I heard they cancelled school in Florida today

Options

Replies

• WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Being from Florida and having many facebook friends from there also, my newsfeed was jammed packed with people complaining about the weather. My murder tendencies were at an all time high this morning

Ry, I so know exaclty what you mean, and since you're only an hour from me I know the cold you are experiencing! They were complaing last week about the cold and it as funny at first. Now it's just a little crazy!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In the Antarctic you are pretty much walking on a mirror that isn't absorbing as much of the UV rays and reflecting them back up.

Right there you just knocked your position, that likely hood of sunburn has to do with high temperatures, right out of the water. :huh:

Do you know what my position is?
    You have stated several times that the hotter it is, the stronger the sun is.

Well, let me tell you about New York state, where in the summer, one day it can be 100 degrees and the next, it's 30. And the sun can be out both days.

You're telling me that in the course of 24 hours, the sun's intensity has decreased so much that the temperatures dropped 70 degrees? Oh, and on day 3, it might be back up to 100. The earth is doing some serious acrobatics on its journey through space, I guess.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    As far as witnessing someone get picked on for doing this, yes. I remember 3 instances and one of them I felt really bad because I partook in the making fun of the person for applying sunscreen in Jamaica on a day I thought was pleasant (it was mid 80s) . It was my roommate at the time and he is from Irish decent and even with the sunscreen and the sun being not very hot, he was bright red by the end of the day and it made the rest of his trip a little bit rough. Also had it happen at Cape Town, our tour guide explicitly laughed and said put that away you don't need it today in such a beautiful day (it was high 90s). Last and most recent time was in Kenya when I was there for work and I put some on my face and neck got questioned about why did I need it (it was over 100).

So people who don't understand how the sun works were making fun of people who do.

Gotcha.

The same way someone from Iowa doesn't understand what a little cold can do to someone in Florida. Glad we made a full circle to the original point...
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Anyone resident for any length of time in a hot and/or sunny country making fun of someone for putting on sunscreen is more likely to be doing so as a revenge for the person having annoyed them, not because they think applying sunscreen is crazy.

As a resident in a relatively warm tourist place people are more likely to try to convince tourists to put something on because our sunlight here is quite deceptive.

I, personally, stop a couple people every year to suggest they either cover up or put sunscreen on because I know how badly they're going to be burned.

Edited to add: I have long threatened that if we ever get to freezing I'm calling in sick and walking out to the main road to watch the idiots try to drive in those conditions.
  • rml_16
    Options
    As far as witnessing someone get picked on for doing this, yes. I remember 3 instances and one of them I felt really bad because I partook in the making fun of the person for applying sunscreen in Jamaica on a day I thought was pleasant (it was mid 80s) . It was my roommate at the time and he is from Irish decent and even with the sunscreen and the sun being not very hot, he was bright red by the end of the day and it made the rest of his trip a little bit rough. Also had it happen at Cape Town, our tour guide explicitly laughed and said put that away you don't need it today in such a beautiful day (it was high 90s). Last and most recent time was in Kenya when I was there for work and I put some on my face and neck got questioned about why did I need it (it was over 100).

So people who don't understand how the sun works were making fun of people who do.

Gotcha.

The same way someone from Iowa doesn't understand what a little cold can do to someone in Florida. Glad we made a full circle to the original point...
    Actually, no. Because how hot it is has nothing to do with needing sunscreen. Your example is flawed.

You would have been better served pointing out how in the northern winters, when it's 50, people are throwing on their shorts, but in northern summers when it's 50, people are bundled up -- because the temperature swing is jarring.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

Gotcha.

Seriously though. Explain to me again how the "temperature" determines whether or not someone gets sunburn.

Several people (including myself) have pointed out the flaws in your argument.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    honestly .. WIMPS.
  • vtmoon
    Options
    In the Antarctic you are pretty much walking on a mirror that isn't absorbing as much of the UV rays and reflecting them back up.

Right there you just knocked your position, that likely hood of sunburn has to do with high temperatures, right out of the water. :huh:

Well, let me tell you about New York state, where in the summer, one day it can be 100 degrees and the next, it's 30. And the sun can be out both days.

You're telling me that in the course of 24 hours, the sun's intensity has decreased so much that the temperatures dropped 70 degrees? Oh, and on day 3, it might be back up to 100. The earth is doing some serious acrobatics on its journey through space, I guess.

You were trying to point out that temperature has nothing to do with using sunscreen and I was saying it was a decent indicator to help you determine if you might need it or not. The hotter it is mean chances are less UV rays are being blocked which means your skin will need extra protection vs when it is cooler weather. Hence, the cooler term is relative to where you live, which in part affects when you apply sunscreen if at all.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    They probably do not have heating in the schools lol
    I used to live in Miami. Our local movie theater didn't have heat. One weird cold snap, we were bundled like eskimos inside.

And some people who live in FL may not even own a warm coat.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

You were trying to point out that temperature has nothing to do with using sunscreen and I was saying it was a decent indicator to help you determine if you might need it or not. The hotter it is mean chances are less UV rays are being blocked which means your skin will need extra protection vs when it is cooler weather. Hence, the cooler term is relative to where you live, which in part affects when you apply sunscreen if at all.

Okay. Given the above statement then explain to me how people get sunburned when it's overcast out and the sun isn't shining? I have been on the beach when it is chilly out and it is overcast and I've gotten sunburn. Explain to me how this is possible if, according to you, it's cold out and the UV rays are being blocked by clouds.
  • vtmoon
    Options

Gotcha.

Seriously though. Explain to me again how the "temperature" determines whether or not someone gets sunburn.

Hotter temperature tend to happen when a lot of UV rays are getting to your location on the planet, the more UV rays hitting your skin the more likely you will get burned by those rays. I've been saying this all along temperature is a good indicator.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

That's absolutely rubbish- you can burn on a cloudy day- happens all the time in the desert.

I worked construction for 5 years in the the North East- I used sunscreen year round- you know why BECAUSE YOU BURN WHEN IT"S COLD JUST AS MUCH AS WHEN IT"S HOT.

You're not being trolled- we are just pointing out how incredibly wrong you are.

PS people with lots of meletonin- they burn too.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Gotcha.

Hotter temperature tend to happen when a lot of UV rays are getting to your location on the planet, the more UV rays hitting your skin the more likely you will get burned by those rays. I've been saying this all along temperature is a good indicator.

Okay. Given the above statement then explain to me how people get sunburned when it's overcast out and the sun isn't shining? I have been on the beach when it is chilly out and it is overcast and I've gotten sunburn. Explain to me how this is possible if, according to you, it's cold out and the UV rays are being blocked by clouds.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    they had 2 hour delays in Charlotte, Nc this morning because it was in the single digits. While I live in Charlotte, I'm from Central PA so this 2 hour delay deal confused me. I posed it on FB and the main reason, it seems, is that they were uncertain if the buses would start. In the mountains they cancelled schools completely.

I put it out on facebook because the buses never seemed to have a problem starting up when I was a kid. I don't know how legit it is but one of my friends said that the northern buses have some sort of an engine block heater.

Another friend said that the greatest concern is really for the kids standing out at the bus stops or walking to school because most people just aren't properly prepared for cold weather. This isn't just a matter of choosing when purchasing winter gear, but also what's available in stores. My 4 year old has to be layered because not only is a puffy coat impractical down here 363 days a year, they're difficult to find in stores (along with mittens thicker than paper, snow boots . . . what's snow?, and an actually warm hat).

This. I live in the county south of charlotte and they didn't delay the schools and someone I know said that she was waiting with her son in her car at the bus stop and after the bus was late by 5 minutes she called the schools and they had a hard time starting so the busses were running a hour late. They were going to let the kids stand outside in 8 degree (-5 with windchill) weather for over an hour waiting for the bus. She ended up having them all call their parents to let them know she was taking them to school instead of them waiting for the bus.
  • rml_16
    Options

When I lived in NY and it was 90, I could get away with SPF 15. At that same time of my life, I went to the Bahamas and it was 90 and I burned through SPF 45.

Same temperature, but the sun in the Bahamas was stronger than in NY.

Do I agree that the sun in stronger in certain parts of the world? Sure. And I also agree that when you live in those places, your skin becomes more accustomed to it.

But temperature has nothing to do with it and people (even dark-skinned people) still need sunscreen to avoid burning.

As for your earlier comment about tan vs. burn, you certainly feel better with a tan, but the sun damage is the same.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    It was 10 when I got moving this morning. Schools in Memphis are closed. Cities like ours are not prepared to deal with that low of a temperature. Most of the inner city school kids do not have proper clothes in a normal winter for us, make it actually really cold around here and it could be a dangerous situation for ten just waiting on the school buses.

Btw, screw this crap, this is why I could never live up north. I also never understood the appeal of those bragging about how miserably cold it is where they live like its a badge of honor.

"Hehehe...dumb rednecks think 23 is cold. It was -45 here yesterday and my eye balls froze open when I stepped outside. They don't know anything about the cold. I go swimming when its 23 out." <-- like WTF is that? That sounds miserable, you need to stop bragging and move somewhere that your balls won't instantly freeze off if your pants accidentally fall down.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Im in Ga. It was 3* this morning in my little town. It was 19 in Anchorage AK. We are not equiped for this type of weather. Seems like I remember a bunch of Northeners having heat strokes a few years back when their temps got up in the 90's and low 100's. People grow accustom to their environment. It doesn't make us silly, it makes us adaptable.

Yep. This. :happy:
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Hot temperatures are correlated with sunburns more than cold temperatures because in hot temperatures you're less likely to be bundled up (especially at the beach) and you're more likely to be spending extended time out-of-doors in the daytime. They are not causative.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options

Gotcha.

You have never been sunburned while sking before then I take it.
  • rml_16
    Options
    "Hehehe...dumb rednecks think 23 is cold. It was -45 here yesterday and my eye balls froze open when I stepped outside. They don't know anything about the cold. I go swimming when its 23 out." <-- like WTF is that? That sounds miserable, you need to stop bragging and move somewhere that your balls won't instantly freeze off if your pants accidentally fall down.

No one goes swimming when it's 23. Those people are idiots.

I do laugh at Floridians in their winter coats and scarves when it's 70 out. I mean, seriously???

But 23 is cold. I don't care where you live.