I heard they cancelled school in Florida today

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    In the Antarctic you are pretty much walking on a mirror that isn't absorbing as much of the UV rays and reflecting them back up.

Right there you just knocked your position, that likely hood of sunburn has to do with high temperatures, right out of the water. :huh:

Do you know what my position is?

Yes. But I don't think you do, because you've made numerous contradictory statements. The entertainment value is almost worth the vertigo.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    In a warm weather area go and spend a full day during the winter naked on a beach all day and let me know how bad was your sunburn. I think at this point I might as well just throw my hands up because I seem to be saying the world is round to the wrong crowd

Been there, done that. Didn't get burned.

Yet you aren't following my point?

Forgive me but I thought your point was that I would get burned because, according to you, I would be in a warm place and warm = stronger sun = sunburn.
  • mammamaurer
    mammamaurer Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    "Hehehe...dumb rednecks think 23 is cold. It was -45 here yesterday and my eye balls froze open when I stepped outside. They don't know anything about the cold. I go swimming when its 23 out." <-- like WTF is that? That sounds miserable, you need to stop bragging and move somewhere that your balls won't instantly freeze off if your pants accidentally fall down.

No one goes swimming when it's 23. Those people are idiots.

I do laugh at Floridians in their winter coats and scarves when it's 70 out. I mean, seriously???

But 23 is cold. I don't care where you live.

Ever heard of the Penguin Plunge? I've seen people jump into lakes when it's way colder than that.

Insane if you ask me!

FunnyPenguin.gif
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options

People in warm places also are confused by people from cold weather applying sunscreen when it is in the low 90s, but again cold weather people's bodies aren't ready for that kind of Sun exposure.

I disagree with this. You can have both. I, for one, live in a cold climate(It's -17 C out right now, so not THAT cold, but certainly colder than any "warm climate). Our city(Edmonton, Alberta) gets disproportionately more sunlight hours than almost anywhere else in North America despite being freezing cold with snow for 5-6 months of the year. So we all bundle up AND slather on sunscreen on our faces because you can and will get sunburn and windburn at the same time. Ask any snowboarder and they will tell you that, I'm sure.

Edit: I think lots of people are getting their Celsius and Fahrenheit mixed up in this post. I went and checked what our Fahrenheit temperature here is right now. It's about 1 degree Fahrenheit here right now. Use the Google converter, guys. Seriously.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    In the Antarctic you are pretty much walking on a mirror that isn't absorbing as much of the UV rays and reflecting them back up.

Right there you just knocked your position, that likely hood of sunburn has to do with high temperatures, right out of the water. :huh:

Do you know what my position is?
    You have stated several times that the hotter it is, the stronger the sun is.

Well, let me tell you about New York state, where in the summer, one day it can be 100 degrees and the next, it's 30. And the sun can be out both days.

You're telling me that in the course of 24 hours, the sun's intensity has decreased so much that the temperatures dropped 70 degrees? Oh, and on day 3, it might be back up to 100. The earth is doing some serious acrobatics on its journey through space, I guess.

You were trying to point out that temperature has nothing to do with using sunscreen and I was saying it was a decent indicator to help you determine if you might need it or not. The hotter it is mean chances are less UV rays are being blocked which means your skin will need extra protection vs when it is cooler weather. Hence, the cooler term is relative to where you live, which in part affects when you apply sunscreen if at all.

Yup. That is your position. But it is very flawed, by your own example of intensified UV rays in the antarctic. :flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    "Hehehe...dumb rednecks think 23 is cold. It was -45 here yesterday and my eye balls froze open when I stepped outside. They don't know anything about the cold. I go swimming when its 23 out." <-- like WTF is that? That sounds miserable, you need to stop bragging and move somewhere that your balls won't instantly freeze off if your pants accidentally fall down.

I do laugh at Floridians in their winter coats and scarves when it's 70 out. I mean, seriously???

The water temperature is more important than the outdoor temperature. But yeah, people do swim when it is that cold outside.
  • QuietBloom
    Options

When my best friend from the was deployed- she came back and froze her *kitten* off in 60* weather. Even 70 was cold for her.

Like someone else said- it doesn't make them silly- it' makes us adaptable. We get used to our environment.
    I have lived in a tropical climate for nine years. Someone who is cold enough in 70 degrees to wear a winter coat should have her thyroid checked.

If there is a breeze involved, I will be cold. And my thyroid levels were perfect last checked (2 months ago).
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Some schools were cancelled here in Louisiana too, the heaters were faulty in those building.

No, it's not in the negatives here but, it was in the teens until almost 8 am. Certainly too cold to be in a building with no heat.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Hot temperatures are correlated with sunburns more than cold temperatures because in hot temperatures you're less likely to be bundled up (especially at the beach) and you're more likely to be spending extended time out-of-doors in the daytime. They are not causative.

Everyone is missing the point where I say hot temperature is a good indicator for people in warm weather to use sunscreen...

You get burned due to UV rays hitting your skin, in Antarctica like people pointed out your face is getting burned because it is the most exposed to those rays. In the beach you are getting burned because your body is less clothed and more exposed to the UV rays.

In a warm weather area go and spend a full day during the winter naked on a beach all day and let me know how bad was your sunburn. I think at this point I might as well just throw my hands up because I seem to be saying the world is round to the wrong crowd.:explode:

Infuriating when people ask you to clarify your contradictory statements, isn't it? And you are the one who brought up the Antarctic, so... yeah.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I have lived in a tropical climate for nine years. Someone who is cold enough in 70 degrees to wear a winter coat should have her thyroid checked.

rubbish.

if she's cold she's cold.

Especially if she has a lower body fat percentage.

She adapted back just fine- but the reality is if you spend a great deal of time in ONE climate then transition suddenly to another one- you are going to have an adjustment period and be uncomfortable.

That's not really that abnormal.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Infuriating when people ask you to clarify your contradictory statements, isn't it? And you are the one who brought up the Antarctic, so... yeah.

actually that was me.

They just piggey backed to try to further their point- but really only disproved it again some more.
  • Samenamenewlook
    Samenamenewlook Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I'm a Marylander living in Alabama and my kids had a 2 hour delay today. I thought it was redonkulous until I really thought about it. In Maryland we had salt trucks standing by waiting for some ice or snow to fall. Feet of snow would fall and as long as they plowed the roads we went to school. Often slipping and falling on ice several times on the way to the bus stop. If you had people that lived outside of the city limits and it took awhile to dig them out, we got a few snow days - like in '96 when we got a couple feet. Here they don't have salt trucks (definitely not plows, but they don't need those), I've seen them throw down some sand before but they don't have the manpower or equipment to make that plan really work. So although the people here may be pansies from some perspectives, its probably smarter that we dont have people who consider flurries to be a snow storm driving on any ice. Especially not school buses carrying our precious cargo.
  • scarrletti_girl
    scarrletti_girl Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    wow. it's currently -8 in Wisconsin right now and i don't even have a heater running right now. lol
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I am originally from New York, but have been living in Florida for the past 3 years and I've officially become a sissy. It's 30 degrees and I'm FREEZING. But schools are open today, at least in Tampa they are.
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I live in northern Florida and it was 25 this morning and no school was not canceled. Stop hating cause we can wear cute clothes without the hassle of a parka.
  • KaosLynnRose
    KaosLynnRose Posts: 3,415 Member
    Options
    my daughter went to school today its negative outside with a hell of a wind chill
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I live in northern Florida and it was 25 this morning and no school was not canceled. Stop hating cause we can wear cute clothes without the hassle of a parka.

:heart:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    In a warm weather area go and spend a full day during the winter naked on a beach all day and let me know how bad was your sunburn. I think at this point I might as well just throw my hands up because I seem to be saying the world is round to the wrong crowd

Been there, done that. Didn't get burned.

Yet you aren't following my point?

Forgive me but I thought your point was that I would get burned because, according to you, I would be in a warm place and warm = stronger sun = sunburn.

If you normally live in a cold place when you go to a warmer climate, your body is more sensitive to the sun exposure and you might get sunburned while the locals don't suffer from the same issue because they live there all the time and their body is used to that level of exposure.

Someone from Michigan might consider 50 degrees weather short's weather, while someone from Arizona might consider it long sleeves' weather.
  • kjarvo
    kjarvo Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    that's funny. It is often -1C (30F) here in England in the daytime (or colder in the morning). HOWEVER, our schools do get closed occasionally if it is that cold and the heating is broken. If the schools in Florida don't have adequate heating it is understandable that they close. Plus I watched a girl once from Texas (I think) show her outfit because it was around 30F there, which was unusual. People were saying that is nothing, that's warm! but the thing is her outfit was a long sleeved t-shirt with a bodywarmer and a scarf. Even I would be cold in England wearing that outside at those temperatures. She didn't even own a coat though.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Hot temperatures are correlated with sunburns more than cold temperatures because in hot temperatures you're less likely to be bundled up (especially at the beach) and you're more likely to be spending extended time out-of-doors in the daytime. They are not causative.

Everyone is missing the point where I say hot temperature is a good indicator for people in warm weather to use sunscreen...

You get burned due to UV rays hitting your skin, in Antarctica like people pointed out your face is getting burned because it is the most exposed to those rays. In the beach you are getting burned because your body is less clothed and more exposed to the UV rays.

In a warm weather area go and spend a full day during the winter naked on a beach all day and let me know how bad was your sunburn. I think at this point I might as well just throw my hands up because I seem to be saying the world is round to the wrong crowd.:explode:

Not really, and I wasn't the one who brought it up.