"A calorie is a calorie" violates the second law of...

Options

Replies

• blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    The no-carb jerks are jerks, period.

Go to Paris, France. What is one of the staples of the French diet? BAGUETTES! In fact, it's quite normal to have a MORNING BUN, for lunch French cheese and a baguette and baguette with your dinner. And they are RAIL THIN!

Same with ITALY - RAIL THIN, PASTA PASTA PASTA & bread! Amazing isn't it?

And Germany - THIN, RAIL THIN, loads of potatoes, bread in that diet too. Get out of your paleo/no-carb/atkins world and actually SEE the world, thin people are everywhere, thin people who eat BREAD are everywhere.

What are you doing, going around and spamming all the threads with this rant?

Why have you changed your name umpteen million times on MFP, and you keep talking about low carb YET you still haven't lost the weight? Just wondering. If it's working so WELL why isn't it working for you, why do you fight with people on MFP, why hasn't your miracle weight loss worked for you? And the name change thing ....? Well?

/died

but ya, havin italian blood in me, and kinda living on the balkan...carbs are my thing :D
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Go to Paris, France. What is one of the staples of the French diet? BAGUETTES! In fact, it's quite normal to have a MORNING BUN, for lunch French cheese and a baguette and baguette with your dinner. And they are RAIL THIN!

And Germany - THIN, RAIL THIN, loads of potatoes, bread in that diet too. Get out of your paleo/no-carb/atkins world and actually SEE the world, thin people are everywhere, thin people who eat BREAD are everywhere.

Being European I can tell you I disagree.

There are a LOT of overweight Germans. a lot.
    Italians are very lively and I suspect their constant fidgeting and exaggerated hand gestures have something to do with their energy output. Also young people don't seem to be as overweight but it catches up when they get older.
    Can't say that French are generally super lean, but also they do not eat as many baguettes as you'd think. They take time with their food but don't eat as much in one sitting.

It's all about portion control.

I think the reason some americans (not saying you are american) find Europeans to be thin is because there is more obesity in the US, but I would suggest that is because of out of control portion sizes there. I know when I went I bought a meal in a restaurant, I needed a doggy bag on most occasions and had the leftovers for the next meal.

Edited to say I am not defending a low carb diet. I myself choose to eat about 35% calories from carbs, mainly mecause I love meat and protein and fat keep me better satiated.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options

No i agree. That makes sense.

I love carbs me. I have to say though, these thin people in the Mediterranean countries just aren't eating excess calories, that's why they aren't overweight. Btw thin French people don't eat bread and baguettes all day, but I know plenty of overweight ones that do.

Protein has a thermodynamic effect. It takes energy to digest it. I've read that it could be up to 25%, ie 1 of the 4 calories per g. I don't eat it because of that though, and I still count it the same. Those extra calories always sneak in somehow so hopefully my 500 calories of protein per day and the energy taken to digest it counteracts those little sneakies.

Well, I haven't been to Greece nor Spain & most of the Med. countries, but I do go frequently to the ones I mentioned. One of the reasons I believe that Parisians are rail thin is because they literally walk everywhere, like Germans do too.. Everywhere or bike, but mostly walk. And FAST. I know what you're saying about cals but the French people I know are definitely eating baguettes. Who wouldn't? It's like .60p there! (Subsidized by the French gov't btw, and I have no problem with that).

In fact, my husband & I are actually talking about moving to France, say in 2016 perhaps & buying a place. Just in the talking stages right now or possibly living there part time, with a place there & here.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options

Italians are very lively and I suspect their constant fidgeting and exaggerated hand gestures have something to do with their energy output. Also young people don't seem to be as overweight but it catches up when they get older.
    Can't say that French are generally super lean, but also they do not eat as many baguettes as you'd think. They take time with their food but don't eat as much in one sitting.

I think the reason some americans (not saying you are american) find Europeans to be thin is because there is more obesity in the US, but I would suggest that is because of out of control portion sizes there. I know when I went I bought a meal in a restaurant, I needed a doggy bag on most occasions and had the leftovers for the next meal.

Edited to say I am not defending a low carb diet. I myself choose to eat about 35% calories from carbs, mainly mecause I love meat and protein and fat keep me better satiated.

I am American & I thank you for this, well to me they are rail thin. While there are occasionally a large German mostly they're thin.

Italians drink Espresso for breakfast so that could be the reason they're thin too. However, I still stand by what I'm saying, they are thin in Europe, maybe to my American eyes they are thin but they def. are thin. The UK is another thing though, but in London, yes they are pretty thin.
  • transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The hell does someone changing their username over several years on a site have anything to do with their argument? Is this the new "if you can't fault their argument, correct their grammar" response?
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    A decent breakdown of the paper's fallacies & missteps here: http://carbsanity.blogspot.com/2012/07/a-feinman-fine-mess-of-thermodynamics.html

tl/dr summary: a calorie is still basically a calorie.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options

I am American & I thank you for this, well to me they are rail thin. While there are occasionally a large German mostly they're thin.

Italians drink Espresso for breakfast so that could be the reason they're thin too. However, I still stand by what I'm saying, they are thin in Europe, maybe to my American eyes they are thin but they def. are thin. The UK is another thing though, but in London, yes they are pretty thin.

People are thin because they aren't taking in more calories than they burn, coffee or no coffee, hand gestures or no hand gestures, walking everywhere fast or driving. Find out what your own personal daily expenditure is and eat that. Sounds simple. Yes culture has a lot to do with it. There are a thousand reasons to over eat. Every person is a single case study. I know many Europeans who naturally live a lifestyle that keeps them trim.
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Sorry nothing to add to this post but had to respond to this ^^^^^

As a Brit who travels Europe a great deal I have to say this is a load of tosh! Italians over 'a certain age' are notoriously tubby and all the countries mentioned have there fair share of overweight people. Yes they may have less obsese people per capita than the UK and the USA but they are certainly not all "rail thin".

Maybe it has more to do with their healthy lifesytle? Skiing in France at Christmas plenty of French pensioners were out there on the slopes too with their whole family. Older people in the UK seem to think they are too old to be active in my experience, an tuck themselves away with a jigsaw and a horlicks :laugh:
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Starts a controversial thread at 6:11 pm. Never comes back. Okay, got it.
  • KentWhiteRabbit
    KentWhiteRabbit Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well, I haven't been to Greece nor Spain & most of the Med. countries, but I do go frequently to the ones I mentioned. One of the reasons I believe that Parisians are rail thin is because they literally walk everywhere, like Germans do too.. Everywhere or bike, but mostly walk. And FAST. I know what you're saying about cals but the French people I know are definitely eating baguettes. Who wouldn't? It's like .60p there! (Subsidized by the French gov't btw, and I have no problem with that).

In fact, my husband & I are actually talking about moving to France, say in 2016 perhaps & buying a place. Just in the talking stages right now or possibly living there part time, with a place there & here.

Is there an alternate version of Paris that you visit? I go there often too being just 3 hours away by train. Yes there are a lot of people walking but in my experience they are mostly tourists! The Parisians love their cars and that can be seen on the packed roads. We cycled Paris last year as a weekend break and there were far fewer cyclists around than you get in London.

For the record I love bread too and a bagette and cheese for breakfast when your skiing all day or such like is fine as you are burning the cals if I did it at home where I have an office job I'd be like a whale in no time!

I'm suspecting that you have a grass is greener problem. Moving to France won't make you thin.
  • chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options

Sorry nothing to add to this post but had to respond to this ^^^^^

As a Brit who travels Europe a great deal I have to say this is a load of tosh! Italians over 'a certain age' are notoriously tubby and all the countries mentioned have there fair share of overweight people. Yes they may have less obsese people per capita than the UK and the USA but they are certainly not all "rail thin".

Maybe it has more to do with their healthy lifesytle? Skiing in France at Christmas plenty of French pensioners were out there on the slopes too with their whole family. Older people in the UK seem to think they are too old to be active in my experience, an tuck themselves away with a jigsaw and a horlicks :laugh:

lol...love this reply!!

I agree with most of it. Would also like to add that most Europeans dont go on the 3 meals and 2 snacks a day mantra that appears to prevail in the UK and USA! They also tend to lead pretty outdoorsie lives, lots of mountain hiking in the summer, tennis, swimming and skiing in the winter. Just to add, my 85 year old mother (135 lbs @ 5ft 6ins) has never had an issue with being overweight at all. She gave up tennis at aged 80 but continues to garden and on a daily basis will walk (across countryside) 3-5 miles. She eats like a bird at breakfast and lunch and then enjoys a full cordon blue meal at dinner. Never counted a calorie in her life or stepped in a gym... she just isnt greedy!:smile:
  • roland72
    roland72 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

They are not rail thin because of eating bread, pasta or carbs, but because of a difference in eating culture.

The countries you mention generally tend to countries:
    Where bread is still bread (flour, water, yeast, salt) and which is not full of additives and chemicals to keep it fresh for 10 or more days.
    Where a very close knit family structure is in place and where people eat together as a social event. Not shovel down "food" to get back to work/facebook/tv
    Where they have ONE hot meal a day. Not a Mcdonalds breakfast, Subway lunch and a big evening meal washed down with lots of fizzy drinks.
    Where people have good food education in schools which forms a healthy eating foundation.
    Where school kitchens are generally not run by large corporations which have as their sole aim to make as much profit as possible.
    Where most meals are made from fresh ingredients and not from stuff in jars which is full of additives and modified fats.
    Where most food is generally sourced locally not pre packed flown in from the other side of the world.
    Where people know, understand and want to know what they eat.
    Where portions are generally smaller, one might say "normal".
    Where people generally don't tend to snack in between meals or in the evening.

I can give you some more reasons if you like :)
  • tyediri
    tyediri Posts: 183 Member
    Options

Don't forget South Asian. When I used to live in Sri Lanka I used to eat rice 3 times a day, sometimes rice with potato curry. I was stick thin!
    Now I am 5' 4", 140lbs with a BMI of 24 and everyone comments on how chubby I have become when I visit Sri Lanka! Grrrrr!

Edited to add: I must add that there is pretty much no snacking, everything is made from scatch (we never owned a microwave when I was growing up), grew most of the veegtables we ate, ate lots of fish and never had pudding.
    We did however, have loads to carbs! :D
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Aw Matt why you trying to confuse people here? I will agree that macronutrient content impacts HOW weight is lost, but let's not make it too complicated for the general population on here attain weight loss. You know it's mostly going to be based on CICO.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    When I was a child, we didn't own a microwave, garden-raised our own veggies and my mother made our bread from scratch. She also canned and froze most of the food we ate during the winter, and our meat was purchased fresh-butchered from the farm down the road. None of us gave a hill of beans for how many calories we ate, we worked on the farm when we weren't in school and ran and played outside when we were done with chores. TV was a not-so-often thing we didn't care much about. There were no cell phones or social media.
    We were thin and fit because we ate good food and were active. I grew up in Wisconsin, not France or Germany or Asia. Lifestyles have changed a lot in the last 30 years and that's a big part of the problem. A lot of us live sedentary lives and fill the time with snacks and food. We find ourselves needing to count calories now because we have jobs that keep us seated and entertainment that keeps us seated as well. Whether the whole calorie or 2/3 of it counts is moot.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Classic misdirection - attention-whoring headline says one thing, content says the exact opposite thing.

Been too many rounds on this - I just don't a give a **** anymore - people are going to believe what they want to believe regardless.

THIS!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Why have you changed your name umpteen million times on MFP, and you keep talking about low carb YET you still haven't lost the weight? Just wondering. If it's working so WELL why isn't it working for you, why do you fight with people on MFP, why hasn't your miracle weight loss worked for you? And the name change thing ....? Well?

Wait, am I missing something? I don't know if Bloom had another name, but I looked at her pictures and quite frankly if they're up do date I'd been concerned that she's doing something seriously wrong if she continued to lose weight . . . she's looking pretty strong to me. This was an unneccessary personalization response without addressing if you have been spamming the threads with this rant . . .
  • LeonMT
    LeonMT Posts: 4
    Options
    There is a study that does show people on low carb diets can consume up to 300 calories more a day than people on low calorie diets - and lose about the same weight. But the differential seems insignificant to me. It's all about adherence and success, isn't it? If you research success rates among long term weight losers, almost NONE of them got there by going on, and staying on, a low carb diet. These diets just have very poor success rates. Most people succeed by eating sensible, and reducing their portions. So in the long term, it's still all about calories, in my opinion.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I changed my username once, because the first name had my real name in it. But that was months ago, so I'm not sure what you are on about.

As far as weight loss? I am doing just fine, thank you. Feel free to creep my photos for proof. :flowerforyou:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Wait, am I missing something? I don't know if Bloom had another name, but I looked at her pictures and quite frankly if they're up do date I'd been concerned that she's doing something seriously wrong if she continued to lose weight . . . she's looking pretty strong to me. This was an unneccessary personalization response without addressing if you have been spamming the threads with this rant . . .

You are not missing anything. I have gained 7 lbs since I joined MFP! Poster is clearly out of their gourd.