Cold morning breakfast ideas

Options
13»

Replies

• Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal or Farina are my favorites. Or something freshly baked right out of the oven.
  • moondawn
    moondawn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Non-egg, non-cold bfast ideas:

1) whole wheat toast with peanut butter ( i like the thin sliced 45 cal kind by sara lee)
    2) whole wheat small tortilla (you can find the carb balance kind, too) with 1 slice reduced fat cheese (and chopped veggies should you be so incined)
    3) peanut butter banana open face sandwich
    4) peanut butter oatmeal (You can also mix chocolate protein powder into this to make a supercharged bfast)
    5) cream of wheat (not the most nutrient packed thing ever, but adds more variety)
    6) Wheat toast with cottage cheese and orange marmalade on top
  • albertine58
    albertine58 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    when I want something sweet & warm for breakfast, I love a whole grain english muffin with 1 tbsp Justin's Maple Almond Butter and 1 tbsp low-sugar jam - only 220 calories and so delicious! Justin's looks expensive but omg, it's worth it. and 1 jar lasts me forever, so the $10 doesn't hurt so bad!

If I know it'll be a long time until lunch or I'm extra hungry, I usually have scrambled egg whites on the side for more protein - since you don't do eggs, maybe yogurt? I've also heard of people whipping yogurt and almond butter together to make an almost cream-cheese-like spread for english muffins or waffles. or if you like sweet coffee drinks, I've heard mixing vanilla protein powder into coffee makes a great hot AM drink!
  • marinamoreno
    Options
    Wow! Thank you everyone, SOOO many awesome suggestions. I can't wait to start trying them out.

Oh & I don't eat eggs due to the texture. Thank you again.
  • JessiEdwards
    Options
    I've kinda created my own recipe from the below.
    1/2 cup rolled oats
    1/2 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
    3 chopped dates
    156 calories, 35 carbs, 1 fat, 5 protein, 14 sugar

Chop the dates, mix the ingredients in a container of your choice and let sit overnight in the refrigerator. You can warm it up in the microwave in the morning if you want it warm and add some nuts of your choice for added texture and protein. I would measure the nuts out as those calories add up!

WF Version has more calories and ingredients:
    http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/overnight-oatmeal
  • sheep_dog
    sheep_dog Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I really like a piece of wheat toast with 2 tbs of natural peanut butter. Only smuckers, as they are the only brand I've found with only peanuts as the ingredients with nothing else. Other brands like jiff will have a natural version but always has added sugar.

It's fast, warm, and filling! And right at ~270 calories, it's a good breakfast:)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Waffles covered in peanut butter...
  • sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Breakast sandwhich on the George Foreman for 240 calories:

Thomas' - Whole Wheat 100 Calories English Muffin, 1 muffin 100 cal
    Jones Dairy Farm - All Natural Golden Brown Turkey Sausage Patties, 40 g 60 cal
    Sargento - Sharp Cheddar - Thin Slice, 1 Slice 80cal
    Tomato slice
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I deal with the same thing. I have been in Florida for the last few years, and I haven't had to deal with winter until recently. Yesterday I discovered what is now the greatest joy in my life. I mix oatmeal (2 packets), peanut butter (2T), cinnamon (~1/2t), chocolate protein powder (1 serving). It tastes just like a Little Debbie Star Crunch. That makes a double batch because I'm working on getting my calories up, but it's pretty easy to come up with some really nice proportions. If you're using normal oatmeal, you may want to try sweetening with a bit of honey.

Since I use instant oatmeal, it doesn't take much longer than a protein shake, and there aren't really any dishes, which is a big bonus for me in the morning. It's also much quieter than a blender.

That sounds REALLY good. I'm going to try that!
  • marinamoreno
    Options
    I deal with the same thing. I have been in Florida for the last few years, and I haven't had to deal with winter until recently. Yesterday I discovered what is now the greatest joy in my life. I mix oatmeal (2 packets), peanut butter (2T), cinnamon (~1/2t), chocolate protein powder (1 serving). It tastes just like a Little Debbie Star Crunch. That makes a double batch because I'm working on getting my calories up, but it's pretty easy to come up with some really nice proportions. If you're using normal oatmeal, you may want to try sweetening with a bit of honey.

Since I use instant oatmeal, it doesn't take much longer than a protein shake, and there aren't really any dishes, which is a big bonus for me in the morning. It's also much quieter than a blender.

I used to LOVE those Star Crunches! This sounds so good. Oddly enough, I've never thought to put protein powder in oatmeal. I feel silly seeing so many people do! LOL
  • debilee12
    debilee12 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Bagel and cream cheese with some smoked salmon is delicious and full of protein (I had that this morning).
    Cereal and milk
    Greek yogurt with fruit and granola
    Oatmeal

Or just skip breakfast if you're not hungry.

Bagels are sooo not good for you - full of carbs, fats, sugars. Of course, if it works for you then that's all that matters. Personally I would stick to the greek yogurt or oatmeal. Just my opinion.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    I have a hot, freshly made muffin every morning. This is my recipe:

1/4 cup Flax Meal (I've also tried Almond, Chickpea, and Buckwheat flours and it worked fine too)
    1/2 tsp Baking Powder
    1/4 tsp Sugar (optional)
    Pinch of Salt
    1/2 tbsp Oil or Butter (I use butter because, YUM!)
    1 Egg
    (I've also added a tsp of flavorless Metamucil to this and it works. I get enough fiber, but my husband likes when I add more since he never gets enough)

I make a big batch of the dry ingredients and keep them in a container and then just use a heaping 1/4 cup so that I don't have to grab all the ingredients every morning. After my morning cup of coffee, I just mix this in the mug, microwave for 1 minute, cut in half (it slides right out of the mug), and finish with a little more butter. It's warm, fresh, and I'm using an already dirty dish, so less clean up! It's about 300 calories with the Metamucil, with 13 grams of fiber. Without is about 275 with 8 grams of fiber.

oooh this sounds good and easy, something to take to work !! thanks for sharing !
  • HeatherFP13
    HeatherFP13 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bumping so I remember to come back here! Yeah for warm breakfasts :)
  • iamMLH
    iamMLH Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I used to LOVE those Star Crunches! This sounds so good. Oddly enough, I've never thought to put protein powder in oatmeal. I feel silly seeing so many people do! LOL

It really is the best decision I've ever made.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I like cream of wheat and oatmeal.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of easy so most days I will go for some oatmeal. I normally workout first thing in the morning and the carbs seem to hit the spot just right. I usually only make 1/3 cup or so.
  • TonyAntoszewski
    TonyAntoszewski Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a great recipe for Steel Cut Apple Pie Oatmeal if you want
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I can give you a recipe for this really good baked oatmeal with pecans and blueberries and bananas... It's really good I'm sure you could add protein powder to it but I don't.
  • estatitra
    estatitra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    High protein cereal with warm milk.