I heard they cancelled school in Florida today

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    People in warm places also are confused by people from cold weather applying sunscreen when it is in the low 90s, but again cold weather people's bodies aren't ready for that kind of Sun exposure.

What?

Temperature has nothing to do with getting a sunburn ...

Sorry I figured the implied sun was obvious (with mentioning sun exposure), but I was wrong.

People in warm places are confused by visitors to their warm weather areas who apply sunscreen when they are out on the beach, and the sun is out but isn't very hot to cause the natives to use sunscreen because their skin is used to it.

you can get burnt in the Antartic (quiet badly actually)

you can also burn on hazy days (often and quiet badly people do)

has NOTHING to do with temperature. I use sunblock constantly any time I'm out side - or expect to be outside for more than 5-10 minutes.
  • star5785
    star5785 Posts: 140
    Options
    cancelled in my county too (suburb of Atlanta) because of the windchill factor…. high is 26 today :/
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    People in warm places also are confused by people from cold weather applying sunscreen when it is in the low 90s, but again cold weather people's bodies aren't ready for that kind of Sun exposure.

What?

Sorry I figured the implied sun was obvious (with mentioning sun exposure), but I was wrong.

People in warm places are confused by visitors to their warm weather areas who apply sunscreen when they are out on the beach, and the sun is out but isn't very hot to cause the natives to use sunscreen because their skin is used to it.
    Um ... my fiance grew up in West Palm and he wears sunscreen at the beach, no matter the temperature. You can get sunburned in 20 degrees if the sun is out (I have).

It isn't the temperature that's the issue. It's the intensity of the sun's rays, which are stronger closer to the equator. But people who live in FL and spend time at the beach -- even the most dedicated sunbathers -- use sunscreen or they are sorry later. I've never heard anyone be surprised about people putting on sunscreen.

Some of people aren't fair skinned and their skin is used to that temperature/sun exposure and applying sunscreen is really not that beneficial. Hence why some people are confused by the application of Sun screen. I really don't know how to explain it any clearer.
  • mrob04
    mrob04 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Cancelled schools today and delayed tomorrow here in Southern TN due to the winter weather we are having. Yesterday the high was 12.... according to the thermometer at my work. And also the local courthouse was closed as well. Lol!! Our area gets in a panic when snow is even forecasted & are paralyzed when it actually does snow!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

What?

Um ... my fiance grew up in West Palm and he wears sunscreen at the beach, no matter the temperature. You can get sunburned in 20 degrees if the sun is out (I have).

It isn't the temperature that's the issue. It's the intensity of the sun's rays, which are stronger closer to the equator. But people who live in FL and spend time at the beach -- even the most dedicated sunbathers -- use sunscreen or they are sorry later. I've never heard anyone be surprised about people putting on sunscreen.

Some of people aren't fair skinned and their skin is used to that temperature/sun exposure and applying sunscreen is really not that beneficial. Hence why some people are confused by the application of Sun screen. I really don't know how to explain it any clearer.
    My African-American, Florida native friends wear sunscreen at the beach. And they get sunburned.

My daughter's Iranian friend wears it.

My best friend who goes to tanning beds several times a week still applies sunscreen at the beach.

I honestly don't know anyone who doesn't.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

:huh:

This makes zero sense. So what if you're a "warm climate" person. It doesn't make your skin "used to" the sun. You can still get sun burned regardless. I have friends who live in Florida, have lived there all their lives and guess what? They still get sunburned! And just because the sun is out but it's "not hot" doesn't mean one can't get burned. You can get sunburn when it's hazy out and the sun isn't even shining.

People who are not fair skinned still tan and burn for that matter.

ETA: The only way one will not burn or tan is if their skin is lacking melanin.
  • vtmoon
    Options

What?

you can get burnt in the Antartic (quiet badly actually)

you can also burn on hazy days (often and quiet badly people do)

has NOTHING to do with temperature. I use sunblock constantly any time I'm out side - or expect to be outside for more than 5-10 minutes.

In the Antarctic you are pretty much walking on a mirror that isn't absorbing as much of the UV rays and reflecting them back up.

I'm not sure if you are serious or just being sarcastic, temperature has a lot to do with sunburns. Sunburn is caused by your skin being exposed to the UV rays from the sun, the more UV rays hitting the area is what causes the temperature to rise. So, being outside when the temperature is high you better believe that you are more likely to be exposed to more UV rays.

I really think I'm being trolled hard otherwise I may have just entered the twilight zone.
  • rml_16
    Options

:huh:

This makes zero sense. So what if you're a "warm climate" person. It doesn't make your skin "used to" the sun. You can still get sun burned regardless. I have friends who live in Florida, have lived there all their lives and guess what? They still get sunburned! And just because the sun is out but it's "not hot" doesn't mean one can't get burned. You can get sunburn when it's hazy out and the sun isn't even shining.

People who are not fair skinned still tan and burn for that matter.

ETA: The only way one will not burn or tan is if their skin is lacking melanin.

Your skin does get more used to it and you don't burn as easily when you live somewhere with stronger sun. I grew up in New York (where, BTW, temperatures in the summer can be in the 100s or the 30s, depending on the day -- the sun's rays are just as strong regardless). When I lived there and visited FL I burned super easy, no matter what. Now that I've been down here a while, I can get away with no sunscreen (and I have very fair skin) for a good hour without burning. But I can't go longer than that. Sunscreen is more effective now, however.

But I certainly still need sunscreen, even if my tolerance is higher.
  • h12293
    h12293 Posts: 1
    Options
    In Minnesota -50 wind chill will warm up to 0 degrees and balmy 35 degrees on Sunday. A 50 or 60 degree switch. Not bad for Minnesota.
  • vtmoon
    Options

What?

My African-American, Florida native friends wear sunscreen at the beach. And they get sunburned.

My best friend who goes to tanning beds several times a week still applies sunscreen at the beach.

You are telling me someone with dark skin who is used to low 90 degree weather got sunburned at the beach even with sunscreen on? Someone forgot to pass this memo to almost everyone around the equator who deals with 110 temperatures regularly. Maybe with aren't dark skinned just in a continuous state of being sunburned that they don't even feel the burn anymore?
  • rml_16
    Options

What?

You are telling me someone with dark skin who is used to low 90 degree weather got sunburned at the beach even with sunscreen on? Someone forgot to pass this memo to almost everyone around the equator who deals with 110 temperatures regularly. Maybe with aren't dark skinned just in a continuous stat of being sunburned that they don't even feel the burn anymore?
    No. I'm telling you they use the sunscreen to avoid getting burned.

Do you seriously believe anything you're saying?

I have a friend who is a very dark-skinned black woman who grew up in FL and spends a lot of time at the beach. We went together and she had been the week before and you could see a tan line where her bathing suit was. It was quite visible. And that was with wearing sunscreen. I'm sorry, but you are not going to win this.

And, really, you have actually witnessed people picking on others for applying sunscreen? Who are these people?
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    getting up to 115 here in aus

I'm jealous!!!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    It was about 18 degrees last night here where I am in north Florida. Some schools in FL are closed today, but nowhere near all of them.
  • vtmoon
    Options

What?

You are telling me someone with dark skin who is used to low 90 degree weather got sunburned at the beach even with sunscreen on? Someone forgot to pass this memo to almost everyone around the equator who deals with 110 temperatures regularly. Maybe with aren't dark skinned just in a continuous stat of being sunburned that they don't even feel the burn anymore?
    No. I'm telling you they use the sunscreen to avoid getting burned.

Do you seriously believe anything you're saying?

I have a friend who is a very dark-skinned black woman who grew up in FL and spends a lot of time at the beach. We went together and she had been the week before and you could see a tan line where her bathing suit was. It was quite visible. And that was with wearing sunscreen. I'm sorry, but you are not going to win this.

And, really, you have actually witnessed people picking on others for applying sunscreen? Who are these people?

Do I believe what am saying? yes. Do I believe what you are saying? not as much in this case.

Tanning and being sunburned are two different things. Equating the two is like saying a medium raw steak is the same thing as a charcoaled one.

I don't want to win anything, I just made a point and I'm presenting stuff to support it.

The point is in certain warm weather areas when they consider the sun as not being really hot (low 90s and below), applying sunscreen is considered odd and unnecessary (like wearing sunglasses indoors). And this was to present a counter point to someone living in Iowa and being confused by schools closing due to the temperature being barely below 0.

As far as witnessing someone get picked on for doing this, yes. I remember 3 instances and one of them I felt really bad because I partook in the making fun of the person for applying sunscreen in Jamaica on a day I thought was pleasant (it was mid 80s) . It was my roommate at the time and he is from Irish decent and even with the sunscreen and the sun being not very hot, he was bright red by the end of the day and it made the rest of his trip a little bit rough. Also had it happen at Cape Town, our tour guide explicitly laughed and said put that away you don't need it today in such a beautiful day (it was high 90s). Last and most recent time was in Kenya when I was there for work and I put some on my face and neck got questioned about why did I need it (it was over 100).
  • myrab51
    myrab51 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The sunscreen argument is just getting silly. I was born and raised in Florida. We all know to use sunblock, just like we all know to drink plenty of water. No one looks at anyone crazy for using it any time of the year. Even African-Americans and other dark skinned people can get burned, but not quite as quickly. Either way, UV is UV. Anyone can get skin cancer from UV, even without getting burned.

As far as tribal cultures near the equator, people in African tribes without sunblock available have the sense to get out of the sun or throw on a cover during certain times of the day.

Go read up instead of going back and forth. (It talks about different skin colors getting sunburn as well.)

http://www.skincancer.org/prevention/skin-cancer-and-skin-of-color
  • rml_16
    Options
    As far as witnessing someone get picked on for doing this, yes. I remember 3 instances and one of them I felt really bad because I partook in the making fun of the person for applying sunscreen in Jamaica on a day I thought was pleasant (it was mid 80s) . It was my roommate at the time and he is from Irish decent and even with the sunscreen and the sun being not very hot, he was bright red by the end of the day and it made the rest of his trip a little bit rough. Also had it happen at Cape Town, our tour guide explicitly laughed and said put that away you don't need it today in such a beautiful day (it was high 90s). Last and most recent time was in Kenya when I was there for work and I put some on my face and neck got questioned about why did I need it (it was over 100).

So people who don't understand how the sun works were making fun of people who do.

Gotcha.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

I'm still not quite understanding the fact that, according to you, one can not get sun burn if it's "not that hot out". I have been out in the sun when it was a whopping 70 degrees and I've gotten burned from it. I've been in the sun when it was 90 degrees and I have gotten burned from it. I have been outside when it was cloudy and hazy with absolutely NO sun and have gotten burned from it. Oh and I know people who have been skiing in extremely cold weather and have gotten sunburn on their face.

So again. Not understanding what the temperature has to do with whether or not one gets burned.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    In the Antarctic you are pretty much walking on a mirror that isn't absorbing as much of the UV rays and reflecting them back up.

Right there you just knocked your position, that likely hood of sunburn has to do with high temperatures, right out of the water. :huh:
  • _NAUTILUS_
    _NAUTILUS_ Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    winterwear_zpsb187c76a.jpg
  • vtmoon
    Options

Right there you just knocked your position, that likely hood of sunburn has to do with high temperatures, right out of the water. :huh:

Do you know what my position is?