What are your binge day calories?

Options

Replies

• anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    My binge days tend to be between 1800-2000 calories.

This is what I total almost every day before exercise! ...
  • ctalimenti
    ctalimenti Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Well, binge is defined as:

1. A drunken spree or revel.

a. A period of unrestrained, immoderate self-indulgence.

b. A period of excessive or uncontrolled indulgence in food or drink:

So really, it does fit into the calorie spike definition. Though I'm rarely completely "unrestrained", my spike days definitely count as binging according to the definition above. I mean, I drink and eat what I want (emphasis on the drink) without thinking much about it. I get it if you have of had an ED, but this site gets weird with word games sometimes.

Carry-on.

Per National Library of Medicine:
    Binge eating is an eating disorder in which a person eats a much larger amount of food in a shorter period of time than he or she normally would. During binge eating, the person also feels a loss of control.

Eating what you want (or drinking) without thinking about it is not binge eating, it's letting loose.

My last binge I had some pizza with my kids and had worked 2 slices into my calorie goal. There were 3 slices left in the box, so I ate another. After that I felt like I had to eat the last two even though I told myself that I could save them for the kids. Then I went to the cupboard and ate two bowls of cereal because I felt that I absolutely had to eat them. Then I had some snack cakes. Then I sat with a bowl of candy and ate until I thought I was going to throw up. No matter how hard I tried to stop myself from eating something else I kept eating. The entire time I hated myself for what I was doing and I cried myself to sleep. That is a binge.

Oh my, now that's a feast! :drinker:

I guess "binge" means different things to different people then.

I had never struggled with eating until I hit my 40's and it started creeping up. I caught it at about 20 lbs. By this definition I don't binge but I have increased intake on the weekends by about 500 daily.

I am seeing we all attack this eating thing in different ways and what we have found works for us.

My TDEE is 1550. M-F I eat 1300 so I can have wiggle room on the weekends. Alcohol can surely send you over in calories.

Sounds like everyone is mindful at least of their intake which is great.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I don't 'binge' - never have.

On spike days such as Christmas I'm up to 2500. I' sure before MFP I would have gone up to 3500, though.
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    [quote

I had never struggled with eating until I hit my 40's and it started creeping up. I caught it at about 20 lbs. By this definition I don't binge but I have increased intake on the weekends by about 500 daily.

quote]

That sounds a bit like me
  • esmeylull
    Options
    Well, the worst that I counted would be 14,000. And trust me, I am NOT exadurading. But, i had binges which were much worse than that. The interesting part is, I am not even overweight.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    On the rare day I splurge a big overage would be 500 calories over my net. Like New Years Eve I had two martinis and 3 pieces of chocolate.

Though what kills me most frequently is nachos in the broiler with shredded cheese and salsa. Yum!
  • rabblerabble
    rabblerabble Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I really can't say I've had a 'binge day' since starting a new healthy lifestyle. Had a few cheat meals (pizza parties with the family, birthday cake, holiday meals, etc, but can't see having a day where I eat so much it takes a few weeks to make up for it.

Starting to move into maintenance as I've just reached my goal weight so those cheat meals will be a bit more frequent, but doubt I'll be hitting the buffet for half a dozen plates of food like I used to. Just not worth it anymore.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    On the rare day I splurge a big overage would be 500 calories over my net. Like New Years Eve I had two martinis and 3 pieces of chocolate.

Though what kills me most frequently is nachos in the broiler with shredded cheese and salsa. Yum!
    A splurge is what I'd call it as well. And, like you, NACHOS are the thing I often splurge on.:drinker:
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Ooh, about 3,500 - 4,000 cals and over 200g carbs/sugar.

:sick:
  • esmeylull
    Options
    Well, the worst that I counted would be 14,000. And trust me, I am NOT exadurading. But, i had binges which were much worse than that. The interesting part is, I am not even overweight.
  • esmeylull
    Options
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am not sure most people understand a true binge day (thankfully)

I remember binge days all the way back to when I was a teenager. they happened when I was in pain.

Not sure that I have ever admitted this, but....

I remember eating everything. The block of cheese, drinking from salad dressing bottles, eating mayo with a spoon, emptying the whipcream/sourcream/icecream while waiting on the whole pack of hotdogs to cook in the microwave with 8 slices of cheese melted on top. emptying the bag of frozen chicken cordon blues from sams. All the while waiting on the pizza delivery guy to show up with the large pizza and breadsticks.

Those were easily 10-20K + days that made me want to die.

But a holiday type day, or big beer drinking day now? 3000-3500 calories seems to put me away for a while.
  • HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I'm with hoss.

I would have days I am sure were 10,000-15,000
  • Frittycat
    Frittycat Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am going to log it from here on out, but my guess is when I totally relax and eat what I want, I probably eat around 3500K. Once I reach my goal weight, I am thinking of having a day every two weeks where I can eat more than usual (ie. the high calorie foods I've had to cut back on).
  • TallGlassOfQuirky
    TallGlassOfQuirky Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Since I started on MFP about 3 1/2 years ago, I have always felt like the only way I could be successful was if I learned how to incorporate the foods I love (chocolate and popcorn would top out my list) in a healthy manner. Because of that, I haven't really felt the need to splurge much, although I probably still go quite a bit over my goal on holidays and special occasions.

Before MFP, things were a lot different. I had 3 pound bags of Reese's Peanut Butter Cups hidden beneath the seat of my car and would finish half the bag on my way to work. I would have a large bag of chips at lunch (in my car so no one could see) and finish the candy on my way home, and then make dinner for my son and (now ex) husband.
    Not wanting anyone to know how much of a pig I was, I would eat only a small portion at dinner and then make an excuse to get a towel from the linen closet, when really I was going to take some cookies out of the box I had stashed at the back of the closet. I would then find a reason to go look for something in my car, when really I needed to get more candy from the trunk. I had some stuff under my bed, too, but I never ate it when people were looking.
    That was bingeing and I never want to do that again.
  • minisnee09
    Options
    I am not sure most people understand a true binge day (thankfully)

I remember binge days all the way back to when I was a teenager. they happened when I was in pain.

Not sure that I have ever admitted this, but....

I remember eating everything. The block of cheese, drinking from salad dressing bottles, eating mayo with a spoon, emptying the whipcream/sourcream/icecream while waiting on the whole pack of hotdogs to cook in the microwave with 8 slices of cheese melted on top. emptying the bag of frozen chicken cordon blues from sams. All the while waiting on the pizza delivery guy to show up with the large pizza and breadsticks.

Those were easily 10-20K + days that made me want to die.

But a holiday type day, or big beer drinking day now? 3000-3500 calories seems to put me away for a while.

I bet that feels good to get out there!! You are truly an inspiration to me!!!
  • EvaStrange
    EvaStrange Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I ever got quite so high, but I used to have crazy binges too and when I think of them I always wonder why I didn't weigh 300 pounds. I have always been either slim or just shy of being overweight and only gained at all when I changed my workout routine (i.e. got lazy).
    I know the internet likes to repeat catchy phrases like "abs are made in the kitchen" and "a good workout doesn't cancel out a bad diet", but I have found that it does, at least for someone who is at a healthy weight to begin with. But then again, I eat relatively healthy even when I binge, and only go overboard with sugar. I don't know how it would be if I ate dairy products…
  • SarahBeth0625
    SarahBeth0625 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    No binge days here... if I know I am going out to Outback or something (we go maybe once every other month), I will save up calories for that meal and eat light for the day. If I go over, it's generally only by 100 calories. Mine is set to 2000/day based on 6 workouts a week.
  • Jenn842512
    Jenn842512 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    "Binge" day? That's not really a healthy sounding phrase. I know what you mean but come on... How bout a "treat" every once in a while?