Why I no longer use MFP

Options

Replies

• Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I like the support I get on MFP. I didn't have a lot to lose, but I found a group of people who cheered me on every step of the way. Now I stay partially because of the friendships I've made.

I'm not sure what your point was.

I am not heartbroken if I go over 100 calories. Please. I've dealt with more heartbreaking things in my life. 100 calories is nothing compared to that.

I haven't left MFP to gain weight, but I've had about three friends who did that. But they also had other major issues like divorce going on in their lives.
  • laurynwithawhy
    laurynwithawhy Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    OP I get exactly what you are trying to say and didn't find it confusing or offensive at all. That is what I endeavor for. I find myself upset when I go over by like 50 calories or trying to figure out the extra 3 calories for the cinnamon in my oatmeal. It's degrading, to me anyway. I want to be able to do it on my own. Actually my problem isn't so much with diet as it is staying consistent with exercising. I really want to be fit and muscular - kind of hard if you never move! But thank you for your post. One day I hope to have the motivation and consistency to forget all about MFP and just actually live like a human being instead of a robot. :)
  • andit001
    andit001 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I think if you have a problem going like 50 calories into the red number, it's a problem of you and not of MFP.

Even if you'd do it all on paper, you'd have the very same problem. If you really don't eat a raisin just because of a few calories it's your mindset.

But maybe for some people that's great because otherwise they wouldn't stick to it at all. I think it's important to use common sense in everything we do.
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I see MFP as a tool that helps me reach my goals. The technology is there so why not use it?

I could read labels and work out macros and calories with a pen and paper OR I can pull out my phone and press the screen a few times. On top of that convenience it also gives me access to some pretty decent people in the community who will help me out if I need any advice.

So I guess what I am saying is that it is something that can be very useful but don't make your life depend on it. If I go over my calories one day, I don't let it worry me, because sometimes **** happens and I put it to the back of my mind and start fresh the next day.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    There are too many people who came here, did their duty, lost the weight, left and have come back feeling defeated.

Why?

Because fact of the mater is this...

To maintain you have to know what you are eating...guestimating, and eyeballing is all good but it will eventually get you.
    Try maintaining with pen and paper...ick
    The community

I am not a slave to the calories. I eat what I want, try to hit my macros and calorie goals but if I go over eh....whatever.

This is a simple tool with a database that calculates everything for me and I can use my phone and scan in stuff....:drinker:

It would be like asking me to go from my smart phone back to a regular cell phone or worse....land line.:sad:

Why would I take a step back and do things the hard way????

Work smart not hard.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Good for you if you can keep at it. I can't. I need MFP to hold me accountable but also to let me have treats without feeling that I'm cheating and without going overboard.

I'd gain back the weight without MFP, 100% certain... which is what happened to you.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I am confused. Posting on the MFP message boards in not using MFP? :huh:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't left MFP, but I have stopped logging my food, but for the oppostie reason. I found I was gaining weight using it. I lost almost 30 lbs before I'd even heard of MFP, then gained 10 of it back. Slowly, over 2 years, but still a gain.

I obsess too much over making all those numbers come out right. Oh my, I'm short on protein, I'd better eat something else (even though I'm not hungry). Oh no, I'm stuffed buy I'm 300 calories short, I'd better eat something else. Oh no, my fat is way to high, I'd better not eat those almonds.

And the TIME it takes to log food. Some people say it takes only 5-10 min a day for them. It took longer than that for me to log one meal. I don't eat the same things every day and I cook most of my meals from scratch. One meal may have more than 20 ingredients. And I don't measure when I cook. I'm a "little bit of this, little bit of that" type cook. So, my calorie counts were probably not even close anyway.

I still log my exercise and play on the forums and check in with my MFP friends, but I've gone back to intuitive eating. It works better for me.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I really wish people understood what I was trying to say. :(
    Once again, for the record, I would never tell anyone to quit MFP. Like I said, it changed my life. All I said was that sometimes you can branch out and find something different that works for you. I'm not ecouraging people to quit. I was one of those people who gained when I left. This post was pretty much me saying it doesn't have to be that way, and I'm proof of it!
    I applaud all of you for being here and you should be very proud of what you did! Please don't think I'm trying to make any of you quit.

I follow you
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I think if you have a problem going like 50 calories into the red number, it's a problem of you and not of MFP.

Even if you'd do it all on paper, you'd have the very same problem. If you really don't eat a raisin just because of a few calories it's your mindset.

But maybe for some people that's great because otherwise they wouldn't stick to it at all. I think it's important to use common sense in everything we do.

^^ THIS!!!!

I am a planner by nature. I plan out what I'm going to eat for the day and if I add in a little extra here or there I make up for it by adding in or increasing my exercise. If I can't do it that day, I pick it up the following day and make up for it. I don't log sticks of gum or hard candies if it's 1 piece, but I think this is an accountability tool for me and helps me see what I'm eating and keeps me in check.
  • krisdutch15
    Options
    Good to hear that you are winning the battle. I only wish that this app had been around when I was in the Navy. I "lost" my battle back then and had to get out or be kicked out for weight. I just could not lose it after I had my first son and then subsequently went into a deep depression. Almost 2.5 yrs later I gave up fighting and after 8 1/2 yrs in the Navy, I dropped my papers for an early out. Ironically, 3 yrs later I found Sparkpeople.com and lost 60 lbs while my husband (who is still active duty) was deployed for 7 months. I am now back to trying again and I am now carrying extra weight again from carrying my twins. I only have 40 lbs this time, but I am finding it harder the older I am.

I get what you are saying and I applaud you for being able to "quit" MFP. For me, it's my first day here. Being able to quit means you have learned what you needed to learn. You are one of the few that do not need to be accountable and a slave to counting calories and logging it all. Keep it up!! :)
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that most people are seeking control over their over eating (as opposed to eating) rather than over eating having control over them. Calorie counting is simply one way of establishing that.

Anxiety, guilt, shame, obsession and perfectionism all erode control and making a true choice. Use the tools which reduce those, discard the ones which do not.

I get what you are saying OP.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I lost my weight before I knew about MFP. I hung out on another forum that was specific to the plan I was following and I kept track of my calories in a notebook and I also had a private accountability blog set up during that time. Didn't find MFP until I was getting ready to transition into maintenance and don't use it to track calories/keep a food log. I do use it for the forums, where I've learned a lot about nutrition and maintenance, from various awesome forum members :smile: If MFP shut down tomorrow I'd be sad, but it has no effect on my success. That's all me :bigsmile:
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    OP deactivated.

QFT. /thread
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I really wish people understood what I was trying to say. :(
    Once again, for the record, I would never tell anyone to quit MFP. Like I said, it changed my life. All I said was that sometimes you can branch out and find something different that works for you. I'm not ecouraging people to quit. I was one of those people who gained when I left. This post was pretty much me saying it doesn't have to be that way, and I'm proof of it!
    I applaud all of you for being here and you should be very proud of what you did! Please don't think I'm trying to make any of you quit.

I think a lot of people have branched out to do something different....they have joined MFP.

Yes people can do it on their own, I lost my baby weight the first 2 times on my own, the 3rd I found MFP. When I lost the weight the first 2 times I didn't work out just walked alot. This time working out is the best thing that has happened to me, I am still working out 2 years after I lost the weight I originally came on here for. I now like to keep track of my macros.

I can do this without MFP but for me it's inspiring to see my friends workouts on here, hardly anyone I know i RL works out so I can't talk to them about it, here I can.

MFP isn't just for losing weight
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    OP deactivated.

I don't get the post in the first place, what was the point :noway:

I like MFP, and I'm going to use it to hit my goal weight, then for at least 5 solid years of maintenance. I was OBESE. I need to be in obesity recovery for a long, long time. :drinker:

Wonder how long it will be before she's back, trying to lose the weight again :tongue:
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I lost 50 of the 70lbs I'm down before I ever heard of MFP, just using portion control and exercise. I had no idea what my calorie needs were, what BMR/TDEE was. I just cut my "eat like a powerlifter" diet down by a lot and the weight came off. I actually had a big stall once I got on here, and gained about 10lbs back. Once I changed up a couple things with my macros, the scale started moving again and I lost what I had regained and the scale started moving in the right direction again.

I think if I had found MFP before I started on my weight loss program I would have been better off. I would have kept lifting weights, I would have been more informed on smarter/better ways to do what I did.

Do you need MFP to lose weight? No. Does it help to have tools and community to bounce things off of? Absolutely.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't log my workouts so I do not feel the need to exercise to 'earn those calories'. My exercise (which is lifting) is fun, regardless of whether I track or not. They are not related for me.

I continue to have body composition goals, even though I hit my goal weight quite a while ago, and tracking macros...yes, sometimes down to the last raisin...is sometimes part of that.

So, it is not in my interests at the moment to stop using this site, especially as it's so much more than a calorie counting tool.

This. It's very hard to do a proper cut/bulk without counting calories. I'm in for recomp. I may do a break here and there from calorie counting (probably before my summer cut), but maybe not.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    What? WHERE?!?

I didn't see anything.

Weird.