I'm hungry all the time

Options
Hi in the past 2 months I changed my eating habits and started exercising regularly and I'm hungry often. I tried the 5-6 meal a day and it isn't helping. I'm 5'10" and weigh 163 lbs and want to maintain weight maybe lose some belly fat.

I don't know what info to post or where to start.

Morning; 2 eggs, bowl of shredded wheat

Snack; peanut butter(not much) and jelly on whole wheat

Lunch; lean meat on whole wheat, salad, piece of fruit

Snack; piece of fruit

Dinner; lean meat, lots of veggies

Snack; bowl of shredded wheat

Above is a sample of what I eat.

Replies

• dinglekerri
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water? That may sound strange but thirst can easily be confused with hunger.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    how many calories per day is that?

that sounds like barely 1200…..
  • Kabijots
    Kabijots Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Without knowing your stats and how many cals you are eating it is hard to give advice. Are you eating back your exercise cals? Have you set your limits to lose or maintain?

I would recommend you open your food diary too.

It maybe that you are not eating enough, or need to eat more fats/protein or maybe 3 larger meals a day would suit you better. Everyone is different. There are no rights or wrongs just what is right for you.

Good luck and don't get disheartened. You will work out what works for you. x
  • hayleysuel
    hayleysuel Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    With the shredded wheat, whole wheat bread, fruit & more shredded wheat you might be eating too many carbs which spikes your blood sugar making you hungry almost right away.

You could try switching the bread & fruit for a high fat - low carb item. The fat will keep you fuller longer.

I like tuna packets, hard boiled eggs, cheese stick, pepperoni slices, avovado, lunch meat & cheese roll ups...

You could also try a fiber supplement. I like taking 2-3 665mg Glucomannan AKA "Konjac". It's all natural & really fills you up inbetween meals. It's only $5-10 at Target/Wal-Mart.

Hope that helps!! :)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    That sounds like way too few calories. What does MFP say you need for maintenance? Have you added this food to your diary to see how much it is?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    that's a lot of food. 2 eggs AND shredded wheat? I would split those meals up into a meal plus snacks- and eat more protein

lunch is a sandwich a salad and a piece of fruit? that's a meal and a snack to me

and skip that last bowl of shredded wheat

youre probably hungry because youre used to eating a lot and often
  • mhenry0611
    mhenry0611 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like that advice. I believe I am not drinking enough water.
  • tamiesue2
    tamiesue2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I am seeing alot of carbs in your daily meal plan. I suggest adding in some green, like salad, green vegetables, low calorie and tend to fill you up and keep you full. Adding about a cup of green beans to your dinner will make a huge difference.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Maybe try adding in beans for fiber? to keep you feeling full longer....Is that how you always eat or just a sample? Never eat pasta or anything like that?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    That really isn't all that much for a man trying to maintain his weight. Eat more.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    a great place to start would be to open your food diary. what you listed has NO AMOUNTS so any guesses on whether that's enough will be just guesses.

So far this is all I can see, and it seems like you may be eating too little...emphasis on SEEMS

"macher115
    46 years old
    Male"
  • Beanie512
    Options
    I'm 5'10 trying to get to where you are! Great weight for your height, drink more water and eat more veggies.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Hey there! Based on your stats, your body burns close to 2000 calories a day even with NO EXERCISE. (from this website: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html)

It's no wonder you're hungry all the time - it sounds like you're barely eating half of that! And if you're exercising, your body is burning even more than that, without being refueled. Eat more! You don't need a dramatic deficit for weight loss at all - just around 500 calories less than what your body burns each day.
  • CaitySins
    CaitySins Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I personally use gum, the chewing motion usually helps stave off hunger for me between meals (I actually used to just chew it eating nothing during school days)
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    that's a lot of food. 2 eggs AND shredded wheat? I would split those meals up into a meal plus snacks- and eat more protein

lunch is a sandwich a salad and a piece of fruit? that's a meal and a snack to me

Oh,you!! :laugh:

Wait..that was sarcasm, right?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

This is the second time I've seen you in a thread where your reply made me go :huh: .

And it's only the 2nd time I've seen you, so....
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    well I have pics in my profile. Im about 5'10 and thatd be a lot of food for me.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Me too. Mind you I eat, I think, twice what you do but I guess the principal still applies. Always hungry.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    well I have pics in my profile. Im about 5'10 and thatd be a lot of food for me.
    try the fitness frog mentioned above. At 5'10" you should be able to lose weight on way more than 1200 cals.

:flowerforyou:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    okkkkkkkkkkkkk then.