Egg Whites Vs Whole Eggs Controversy!

Options

Replies

• abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Always comes back to eat what you want depending on your daily requirements etc. Don't like yolks? Don't eat them. Have space for the fat, like the taste etc? Eat them.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who has loads of egg whites in the freezer (from yummy desserts that only use the yolk)? I'm determined to make meringues one day, or lemon meringue pie, or something.
    That's the only time I have egg whites, if I've used the yolk for some other delicious purpose. I usually put the extra whites in an omelet or something. There have been a couple times I've had leftover yolks after making meringue and made an extra yolky omelette. So good.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Yeah, whole eggs are great, but eating the whites without the yoke can help if you are trying to hit your protein macro target without going over your target fat intake.

Yeah, this.

I love whole eggs. But I have a high protein target each day - I would be way over on fat if I used whole eggs.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,003 Member
    Options
    Yeah, whole eggs are great, but eating the whites without the yoke can help if you are trying to hit your protein macro target without going over your target fat intake.

Yeah, this.

I love whole eggs. But I have a high protein target each day - I would be way over on fat if I used whole eggs.
    5 g's per egg yolk puts you way over on your fat....interesting.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Last night I had 10 egg whites scrambled with mushrooms at a Tastee Diner. They took it easy on the oil for me. It was delicious, and for 170 calories, I got 60 grams of protein.

Or I could've had 2.5 whole eggs and 15 grams of protein - 175 cal.

The article mentioned bioavailability of protein, but I'm really curious - - is the fraction of the absorbed protein <25% for egg whites?

Because even assuming you intravenously shoot whole eggs into your bloodstream, gram of protein per calorie, egg whites beat the crap out of whole eggs.

What a BS article. It's like people just throw terms around hoping no one knows what they mean to make their crappy, false points.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Last night I had 10 egg whites scrambled with mushrooms at a Tastee Diner. They took it easy on the oil for me. It was delicious, and for 170 calories, I got 60 grams of protein.

The article mentioned bioavailability of protein, but I'm really curious - - is the fraction of the absorbed protein >25% for egg whites?

Because even assuming you intravenously shoot whole eggs into your bloodstream, gram of protein per calorie, egg whites beat the crap out of whole eggs.

What a BS article. It's like people just throw terms around hoping no one knows what they mean to make their crappy, false points.
    lolwut?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less whether one eats the egg yolk or not, but this type of article is, IMO, a perfect example of the type of media hyped crap that has led people to be so confused about nutrition.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    Some people just don't like the taste of the yolk.
  • usernamekelly1
    usernamekelly1 Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options

Yeah, this.

That's saying they only use the one egg to hit their protein.. most likely they're on about many eggs, I use 1 egg and 3 egg whites for omelets, pancakes etc. I do it this way because I can't fit 20 grams of fat in, which it would be if I have 4 whole eggs, bearing in mind this is normally a breakfast meal and I have other meals which contain fat also.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Unless it's in chocolate mouse, cake, bearnaise or hollandaise or, or, or. :smile:
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I eat both. I recently discovered liquid egg whites and quite like them, to be honest. One, they're convenient to keep at work. Two, they make tasty protein coffee cup muffins. Three, if I have a two-egg white (liquid) omelet in the morning I get to eat more food. I like more food.

But I just go back and forth. When cutting, I'll probably stick to liquid egg whites. When maintaining or bulking, I'd hit the real eggs. Or a mixture of both.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    There's a controversy?
  • stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Unless it's in chocolate mouse, cake, bearnaise or hollandaise or, or, or. :smile:

I'm pretty sure chocolate mice, cake, etc., don't taste like egg yolks. If they do then I'd make a complaint to whoever is making them.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    I always eat while egg. Mainly because its cheaper that way and the yolk it the best part! Yummy I could eat just the yolk and toss the whites lol. Plus I've never mastered the separation process of removing my yolk from the rest of the egg.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

The article mentioned bioavailability of protein, but I'm really curious - - is the fraction of the absorbed protein >25% for egg whites?

lolwut?

lolwut would you like me to clarify for you?
  • neanderthin
    Options

Yeah, this.

That's saying they only use the one egg to hit their protein.. most likely they're on about many eggs, I use 1 egg and 3 egg whites for omelets, pancakes etc. I do it this way because I can't fit 20 grams of fat in, which it would be if I have 4 whole eggs, bearing in mind this is normally a breakfast meal and I have other meals which contain fat also.
    Well, I understand that adding yolks increase fat, but you have a way of monitoring the amount in nice little containers......so going way over is imo is an excuse not to eat yolks. On a calorie for calorie basis avocado has more fat than an egg and more saturated fat, so maybe I should stop eating avocado's as well.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I take my eggs scrambled. Usually 1 whole egg with 2 egg whites added when at home. If I'm eating out, I just go for whole eggs.

I think there's more manufactured controversy with this issue than anything else. Chances are if you go overboard on whole eggs and chug down a couple dozen a day, its going to have an adverse impact on your health. Conversely, if you cut out certain nutrients that are found in the yolks (but keep in mind they can be had elsewhere, too), your health will likely suffer. I have serious doubts as to whether a few eggs here and there will do anyone any harm.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Geez not another one of these threads, more delicious, healthy yolks being thrown out :sad:

Well, at least this one doesn't have someone throwing the yolk out and replacing with cheese :grumble:

I use 3/4c of Egg Beaters in my omelets instead of whole eggs, because I get the volume of 3 eggs for the calories of one.
    I usually use ff cheese as well, because I get more protein for less calories.
    I turn around and replace some of those calories with avocado sliced on top, because it gives me some very good healthy fats and nutrients, and it tastes amazing.

My normal omelet I have for lunch, ham and mushroom, with cheese, avocado, and salsa, is a huge plate of food, with 35 g protein, for 300 calories.

If I used 3 whole eggs, it would be 450 calories for the same volume.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    I just can't be bothered to start splitting up my eggs just for an omelette. Besides, I've got chickens on the farm, working hard to give me that whole egg. I won't belittle their accomplishments by throwing out half the deal ;)

Amen.
  • neanderthin
    Options

I'm pretty sure chocolate mice, cake, etc., don't taste like egg yolks. If they do then I'd make a complaint to whoever is making them.
    No, they equally taste great. People can be picky eaters, which was my point.