what do you have for lunch?

13»

Replies

• broncosfan31
    broncosfan31 Posts: 6 Member
    My usual work week lunch is something like:

Whole wheat wrap--take a whole wheat tortilla, spread 1/2 -1 Laughing Cow Cheese Wedge (pick your variety), add chopped up cucumbers, spinach leaves, diced jalapenos, etc. Add sliced deli turkey. Roll up. Yumm!

and

Special K Multigrain Crackers or Chips

and

Apple & Dip--Dip recipe is 1/2 carton Vanilla Greek Yogurt mixed with 1/2-1 Tablespoon peanut butter, a splash of honey and cinnamon to taste. This dip is yummy! I think I found the recipe on Pinterest. There are lots of good ideas for low calorie lunches on there.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Chicken thigh grilled on the Foreman with olive oil, and veggies with olive oil, salt and pepper.
  • WestCoastJo82
    WestCoastJo82 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I lost weight just fine still eating full fat dairy, cheeses, butter, etc. I'm a big proponent of eating what you like, so I say go for the cheese and sour cream but, obviously, do whatever works for you.
    For lunch, I usually just have leftovers of whatever I cooked the night before, and purposefully always cook a little more for dinner than I know we need. I don't like eating the same thing everyday, so having a different lunch every day works for me - even if it is the same as the dinner I had the day before (eggplant parm, sausage and kale soup, and stir fry has been this week's lunches so far). Hummus, pita and veggies is another quick, easy lunch if you don't have leftovers.
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    One thing I like to do is raost a whole chicken for dinner, then shred the leftovers and make a taco salad using some baby kale, baby spinach some pumpkin seeds, if I have them on hand some sliced olives. For a dressing I us this salsa recipe.
    2 large, 3 medium, or 6 small tomatillos, husked
    4 cloves garlic, skin on
    1 jalapeno pepper (more or less, depending on preference and heat level)
    1 shallot, peeled
    1/2 Reed avocado or 1 Hass avocado, pitted and scooped
    Juice of 2 limes
    1 bunch cilantro
    1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1.Put a small skillet over medium high heat. Without using any oil, add the tomatillos, garlic, jalapeno and shallot and dry roast, turning occasionally, until there are many black spots on the vegetables, about 5 minutes.
    2.Put the tomatillos and shallot in your blender jar. Peel the garlic and add it to the blender. Halve, seed, and stem the jalapeno and add it to the blender.
    3.Add the avocado, lime juice, cilantro, cumin, and salt. Process on high speed until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning – it may need more lime juice or salt. If it needs more heat, judiciously add cayenne or any chili powder you prefer
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Had spaghetti squash with feta cheese, olives, onions, garlic, a little shredded cheese and a little salt. It was so good! Also, a cup of spaghetti squash is only about 40 calories. :smile:
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    I typically bring a ton of raspberries and either grapes or blueberries or a banana, three ounces of my favourite lunch meat (Kroger Bourbon Chicken), an ounce or two of cheese, and some fresh raw green beans or snap peas, plus carrots and cucumbers.

If I'm being atypical, I may have soup or a Kind bar plus whatever fruit/vegetables I brought to gnaw on. Oh and the occasional serving or two of roasted edamame or raw pumpkin seeds.

When I was first starting out, I brought more and spread it out throughout the day so I could bust something out any time I felt willpower fading or hunger distracting me. In general, however, I'm a light eater during the day with most of my calories consumed at dinner time and after.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,420 MFP Moderator
    Most days I bring a salad, which sounds boring but really isn't. Usually they're a protein, a cheese, a dressing, and a bunch of veggies and other stuff. But, you can mix and match to infinite possibilities to fit your tastes and goals. Some of my stuff includes (but definitely is NOT limited to):

Proteins:
    Roasted chicken
    Grilled or pan-cooked steak
    Fajita or taco-style meat (chicken, steak, ground beef, ground turkey)
    Italian lunchmeats

Cheeses:
    Goat
    Blue
    Cheddar/Colby
    Provolone/Mozzarella

Dressings (all homemade):
    Ranch
    Olive oil/vinegar (balsamic, red wine)
    Olive oil/lemon/mustard

Veggies:
    Infinite

Other stuff:
    Bacon
    Dried fruit
    Apple slices
    Hard boiled eggs
    Nuts or seeds
    Crispy onions
    Beans (black, chickpeas)

On and on and on and on.... Sure, I don't have ALL of this stuff on hand ALL of the time, so usually I end up eating a similar salad every day for a week at a time, but that's an often enough change-up for me!

are the salads keeping you full ?

If you make salads with the right ingredients it will.

I make a salad with 2 cups of spinach, shredded carrots, 1/2 cucumber, 1/2 tomato, 1 egg, 1/2 avocado and 4 oz of rotisserie chicken. It's 600 calories of deliciousness and I struggle to eat the whole thing.

I eat pretty much anything, ranch burgers or ranch bison burgers, egg salad, tuna salad, chipotle, chili, lentil soup, etc..
  • KNJScorpio
    KNJScorpio Posts: 4 Member
    I usually make another portion of dinner and take that with me for lunch. As for the cheese/sour cream thing, non-fat plain Greek Yogurt is actually a nice sub for sour cream. I thought I would HATE it, but I could barely tell the difference and I'm a sour cream freak.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Most days I bring a salad, which sounds boring but really isn't. Usually they're a protein, a cheese, a dressing, and a bunch of veggies and other stuff. But, you can mix and match to infinite possibilities to fit your tastes and goals. Some of my stuff includes (but definitely is NOT limited to):

Proteins:
    Roasted chicken
    Grilled or pan-cooked steak
    Fajita or taco-style meat (chicken, steak, ground beef, ground turkey)
    Italian lunchmeats

Cheeses:
    Goat
    Blue
    Cheddar/Colby
    Provolone/Mozzarella

Dressings (all homemade):
    Ranch
    Olive oil/vinegar (balsamic, red wine)
    Olive oil/lemon/mustard

Veggies:
    Infinite

Other stuff:
    Bacon
    Dried fruit
    Apple slices
    Hard boiled eggs
    Nuts or seeds
    Crispy onions
    Beans (black, chickpeas)

On and on and on and on.... Sure, I don't have ALL of this stuff on hand ALL of the time, so usually I end up eating a similar salad every day for a week at a time, but that's an often enough change-up for me!

are the salads keeping you full ?

Before I joined MFP last year last summer and fall I was making home made salads for dinner and it kept me full so like psulermon said if you got the right ingredients it will
  • dshalbert
    dshalbert Posts: 677 Member
    2 Soft chicken tacos
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    I have found that if I dont skimp in the fats, not the carbs that I am Happier.

Cream of Broccoli Soup
    2 bunches of broccoli heads
    4 to 6 cups of chicken stock depends on how thick you want it
    1/2 onion diced

place oinion, stock and broccoli in stockpot and simmer until broccoli is completely tender. Cool to room temp and transfer to blender and blend until smooth. return to stockpot add salt and pepper to taste and 1 cup of half and half. heat until warm and serve with french crusty bread and butter.
  • Benphi91
    Benphi91 Posts: 31 Member
    3 boiled eggs, a tomato and some sliced ham.

I've never been very good at making meals. Does the job, though.
  • toolzz
    toolzz Posts: 163 Member
    whole grain wrap with roasted sweet potato, red onion and goat cheese.......super yum

...forgot the baby kale...