I heard they cancelled school in Florida today

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Hot temperatures are correlated with sunburns more than cold temperatures because in hot temperatures you're less likely to be bundled up (especially at the beach) and you're more likely to be spending extended time out-of-doors in the daytime. They are not causative.
    Begone with your logic!
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    "Hehehe...dumb rednecks think 23 is cold. It was -45 here yesterday and my eye balls froze open when I stepped outside. They don't know anything about the cold. I go swimming when its 23 out." <-- like WTF is that? That sounds miserable, you need to stop bragging and move somewhere that your balls won't instantly freeze off if your pants accidentally fall down.

No one goes swimming when it's 23. Those people are idiots.

I do laugh at Floridians in their winter coats and scarves when it's 70 out. I mean, seriously???

But 23 is cold. I don't care where you live.

Ever heard of the Penguin Plunge? I've seen people jump into lakes when it's way colder than that.

Insane if you ask me!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    In the Antarctic you are pretty much walking on a mirror that isn't absorbing as much of the UV rays and reflecting them back up.

Right there you just knocked your position, that likely hood of sunburn has to do with high temperatures, right out of the water. :huh:

Do you know what my position is?
    You have stated several times that the hotter it is, the stronger the sun is.

Well, let me tell you about New York state, where in the summer, one day it can be 100 degrees and the next, it's 30. And the sun can be out both days.

You're telling me that in the course of 24 hours, the sun's intensity has decreased so much that the temperatures dropped 70 degrees? Oh, and on day 3, it might be back up to 100. The earth is doing some serious acrobatics on its journey through space, I guess.

You were trying to point out that temperature has nothing to do with using sunscreen and I was saying it was a decent indicator to help you determine if you might need it or not. The hotter it is mean chances are less UV rays are being blocked which means your skin will need extra protection vs when it is cooler weather. Hence, the cooler term is relative to where you live, which in part affects when you apply sunscreen if at all.

Okay. Given the above statement then explain to me how people get sunburned when it's overcast out and the sun isn't shining? I have been on the beach when it is chilly out and it is overcast and I've gotten sunburn. Explain to me how this is possible if, according to you, it's cold out and the UV rays are being blocked by clouds.

Actually, the clouds are said to make it worse compared to a clear sky due to UV-B bouncing around and causing refraction ( instead just the sun UV-B rays hitting you, the whole clouded area is bouncing some towards you). As far as your question goes, the clouds are water they don't stop UV rays, you are still getting hit by those rays, and if enough hit your skin, again it will cause a sunburn.

The original point that started all this was, higher temperature is a good indicator of needing to use sunscreen in warm parts of the world because they tend to not need to use sunscreen when it is cooler because their skin is used to it. So when someone uses sunscreen at the weather they are used to, to them that is considered odd because it is out of the ordinary.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    It was 10 when I got moving this morning. Schools in Memphis are closed. Cities like ours are not prepared to deal with that low of a temperature. Most of the inner city school kids do not have proper clothes in a normal winter for us, make it actually really cold around here and it could be a dangerous situation for ten just waiting on the school buses.

Btw, screw this crap, this is why I could never live up north. I also never understood the appeal of those bragging about how miserably cold it is where they live like its a badge of honor.

"Hehehe...dumb rednecks think 23 is cold. It was -45 here yesterday and my eye balls froze open when I stepped outside. They don't know anything about the cold. I go swimming when its 23 out." <-- like WTF is that? That sounds miserable, you need to stop bragging and move somewhere that your balls won't instantly freeze off if your pants accidentally fall down.

Not just kids waiting for school buses, but black ice/minor snowfall is a HUGE concern for communities that don't regularly get that kind of weather. I live in CT and we got a couple inches randomly this morning, and I still was out and about in the least snow-friendly vehicle ever, because the plows and salt/sand trucks had been out and done a few passes. They did this because we allot $30 million a year on our snow removal budget. We do this because we have to.

For Atlanta or Memphis or Gainesville or whatever to do this would be so fiscally irresponsible it would be downright criminal. If you don't have the need to spend thirty million on snow removal, you DON'T, because you won't use it. A fully outfitted plow truck is somewhere around $150 thousand. If you don't get snow, you use that money elsewhere.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    It was 10 when I got moving this morning. Schools in Memphis are closed. Cities like ours are not prepared to deal with that low of a temperature. Most of the inner city school kids do not have proper clothes in a normal winter for us, make it actually really cold around here and it could be a dangerous situation for ten just waiting on the school buses.

Btw, screw this crap, this is why I could never live up north. I also never understood the appeal of those bragging about how miserably cold it is where they live like its a badge of honor.

:heart: :heart: :heart: :flowerforyou: Always love what you have to say Elliot!
  • rml_16
    Options

I do laugh at Floridians in their winter coats and scarves when it's 70 out. I mean, seriously???

Ever heard of the Penguin Plunge? I've seen people jump into lakes when it's way colder than that.

Insane if you ask me!

Well, yeah (though I've always heard it called a polar bear plunge), but it's not like people are regularly hanging around the pool sipping mai tais and relaxing in those temps. And the plunge is a quick in and out. Otherwise, they'd all die!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

When my best friend from the was deployed- she came back and froze her *kitten* off in 60* weather. Even 70 was cold for her.

Like someone else said- it doesn't make them silly- it' makes us adaptable. We get used to our environment.
  • rml_16
    Options
    The original point that started all this was, higher temperature is a good indicator of needing to use sunscreen in warm parts of the world because they tend to not need to use sunscreen when it is cooler because their skin is used to it.

And not one word of that is correct,
  • rml_16
    Options

When my best friend from the was deployed- she came back and froze her *kitten* off in 60* weather. Even 70 was cold for her.

Like someone else said- it doesn't make them silly- it' makes us adaptable. We get used to our environment.
    I have lived in a tropical climate for nine years. Someone who is cold enough in 70 degrees to wear a winter coat should have her thyroid checked.
  • vtmoon
    Options
    Hot temperatures are correlated with sunburns more than cold temperatures because in hot temperatures you're less likely to be bundled up (especially at the beach) and you're more likely to be spending extended time out-of-doors in the daytime. They are not causative.

Everyone is missing the point where I say hot temperature is a good indicator for people in warm weather to use sunscreen...

You get burned due to UV rays hitting your skin, in Antarctica like people pointed out your face is getting burned because it is the most exposed to those rays. In the beach you are getting burned because your body is less clothed and more exposed to the UV rays.

In a warm weather area go and spend a full day during the winter naked on a beach all day and let me know how bad was your sunburn. I think at this point I might as well just throw my hands up because I seem to be saying the world is round to the wrong crowd.:explode:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

In Mexico when it gets down into the 80's and it's breezy they are bundling up with jackets. I've seen some people wearing winter coats when it dips below 80.

I'm always freezing in any temperature below 75.
  • vtmoon
    Options
    The original point that started all this was, higher temperature is a good indicator of needing to use sunscreen in warm parts of the world because they tend to not need to use sunscreen when it is cooler because their skin is used to it.

And not one word of that is correct,

lol, I guess we will just have to agree to disagree then.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    In a warm weather area go and spend a full day during the winter naked on a beach all day and let me know how bad was your sunburn. I think at this point I might as well just throw my hands up because I seem to be saying the world is round to the wrong crowd

Been there, done that. Didn't get burned.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    this explains why florida has a hanging chad problem.
  • Followingsea
    Followingsea Posts: 407 Member
    Options

I have lived in a tropical climate for nine years. Someone who is cold enough in 70 degrees to wear a winter coat should have her thyroid checked.

You adapt back fast, but that happened to a friend. He was deployed to an area where the daily average temp was over 115 for weeks at a time. Then one night a weird cold front rolled in and the temp dropped down to 80. His squad was FREEZING, he said they all were huddled together for warmth.
  • rml_16
    Options
    In a warm weather area go and spend a full day during the winter naked on a beach all day and let me know how bad was your sunburn. I think at this point I might as well just throw my hands up because I seem to be saying the world is round to the wrong crowd

Nothing about temperature: http://www2.epa.gov/sunwise/calculating-uv-index
    http://www2.epa.gov/sites/production/files/documents/uvradiation.pdf

"The sun’s angle varies with the seasons, causing the intensity of UV rays to change. UV intensity tends to be highest in the summer."
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    30 deg is below freezing and with that part of the country having more moisture then most others ice will be a big factor. People in the south do not know how to deal with ice on the roads.

So I think it was more from a stand point about ice on the road over just cold
  • vtmoon
    Options

Yet you aren't following my point?

shocked-spit-out-drink-o.gif
  • rml_16
    Options

You adapt back fast, but that happened to a friend. He was deployed to an area where the daily average temp was over 115 for weeks at a time. Then one night a weird cold front rolled in and the temp dropped down to 80. His squad was FREEZING, he said they all were huddled together for warmth.
    Humidity has a lot to do with it, too. A dry 80 is cooler than a humid 80. But in all the years I've lived in FL, if it's 80, there is a lot more humidity than in the desert.
  • comrade_questions
    comrade_questions Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Military training day canceled a bit ago in TX because it was 28 ;) Shoot, in Maine, we had to wait until it was at least -20!