

Stronglifts isn't designed for everyday use, so the OP should either a) do Stronglifts and do something non-lifting related on the other two days; or b) do a programme designed for 5 (or 6) days a week lifting there are many examples (from PHAT to bro-split to Perryman-esque Everyday Squatting) that would fit this bill. Whether they would be suitable for a beginner is another matter entirely :)
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    It makes no less sense than a bro split. Particularly for a beginner, there's no reason to spend so much time between hitting muscle groups. Hell, bulgarian/oly style programs squat daily. Then there's Sheiko and Smolov in between. People are capable of way more than they give themselves credit for.

Whilst I don't disagree with the premise of what you say, you can't compare strong lifts and Bulgarian programs. Especially as (I hope) most newbies aren't taking anywhere near as much (or any at all) gear as Bulgarian weightlifters.

There's no need to be on the juice to do a high volume program like Sheiko, or even a daily lifting program like "bulgarian-style" training. You just have to check your ego at the door and be intelligent about it.

But you're doing a programme designed for this kind of frequency. Probably with reduced (or waved) volume (or else you're genetically-gifted in the recovery department).

Stronglifts isn't designed for everyday use, so the OP should either a) do Stronglifts and do something non-lifting related on the other two days; or b) do a programme designed for 5 (or 6) days a week lifting there are many examples (from PHAT to bro-split to Perryman-esque Everyday Squatting) that would fit this bill. Whether they would be suitable for a beginner is another matter entirely :)
    You and I are actually in total agreement here. Notice I specified that it works IF you are programming that type of frequency.

To clarify: I am NOT in support of the OP doing SL+ anything. Maybe some LISS on off days. IMO, the program, much like SS, only works if done the way it was designed, particularly after about the first month when the weight starts really getting challenging (well, it may take longer with SL since he designs it to start with the bar so he can claim huge gains :eyeroll:).
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

There's no need to be on the juice to do a high volume program like Sheiko, or even a daily lifting program like "bulgarian-style" training. You just have to check your ego at the door and be intelligent about it.

You and I are actually in total agreement here. Notice I specified that it works IF you are programming that type of frequency.

To clarify: I am NOT in support of the OP doing SL+ anything. Maybe some LISS on off days. IMO, the program, much like SS, only works if done the way it was designed, particularly after about the first month when the weight starts really getting challenging (well, it may take longer with SL since he designs it to start with the bar so he can claim huge gains :eyeroll:).

Yeah, I think we've touched on this somewhere else? Well put together lift-everyday programmes are legitimate. There's something to the whole "greasing the groove" as far as cns adaption goes. After all, it's like a skill, right? Dodgy injections are not needed if the programme's set up correctly!

Plus, if you like training a lot, you're going to be miserable doing PTTP or something like that where you only have to show up twice a week.

Totally agree on the programme (SL or SS): if you're going to do a programme that's intrinsically designed in terms of volume/frequency a certain way - do it that way. Or else: don't! Find a different routine that fits your training preferences/recovery abilities.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    I don't know how many times I saw Ripp field questions about someone having a problem with SS, only to find out after a bit of inquiry that "well, actually, I subbed out this for this, and threw in an arm day."

His answer ALWAYS "YNDTP" (You're Not Doing The Program)
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

Sheiko and Smolov also work at submaximal weight in order to be able to keep up that volume. It's an advanced routine for someone who already has a base of strength. They progressively overload and reduce volume as the routine gets into the later stages, like a lot of other progressive overload programs do.

As far as compound movements go- this is definitely what a beginner wants to do. Learning proper form and technique on these lifts builds a base of ability that will last a lifetime and transfer to other routines once you are more advanced. 5x5 isn't something an advanced lifter will do long term, but like someone posted, for an advanced lifter coming back from injury or layoff, it's a good way to build your base back up. When I returned to lifting from a 3 year layoff, I picked up 5x5 to get me jump started again.

I was never a fan of the body part split, but my goals were different. I did a split based on working the lifts themselves. Squat based day would be heavy squats and 2 squat assistance lifts like box squats with chains on the bar to overload the lockout, and pause squats, bench based day- a heavy bench movement (not always flat bench, but often, board presses with different height boards) and then 2 bench assistance lifts which would usually be more board presses with different height boards. Deadlift based day, deadlifts and 2 assist lifts, like deadlifts standing on plates to increase rom, deadlifts with the plates sitting on blocks to reduce rom and overload the lockout, rack pulls, good mornings, etc. Bench assistance day with things like decline bench, rows, DB work, bench with chains on the bar to overload the lockout, etc. Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options

How long have you been doing this? If you are moving any serious weight I can't see keeping this up for too long, it'll burn out your CNS.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts is designed so that well into the routine you will be lifting heavy @$$ weight. When putting the body thru that much stress tension the body usually performs best with adequate rest time which for most is usually more then 24hrs. IMO it would be best to do some active recovery on rest days if you still want to follow the SL5x5 protocol if you are not used to lifting heavy. I will say that lifting volume is different then lifting heavy and if your body is not used to it then you will have greater risk of injury.

Now if you are not new to training and at min a novice at lifting the heavy weight then I can see doing some HIIT training on the non SL5x5 days (something that I personally do and have still seen results both in the mirror and weight going up). I will say though that my weight being thrown up is more when I have had 48hrs rest vs 24hrs rest but I still see results.... They are just slower coming in the aspect of the amount of weight increased on the bar.

It all comes down to goals. If you are looking to burn some fat and build some LMM then I think you will be ok with training 5-6 days a week and doing the SL 5x5. If your goal to to lift the most amount of weight possible then you would be better off taking the 48hrs rest btwn sessions.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL at people who think squatting every lift is too much- don't tell Smolov that!!!
    If you wanted to do HIIT too, do HIIT on the same day as your lifting, and let the recovery day be a recovery day.
    That's what I've seen recommended, but I do not do HIIT, so maybe someone can back me up or correct me.

that's brutal. I've done them back to back- lift then a HIIT session.

I am in pretty good shape and I thought I might actually die.

If you split AM/PM it would be way more palatable for sure.