Deadlift Grip Strength

Options
Hey guys,

So I have been going to the gym for 3 months now and I've been seeing regular strength gains on my deadlift. I'm currently sitting at lifting about 100kg (220lbs).

My only problem I'm facing now is the bar slipping out my hands. I use the Romanian grip (one hand over, one hand under). The most reps I've got in a set is 6 when I feel like I could maybe push out 8-10

Is their anything I can do to increase my grip strength or are their any alternate grips which provide a better grip of the bar??

Any replies welcome :)

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I use figure 8's....probably not "proper" but ohwell...lets me do 8 reps instead of 6 :P
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Romanian grip is the safest really so i wouldn't look into alternatives. You are starting to lift rather heavy and want to keep it safe when you do it.
    You sweating when you are lifting - holding the bar or finger - grip are not holding tight enough?

Try to alternate hands half way in your sets. Say 5 sets do 3 right facing front 2 facing back sort of thing.
    If still not holding the grip get yourself some straps?
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, so I decided to get wrist wraps to wrap the bar to my wrists and prevent slippage. Some people are adamantly against this because they say it will prevent increases in grip strength, but I'm not going to let a weak grip get in the way of developing my back. Before wrist wraps I could barely do 8 reps of 225. With wrist wraps I can do 8 reps of 315. Makes a big difference...
  • jamd95
    jamd95 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, so I decided to get wrist wraps to wrap the bar to my wrists and prevent slippage. Some people are adamantly against this because they say it will prevent increases in grip strength, but I'm not going to let a weak grip get in the way of developing my back. Before wrist wraps I could barely do 8 reps of 225. With wrist wraps I can do 8 reps of 315. Makes a big difference...

I could almost agree with you.. without even trying the straps I feel like I could go even heavier however I cant hold the weight up
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options

I could almost agree with you.. without even trying the straps I feel like I could go even heavier however I cant hold the weight up

Yup, get yourself some wrist straps and unleash the beast. Get after it
  • tattygun
    tattygun Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Chalk. Seriously, just go get some chalk. People who are against going straight for straps are people who know how effective chalk is. :wink:
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Chalk. Seriously, just go get some chalk. People who are against going straight for straps are people who know how effective chalk is. :wink:

Chalk helps for me until about 85kg's, anything over that I still need straps..... I do agree though - if you have chalk at your gym - try that first - if that does not do the job - straps :-)
  • halleymw
    halleymw Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    There are a couple of things you can do to increase your grip strength. Do these at the end of your strenght workout. One is to just do a body hand from a pullup bar, and hang on as long as you can. Repeat about 3 times, increasing your time each week. Another is just doing fists. Ie, open and close your fist as rapidly as possible, repeat as many times as possible, work up to about 200 times. repeat times 3. . Another is Farmers carrys, pick up a heavy dumbell and walk with it. You can always get a grip exercisor, but those can be kind of expensive (for really good ones.

http://performancecenter.stack.com/article_detail.jsp?id=64538#wallDefault.
    Mike
  • arcticfox04
    arcticfox04 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest you start to working out wrist/forearms exercises some to help with grip. I don't use straps or chalk though I use full finger lifting gloves. Right now I'm at 475lb's for a 1 rep max.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    have you tried the hook grip?

also try farmer's walks to build strength.

but usually when i reach the stage where my deadlift is being hamstrung by my grip strength, i know it's tome to give my CNS a rest and a take a full week's break.
  • steve_mfp
    steve_mfp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    This guy has a great site on grip strength. I've added some of his exercises to my workouts.

http://www.adamtglass.com

I'm in the group that does not believe in straps for deadlifts (chalk/resin, yes). It is a core exercise. Total body. If you have a weak spot get it up to where the rest of your body is or you are creating imbalances. Imbalances lead to injuries.

http://train.elitefts.com/tag/grip/

Has a good selection.

Personally I use the plate pinch lifts, pull-ups with a rope or by gripping straps, finger push ups, wrist roller and fat barbells/dumbbells while doing any exercise. Also I have grip squeezer at work that I constantly use.

A strong grip is critical for everything you do in and out of the gym. There are acceptable times to use straps but deadlifts really shouldn't be one of them.
  • BranDiesel_27
    Options
    Dead Hold for increasing time
    Wrist Curls
    Rope Climbs
    Hex Hold/curls
    Crusher grippers
    Flex hangs
    1 arm flex hangs
    use thicker bars( if your doing deadlifts you can purchase fat gripz to make the bar thicker) thicker grips make the forearms work harder.

* need more? :)
  • junlex123
    junlex123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Kroc rows reportedly have a beneficial effect on grip strength, maybe try those.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I vote for the chalk first as well if you aren't going to work on your grip.

I personally am one of those who balks at straps...my feeling is if you can't hold it you shouldn't be lifting it.(outside of competition)

I may feel differently once I reach a weight I can't hold but doubt it.
  • itsfruitcake
    itsfruitcake Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've just looked into that a few days ago because I have the same problem (with much, much lower weights). The most sensible sounding info I found online was
    - just keep going, i.e. build up your grip strength through lifting, it's part of the exercise
    - only use straps and chalk for very heavy weights (i.e. go as far as you can without)
    - make sure you place the bar in the right spot (towards your fingers rather than in the middle of your palm)
    - "white knuckle" grip, i.e. grip as hard as you can

Hope that helps!
  • LongIsland27itl
    LongIsland27itl Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    These are what you need http://www.bigbackgrips.com
  • kreza98
    kreza98 Posts: 13 Member
    Options

Same here, I use Liquid Chalk that I got off Amazon and it's lasted ages so far, you don't need to use much at all for it to be effective.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I have/had grip issues around the same weight.

Because I compete, I choose not to use wraps or gloves. I have small hands I believe these would make the issue worse.

I found chalk gave me an extra 10 - 15 kg straight away, I now carry it with me to the gym as mine doesn't have it.

To help my grip, I do farmers walks, plate pinches and rack pulls.

My PB is now 125kg.

Edited to add, also I do 'complete restarts' or singles with Deads over 100kg.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I can do 315 lbs x 10 + with no straps.

Back in the day I couldn' tdo 225 lbs x 10.

Try this first.

Load up a 45lbs plate on each side of the bar(135lbs).

Wrap a towel around where you grip(left and right side, two towels, or just one long towel). The thicker the grip, the harder it is.

Grab it with your palms facing OUT(forward) and stand up with it(deadlift technique).

Hold that position for as long as possible. Your forearms will burn after 20-30 seconds.

Repeat for 5 sets.

Add this at the end of your workouts and gradually increase the time/weight.

• edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Actually , just to show you how effective that towel training is...

I did 405 lbs x 3 about a month ago... but my left hand grip kept slipping when it was overhand. (I'm right handed). Had to drop the weight and pick it back up...

I used the towel technique about 4 times/week for a month and now...

I did 405 lbs x 3 with 0 slippage. Just rammed it out back to back and was still holding onto the bar tight.

So... it works!