Dumb question about crockpot cooking

Options
Francl27
Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
Do you always need to add water? The recipe uses some frozen food.

Replies

• cdanie13
    cdanie13 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Not always pending what other ingredients you are using in your dish. Typically if I am using something that requires a liquid of some form then I don't add water. However if there are no liquids being used or minimal liquids being used I'll add a little water so whatever I'm cooking doesn't stick/burn. It just depends. What are you planning to make?
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Don't use a crock pot. You can time bake things like that. lol
  • maleva720
    maleva720 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    If its just meat, no liquid is necessary. If there are veggies added you need liquid.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    No. For example, a bost but renders enough juice that you don't need to add water. However, I always add wine and vinegar at somepoint in the meat cooking process just for taste.
  • healthymissfit
    healthymissfit Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    No, I don't add water to my chili at all. My pot roast recipes calls for added water though. If it doesnt call for it, DONT add it, chances are whatever you're making has plenty of juice in it that WILL drain from the meat/veggies and into the pot and you can end up with watery food if you add water when it doesnt call for it!
  • angiechristi
    angiechristi Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what you are cooking. If it is a high moisture food, cooking for 4-6 hours, you may not need to add anything extra. Big Tip - look for crock pot bags at the store. They act just like the roasting bags used for baking roasts in the oven. You place the bag in the crock pot before you add your ingredients. No muss, no fuss, no cleaning!
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    Some foods wont require it, if it has its own moister. I think the added water just helps with it not burning since the it cooks all day
  • Determined82
    Determined82 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I just add enough water to slightly cover the bottom. I also LOVE LOVE LOVE the slow cooker bags!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

:huh: Now we have crock pot shaming... I have really seen it ALL. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    What kind of frozen food? Technically, I don't think you're supposed to use frozen meat for food safety reasons.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Some recipe from the recipes board... frozrn ravioli, frozen spinach, diced tomatoes snd cream cheese.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Unless the recipe specifically says add water, then no you don't necessarily need to. Like someone else said-veggies you'd add a bit.
  • train_01
    train_01 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Another alternative is to add Coffee to it instead of water. It makes the meat super moist and it gives it a bit of flavor. :)
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I used to completely submerge my food in the crockpot because that was the way mom taught me. But I have recently learned that you can use much less water and end up with some serious deliciousness.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    What kind of frozen food? Technically, I don't think you're supposed to use frozen meat for food safety reasons.

Say what? I cook frozen chicken in my crock pot all the time-dump some frozen chicken breasts in and then either add spices or bbq sauce and a few hours later dinner is good to go. I've never heard of not cooking frozen meat in a crock pot before.
  • 135OHK
    135OHK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I find that if I am roasting meat it tastes better if I wrap it in aluminum foil with spices and put it in the crock pot that way. It cooks in it's own juices and doesn't have that 'boiled in water' taste. It comes out wonderful and tender. Sometimes I make a pork roast and shred it, then add barbecue sauce for sandwiches.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options

:huh: Now we have crock pot shaming... I have really seen it ALL. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway:
    :huh: For real...
    I use my oven as much as anyone, but I love my crockpot. Anyone with a problem with that is obviously someone who doesn't work full time and still provides meals for their family.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options

Say what? I cook frozen chicken in my crock pot all the time-dump some frozen chicken breasts in and then either add spices or bbq sauce and a few hours later dinner is good to go. I've never heard of not cooking frozen meat in a crock pot before.

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/a181017c-cc51-4261-bfeb-f78cfc24c022/Slow_Cookers_and_Food_Safety.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

ETA: Not saying I've never done it -- but I guess depending on how hot your crock pot cooks, it can be an issue.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Some recipe from the recipes board... frozrn ravioli, frozen spinach, diced tomatoes snd cream cheese.

If it was me, I wouldn't because of the liquid on the tomatoes and the liquid the spinach will release.
  • Determined82
    Determined82 Posts: 455 Member
    Options

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/wcm/connect/a181017c-cc51-4261-bfeb-f78cfc24c022/Slow_Cookers_and_Food_Safety.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

ETA: Not saying I've never done it -- but I guess depending on how hot your crock pot cooks, it can be an issue.

I've heard about not cooking frozen foods as well but I'll keep doing it until the day I get sick! ha ha