I'm on a diet, but my husband isn't

Options

Replies

• MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    My Hubs isn't on board with lighter eating either. He's getting better about the healthier options but still tends to have an automatic "ick" reaction when I bring home things like whole wheat pasta. I actually got to the point early on where I'd just hide ingredients from him, wait for his reaction and then tell him that it was the healthier version. In most cases, he had absolutely no clue. The one major disaster was fat free shredded cheese - that stuff is just evil! Melted cheese should not look like plastic! LOL!

Anyway, like others have said, ultimately you can still eat the things you both like. Maybe try to lighten up the recipes a bit with leaner/less meat, a little less pasta/rice/potato and a little more veggies. I tend to add extra bell peppers, mushrooms, broccoli and sometimes carrots to a lot of my favorite recipes. Or like some have said, have a smaller portion of the decadant dish (all of it, pasta, sauce etc so you're not feeling like you're missing out) and fill the rest of your plate with steamed veggies or salad. Just make sure to keep your portions light.

One other trick I've been trying to do is slow down my eating. I used to keep pace with Hubs and I think that was part of the problem with eating so much - it was like a contest. Now I eat slowly, taking time with each bite, cutting meat into little pieces, etc and although I eat less, we usually finish around the same time or he might even finish before me.

FYI, for alfredo, if you go with jarred sauce, I discovered Classico makes a good light alfredo sauce. Or you can search for recipes online that are lighter. The ones I used to make used low fat, low sodium cream of mushroom soup with a little milk and a little parm and hubby was pretty fond of it but I like the jarred sauce better.

It can be done! Best of luck!
  • kbolton322
    kbolton322 Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I cook one meal for me and my family... I ask my husband what he would like and then I make it when I can eat it.. I was doing two diffenent meals but I was going crazy trying to keep up with it so I just do it like this... If my husband don't like he can either cook his own meals or just not eat...
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I too just cook one meal for the family... I eat what I cook... noodles, sauce, chicken... whatever... but I put it on a salad plate and try to fill half of it with vegetables... that way I still feel satisfied by eating what I want... but not eating it all.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Same boat! My fiance is 6'10 so he needs a lot of food just to survive. I make hearty meals but just give myself a smaller portion. It's difficult because he LOVES pasta, and watching him eat his heaping bowl while I munch on my measly cup of pasta sucks, but you get used to it. I also try to eat lighter during the day to save room for a larger dinner.
  • radioonemike
    radioonemike Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My wife often diets much more than I do. While I have to exercise a bit and diet a little to lose some weight.

What usually works when I am trying to support her (and eat better myself), here's what we try to do.

-If you are making more involved dishes that have sauces or other types of caloric goodness, either just make enough for his regular portion and your smaller portion. Or make a batch and individually freeze both your portion sizes. Out of sight and mind, but they servings are there when you don't have the time to cook.

-If you grill or bbq (I know they are not the same!) trying using leaner cuts of meat, or leaner options for just yourself. And if you must and want to eat a better cut of meat (and who doesn't) adjust your side dishes to include more vegetables and less starchy carbohydrates.

-Try to get rid of as much starchy carbs as you can stand. Replace with vegetables. I am part Italian in heritage. So every Sunday I usually make macaroni, gravy, meatballs and sausage or a lasagna. But last night instead of eating more pasta for dinner, I cooked up some frozen zucchini and had that with the meatballs and sausage instead. Or sometimes when I make a lasagna i use eggplant as the noodles.

It might be difficult at first, but if you use MFP, you can realize all sorts of tweaks you can do to your foods that will add up. And don't forget to cheat! Having a big cheat meal once a week is great way to feel like your are not limiting yourself.

I'd also pickup a Fitbit or another fitness tracker to see how much activity you are doing and how that can affect your caloric ceiling. Maybe you can eat a little more if your activity level is higher.

Everything does add up... Good luck!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Stop dieting.

Make a life change.

done.
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    My husband is 6'7" and a bricklayer. He's in great shape and needs to keep up his calorie intake because in his job he's basically lifting heavy all day long. When he gets home from work he eats a sandwich before dinner because he's hungry and dinner's not ready yet for the both of us since we're both working. Since he's already eaten 200-300 calories, we don't make as much for dinner and our portion sizes end up being about the same.

It works for us.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Are there foods he really likes and you don't? Maybe try making those the main course and sides that you like and will eat less of.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Sure, I've been there! I was overweight and my husband wasn't so we tackled this by making separate meals. IF there was a meal we agreed on (example: tacos) we made them lean and healthy with turkey and then he just ate double what I did. :) Portion control! That's all willpower, and you will have to get used to saying no even if it is in front of you. :) You can, it just takes time.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I'm just happy we are on page 2 and it hasn't devolved into "I know girlfriend! I know how you can lose 180 lbs quick, right, and in a hurry!"
  • battybecks
    battybecks Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    My bf and I take it in turns to cook - I have a cooking week, then he does.

He tries his best to make his weeks relatively healthy, and he's getting better at it, but calorie counting is sooo much easier when it's me doing the cooking!

Either way, I eat a very small breakfast and lunch, and save dinner as my main big meal (as other people were saying). I cook LOADS of food - but with veggies making up the bulk, and lean meat and fewer carbs than I used to. I use less cheese and less oil when cooking and I make substitutions like crème fraiche for cream, etc. He also gets bigger portions. He never goes hungry - but we realised recently that he had lost some weight with all the healthy food, and he's started having bigger lunches to balance it out.

It's totally doable. Good luck!
  • gelendestrasse
    Options
    I'm with the "cook what you like but eat less" thought. The idea of substituting some things for noodles or potato is good too. Just eat slowly and enjoy what you've got and let him chow down as he pleases. You can also suggest exercise things you can do together, walks, bikes, etc. that will get the metabolism up for both of you.
  • dzlilo
    dzlilo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My fiance isn't following the same diet as I am either. He's a meat and potatoes kind of man!. I have to watch my carb intake and sodium levels. The meals that fit both of our needs so far involve a protein with one or two veggies. We eat a lot of chicken breasts! We tend to roast or "oven fry" to reduce the calories. For pasta dishes, he'll get real pasta while I use shirataki. It looks like a noodle so I don't feel deprived seeing his big plate of yumminess. I did buy a thing to make "noodles" out of veggies, but haven't used it yet. When I serve anything with potatoes, I'll set aside a small, plain one for me and fix the rest as usual for him. I tried to fight it, but I gave in to trying the "riced cauliflower." It's not that bad. I sauteed some in a tiny bit of seasame oil with a sprinkle of black pepper. It was good with some homemade Chinese stir fry. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to eat what he eats though.
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I totally know how you feel. My husband is trying to bulk and I'm trying to slim down (if only I could give him my 'excess').

If I'm making a big pot of something I will portion out one serving for me, two for him and immediately (even before sitting down to eat) put the rest in tupperware containers for lunches or another dinner.

If I'm making something that is only supposed to be for one night, I will make three portions - one for me and two for him - this way I literally cannot have more. I always make tons of veggies, though. You can return for seconds or thirds on those if it fits into your day.

GL!

This is what I do. Or when cooking for non-dieting husband AND adult son, I make 5 small portions and have just one while they have 2 each.
  • RosieRaz
    RosieRaz Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Yeah, my husband and I get into conversations about the dinner food as well. He's a laborer and could probably eat 2000-3000 calories a day and argues that just because I'm on a diet, he doesn't need to be too. I've found two things that work...

1. Make meals that are not one dish meals (Crockpot meals, cassaroles, skillets etc. ). These used to be my standby because they were easy. Now I ususally make something on the grill, have one carb side and one veggie side.

2. Either make enough for just one meal or portion out the leftovers into tupperware to use as my lunches for work. (The husband also doesn't eat leftovers... :/)
  • Smeltzer2
    Smeltzer2 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    It is none of our business what others eat. Make dinner, take your pirtion eat moderately wgatever it is. He may ecen enjoy any leftovers for lunch the next day. If you are eating healthy the rest of the day, just eat a regular dinner and keep your goaks, but don't deprive him. Does his job get him lots of exercise. He is probably burning more calories.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Not only do I have a husband that can eat anything he wants, I also have 2 teenage/preteen boys who can also and 2 younger step kids who are pickier. I do all the cooking, and planning ahead is is the absolute most important part. I make healthier versions of the favorites, and everyone has gotten accustomed to it. There is no reason for anyone to suffer. I have a great version of alfredo that is made with chicken broth, fat free greek yogurt, parmesean and a few other things and my family loves it! I never fry anything, use the leanest cuts of meat possible and always have loads of veggies on which to fill up even if no one else wants that. It's hard to pass up the treats that i provide for them, but I was able to allow myself a piece of king cake yesterday because I know it's important for me to leave some extra calories for an evening dessert on some days.
  • aimeedavids13
    Options
    I am so on the same boat. My husband has the metabolism of a 12 year old school girl. And a huge sweet tooth. I begged him to keep the sweets out of sight but just to tell you how bad it is. I did so good all week last week, lost 4 lbs. Spent 2 days with my husband and our 6 years old and then her school was canceled due to inclement weather and there I was at home with her all day with a full bag of Oreos! I weighed this a.m. as I typically do on Monday a.m. and I weighed 4 lbs heavier after just 3 days! It's like I diet all week just so I don't gain any additional weight over the weekend. My husband typically cooks dinner for him and my daughter because he is a school teacher and they both get home earlier than me (I don't get home until 7:00) so I think I am just going to try to go by the gym while they are eating dinner and then when I get home from the gym I can have a protein banana smoothie and the temptation should be out of the way by that time. Now to figure out what to do on the weekends. My husband will not adopt to my way of eating and he will encourage me any way he can as long as he doesn't have to change his eating/exercising lifestyle. ;-)
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    When my boyfriend is over for dinner, he knows I'm going to do something healthy. I prelog what I plan to eat. I dish out what I want then he can go at it (he is also one that can eat whatever he wants). Then if there are leftovers I save them for my lunch the next day or he takes them for lunch.

I agree about skinnytaste, I made this one twice in a week awhile back it was so good. The bf definitely didn't think it was low calorie! http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/04/cheesy-jalapeno-popper-baked-stuffed.html

ETA: my bf is asian and grew up with rice as a staple. If he needs more filler we'll make rice for him and I just won't have any.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I had weight loss surgery 2.5 years ago and my diet is drasticly different than my husband's. And, because of our different work schedules, he cooks most of our meals. So, I take what I can of the meals either of us cook, and he eats what he wants. Simple. I do not do fast food anymore by choice. He respects that and doesn't have that if I need to eat too. He's gotten quite good a grilling or broiling meats and having a green vegetable or salad with the protein. We make it work, but really it's all about respecting each other. He wants me to be healthy, which translates for me to being smaller. He doesn't eat exactly like I do, but he does respect what I'm doing and doesn't try to change me.

As for eating it if it's there, I totally relate to that. Change up what you make so you can fill up on healthy food. Feeling deprived or always hungry I believe leads to failure. And remember, even though your husband doesn't gain weight from what he's eating right now, that will most likely change on him in a few years. My husband is 6'8" and was skinny as a rail until he hit 40 and then he started gaining weight. Making healthy changes in your household diet now will benefit you right now as you try to lose, but also benefit your husband as time goes on. Having a healthier diet is only a plus for you both.