Help me quit Diet coke!

Options

Replies

• jenniferarnold619
    Options
    If you don't think it is bad for you... here are some facts that may make it seem a little less appealing.

Carbonation can stretch your stomach which makes more room for food and you may overeat. So it potentially can be related to being overweight or to weight gain.
    Carbonation also affects the body's ability to absorb calcium. For those that drink it regularly, it has been linked to bone density issues.
    Diet drinks may not have sugar in them, but they still have sodium. Sodium causes you to retain fluid and can affect your heart.
    Artificial sweeteners are chemicals. So you are ingesting something that your body is not made to consume. I can't say what those affects could be, but I would say most likely it has adverse effects. (I guess this is not a fact, but an assumption)
    Lastly, it has no nutritional value for your body.

It is tough habit to kick. My mom is a diet pepsi-aholic. In all honesty, the only way I gave up sodas was when I started counting calories and considering food and drink from a nutritional aspect. Food and drink is fuel for my body. That being said, I LOVE to eat and I realized once I started counting calories, how many pointless calories I was consuming in beverages. I would rather eat them. haha Granted, that isn't technically the same for you because you drink diet drinks. BUT if you do consider the nutritional aspect a sodas, there is really no use for them in your daily diet. Quality vs quantity. Good luck!
  • angulasalajillo
    Options
    Weight loss/health issues aside... what about TEETH!

Fizzy drinks can ruin your teeth, diet or fully loaded.

I used to drink cans and cans of Diet Coke etc every day but last time I went to the dentist I was told the enamel on my teeth was being eroded away from the amount of acidic drinks I was consuming.
    I can SEE the effects on my teeth...my front teeth have a translucent look to them round the edge and the ones either side have been visibly eroded a bit.

I'm trying to jack in the pop completely, for my teefs if nothing else.
    I'm sure lots of other things do this too, but it was enough for me to cut back!
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Aspartme studies from 50's and 60's show it will kill you, by causing tumors. Also increases unhealthy gut bacteria, which causes belly fat (increases in Candida - a bacterial parasite which makes you crave crabs, sugar etc)
    From the 50s huh? Nice to know they were studying aspartame before it was invented...

:laugh: :laugh: :tongue:
  • SlimSumday
    SlimSumday Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Aspartme studies from 50's and 60's show it will kill you, by causing tumors. Also increases unhealthy gut bacteria, which causes belly fat (increases in Candida - a bacterial parasite which makes you crave crabs, sugar etc)

I always crave crab in the summer. It's too cold to sit at a picnic table picking crab right now.

:laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I just cracked opened a Diet Dr. Pepper because the machine on my floor doesn't have Coke Zero. But you know what? It does taste more like regular Dr. Pepper!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    It is scientifically proven that the aspartame in Diet Coke will cause you to grow a third arm.

I think my husband would like it if that happened.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I just cracked opened a Diet Dr. Pepper because the machine on my floor doesn't have Coke Zero. But you know what? It does taste more like regular Dr. Pepper!
    If it's available in your area, I heartily recommend Diet Moxie. No joke, I have friends who don't like diet drinks who have no issues with how Diet Moxie tastes.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I have successfully given it up recently - I'm boycotting all Coca-cola products on moral grounds due their sponsorship of the Sochi Olympics. I am trying to boycott all of the major sponsors, although it is proving to be nigh on impossible to boycott Visa. For me, doing something for the greater good of the LGBT community has proven to be a much more powerful motivator than any amount of bro-science about aspartame.

How does boycotting Olympic sponsors give more rights to the LGBT community?
  • pojo30
    pojo30 Posts: 62
    Options
    I switched from diet drinks to Advocare Spark energy drink. It doesn't give me that dip and it's filled with healthy vitamins. LOVE IT!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. The only real solution is to start lowering your intake. I used to buy the small cans to satisfy the craving once a day or so. Now I no longer drink it. We got a Sodastream machine, and make Seltzer Water. I put Crystal lights packs in it to give it flavor. It's way better than anything you can buy at the store :-)

So you make Crystal Light flavored diet coke? It is funny that nobody ever realizes that Mio, Crystal light, and all of those other flavored powders you add to water use the same evil Aspartame. Unless it was a caffeine problem you had, then I would just say get caffeine free.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    If it's available in your area, I heartily recommend Diet Moxie. No joke, I have friends who don't like diet drinks who have no issues with how Diet Moxie tastes.

Never heard of it, but I'm jealous anyway. :grumble:

ETA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zi3mfFQgPI
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem. The only real solution is to start lowering your intake. I used to buy the small cans to satisfy the craving once a day or so. Now I no longer drink it. We got a Sodastream machine, and make Seltzer Water. I put Crystal lights packs in it to give it flavor. It's way better than anything you can buy at the store :-)

Isn't this pretty much the same thing as diet pop?
    Yep. Pretty much exactly.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Why deprive yourself of something you love? Making it off-limits will only make your overall change more difficult.
  • Thomasleavy7
    Thomasleavy7 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    For me personally , i stopped soda cold turkey ( occasionally ill treat myself too one, maybe once a month ) .. i substituted soda with water and use crystal light packets .. adds great flavor with zero calories and i believe low to no sugar at all .. honestly when i have a soda now occasionally its good don't get me wrong but no where near as good as my water
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options

So you make Crystal Light flavored diet coke? It is funny that nobody ever realizes that Mio, Crystal light, and all of those other flavored powders you add to water use the same evil Aspartame. Unless it was a caffeine problem you had, then I would just say get caffeine free.

And all of those taste nasty because aspartame is nasty.

I bought the Mio stuff and it's disgusting. Tastes really fake.
  • clairebelieves
    Options
    I would say you have to decide if you are going to be convinced by a emotional or a intellectual answer. If it is intellectual, research the evils of artificial sweeteners. There is also evidence that the fake sugars make you more hungry. If it is the "emotionalness" that you need to overcome, think about what you can give yourself instead of the pop that would make you just as happy. Would it be the amount you spend on a can towards something that you like, doing something during that time, etc. Or maybe you just need to break the habit of it to see that you don't need it every day. Maybe put it in a place that is harder to reach or don't chill it so you would have to wait for a cold Diet Coke. But I think other people are right, maybe it is OK if it makes you really happy. You won't change until you are convinced you need to for some reason.
  • twooliver
    twooliver Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    During the periods in my life when I've quit Diet Coke, I've found Apple Cider Vinegar to be a great substitute... only once/twice a day though. Half and half with water and sweetener (natural one) and there you have it. Right now I'm on a Diet cherry Sprite kick...

Although I've got to say, my brain and gut does much better when I'm off the diet products!
  • casey0271
    Options
    I too am a diet coke lover. However, at my last doctor's appointment my BP was sky high and I need to make some changes. I have given up diet coke except on rare occasions. I was drinking 6 cans a day. I have been off diet coke for two weeks. I don't really miss it and I am finding i am not hungary all the time like I used to be. Good luck!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

And all of those taste nasty because aspartame is nasty.

I bought the Mio stuff and it's disgusting. Tastes really fake.

That person seems to think it is delicious, so just because you think it is nasty doesn't mean other people do. I think all sea food is nasty, doesn't mean it is to everyone. Supposedly it is good for you too, go figure. It is also funny that the person also says that it is better than anything you can buy in the store, but I'm guessing she buys all of the stuff for the soda stream in a store.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    If you want to stop consuming diet coke, then the major step I recommend is to stop consuming diet coke.