Why am i not losing?

Options
I have only been trying to lose weight for a week so maybe I am not giving it a chance :ohwell: But I have stuck to my calorie limit all week and done some exercise (albeit not a lot, but bear in mind I never used to do ANY, so im building up to it) and im still exactly the same weight as when I started.

And yes, my scales are fine and fully functional :smile: and I do use them to weigh out my portion sizes.

I am 5ft2in and weigh 204 pounds, and have been sticking to 1300 calories. (I did start at 1200 but raised it a little afterwards because I was still hungry).

So should I be exercising more? Or should I go back 1200 calories? My diary is open so please feel free to take a peek and give me your verdict :smile:

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Read this it could be you have gained water weight if you have exercised a lot more than normal but accuracy is the key

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Patience.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    You didn't gain a bunch of weight in one week, did you? It doesn't come off in a week, either. Be patient and keep up the good work!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    A WHOLE WEEK?!! Clearly things are massively wrong in the world if you haven't lost all your weight in one week. Maybe you should weight more than I week before hitting the panic button. Patience is your friend.
  • CassaJ23
    Options
    Patience.

Yup. Keep at it! Also, keep in mind that you're HEALTHIER if you're exercising when you weren't before :)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Give it some time. If you didn't exercise before, your body is probably adjusting.

You can definitely eat more than 1300 calories though! I started at 1690 with light exercise (208 lbs, 5'5") and lost 1.5 lb a week pretty fast (at the lose 1lb a week setting but not eating exercise calories back because I had no idea how much I burned). You don't have to starve yourself.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Basically, you just need to be patient. Some people take a couple of weeks to start seeing scale weight drop when they go on a new diet and exercise program. I did.

Don't go back to 1200 cals. For your height and weight, you should be able to eat more than 1300 and still lose weight at 1 lb per wk (average). That said, be sure you're weighing and measuring as much of your food as you can, and log every bite so you know you're eating what you think you are. If you're eating back exercise calories (you should be), you might not want to eat all of the calories MFP recommends - they're notoriously estimated on the high side. Most people seem to find success with 50% of MFPs estimate.

Good luck and welcome :)
  • cooky_monster
    cooky_monster Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Well I read the article, and it would seem I am eating too many calories :ohwell:

I have been weighing out my food all week on my Salter scales, and I THOUGHT I was being CCURATE, but seemingly not :embarassed:

I will just have to be extra careful with my weighing this week and give it some more time I guess :smile:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I agree wtih the others that patience is key right now, but looking through your diary I'd recommend two things. 1. Your protein looks fairly low. MFP sets their default protein goal low anyone and I'd always recommend treating it as a minimum rather than a maximum. 2. You may need to check the accuracy of the foods you're logging. I don't know what "Hairy Bikers (Dieters - Moist Carrot & Sultana Cake, 1 portion" is, but it has to have either carbs, fat, or protein in it if it has calories.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    First off you are still in week 1, going into week 2...It takes 4 weeks to see any changes really....so patience is a virtue
  • BUMPSTEAD
    BUMPSTEAD Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Eating too little calories will put your body in starvation mode and you won't lose. In the begining you need to do alot of twerking your diet. Make sure you are eating those 5-6 small meals try every three hrs. And of course drinking water only. Just keep pushing it will happen.
  • cooky_monster
    Options
    A WHOLE WEEK?!! Clearly things are massively wrong in the world if you haven't lost all your weight in one week. Maybe you should weight more than I week before hitting the panic button. Patience is your friend.

I guess I should be more patient right :laugh: I don't expect it all to drop right off, of course not. A pound for my efforts would have been nice though.
    But you do make a good point, I should wait a bit longer than a week :smile:
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, you are not over eating you are UNDER EATING. Please find out your BMR and at least eat that.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Ok... so I'm 5'2, 174lbs and my minimum calorie intake is 1500. I think your calories are too low. That's #1... I didn't see what kind of exercise you're doing so I don't know about that... people tend to lean towards all cardio. I would strongly suggest doing weight training as your primary form of exercise... supplementing with cardio. check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. I've been at this (this time) since March... doing mostly cardio and eating about 1300 calories for the first couple months with very little to show for it. In October/November I started NROLFW and I've lost consistantly every week since then and my clothes are fitting looser. That's #2.... #3... its only been a week... be patient. Sometimes it takes a week or 2 for your body to get the picture. Feel free to add me if you like. Good luck!

ETA: When I upped my calories and started NROLFW... I started losing.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your liquids correctly? Well measuring....I thought that whole milk has alot more calories then 40.....I pre measure my creamer for my coffee and one tablespoon is 35 calories
  • cooky_monster
    Options
    . I don't know what "Hairy Bikers (Dieters - Moist Carrot & Sultana Cake, 1 portion" is, but it has to have either carbs, fat, or protein in it if it has calories.
    I have a recipe book from the Hairy Bikers and its called "The Hairy Dieters" because it is all low-fat recipes. Well this cake is meant to be low-fat so I baked it for my family so we all could have a slice and I wouldn't be left out :smile: . But im not sure of the nutritional info apart from the calories because the book doesn't provide them :frown:
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Eating too little calories will put your body in starvation mode and you won't lose. In the begining you need to do alot of twerking your diet. Make sure you are eating those 5-6 small meals try every three hrs. And of course drinking water only. Just keep pushing it will happen.

Nope, nope and nope. You're not in starvation mode eating 1300 calories. You don't have to eat 5-6 meals a day, you can eat 1 meal a day if it fits within your calorie goal. And you can drink things other than water, again just make sure you stay within your calorie range. After 1 week don't expect much - this is a lifestyle change, so no need to rush things. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will eventually happen.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    you've only been at it a week. i would say give what you're doing another 2 weeks and then see.

there's no need to panic and start changing up all kinds of stuff based on week 1.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Nope, nope and nope. You're not in starvation mode eating 1300 calories. You don't have to eat 5-6 meals a day, you can eat 1 meal a day if it fits within your calorie goal. And you can drink things other than water, again just make sure you stay within your calorie range. After 1 week don't expect much - this is a lifestyle change, so no need to rush things. Just keep doing what you're doing and it will eventually happen.
    And also, the phrase is "tweaking" your diet, not "twerking." Two completely different things. :smokin:
  • jkowula
    jkowula Posts: 447
    Options
    Well I am no expert, but here goes... just a quick peek at your diary and i would say cut out the white bread (rolls), crackers, processed sugars. Add a ton more fresh fruits and vegetables. This is what I did in and it seems to be working for me, in 2 months I lost 20 pounds. I also did a lot of walking. Mind you I didn't track over the holidays or weigh myself and I am sure I put a few pounds back on, but I am back at it and will see where it takes me.