Cravings..sugesstions needed.

Options
What have you all done to overcome cravings? After lunch or dinner I feel like I NEED (I know it's not a need) something sweet. I've done a good job fighting it some days but other days the craving is soo over porwering. Plus I'm an emotional eater so it's been very hard because I'm super stressed out most of the time. I'll bring healthy things to eat but I will eat most of it in one sitting to fight the urge to eat something sweet soooo I'm interested to know what you have done. :indifferent:

Replies

• fat2strongbeth
    fat2strongbeth Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Try pre-logging and planning your meals. If you know you like something sweet after lunch or dinner, you can plan in advance for it so you don't go over for the day.
  • momshorses
    momshorses Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Bengal Spice tea sometimes helps me.
  • niricava
    niricava Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can try pre-packing some good snacks so when you do get the urge, you have something ready and portioned out.
    You can also try going for a walk or doing some activity that distracts you from the boredom and stress so you don't reach for food.
  • veggiemama81
    veggiemama81 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm a big tea fan. Something warm and sweet, like Cherry Blossom Rooibos (my favorite!) with either a tsp or so of honey is amazing. Honey adds natural sweetness and gives your body some of the sugar it's craving and one of the best things for me is that it takes a while to drink since it's hot. Plenty of time for a craving to pass. A tsp of honey has 21 calories and is sweet enough to satisfy a sugar tooth without busting your calorie budget.
  • fallenoaks50
    Options
    I either drink something - tea, diet soda, etc. - or have a piece of hard candy.
  • dblaacker
    dblaacker Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I used to have this habit of trying to eat something similar (but healthier) to get rid of cravings. I'd end up eating all sorts of things and still be unsatisfied because I hadn't fulfilled my craving. A lot of people experience this. It's better to allow yourself a little bit of something special. Moderation is key here. If you've got a problem with massive cravings for chocolate, keep dove pieces or hershey's kisses around. However, make it dark chocolate; it's better for you. All you need to do is wait a few minutes, ask yourself why you're craving something and see if you could be happy without it. If not, have one little piece, and savor it. Take tiny bites and just let them melt in your mouth. The same goes for other sweet and/or salty foods. Wait a few minutes, question your cravings, and then savor it. A little treat isn't going to throw you completely off track.
  • Lori1472
    Lori1472 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had to have something sweet after lunch at work everyday. I started bringing fresh fruit salad and eating that after lunch. I didn't think it would work, but it does satisfy the sweet tooth.
  • blindcode
    Options
    Peanut butter helps with cravings and it will also help curb your appetite. It's a quick remedy but fresh fruit and veggies are always the better choice. I found after changing my diet months ago I quit having the cravings but when the holidays came around and I ate foods not so healthy I had cravings again. Now going back to my older healthier ways, I stopped craving and used peanut butter to control it until the healthy foods took over. Strange, but worked for me. :)
  • JChiarizio
    Options
    Hot tea and dark chocolate chips mostly helps for me!
  • jlneibauer
    Options
    I try fruit and yogurt mixed together!! I'm not a huge fan of yogurt lol, but I finally found one I actually like!! I use Dannon Greek Low Fat Yogurt. I mix that with orange slices and avocado. Then sprinkle a little cinnamon on top...So good. And it totally curbs my sugar cravings. Also, the avocado has a wonderful 25grams of monounsaturated fat! Which I know sounds crazy, but you need to eat certain fats to loose fat. Monounsaturated fat is the good kind :)
    One more suggestion that a little less healthy but can be used in moderation...chocolate milk :) I used Nesquik No Sugar Added and it's a wonderful way to curb my sugar cravings. I only do this when it's like absolutely essential and so does my fiancé. The milk fills you up and the chocolate does the trick! In addition to curbing your hunger for sweets, you're getting a nice does of calcium!
  • nerual7986
    Options
    Sugar free Jello is my go to night time snack!
  • vlfreestone
    vlfreestone Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    i get the exact same way. Every night after dinner I crave something sweet. I have a low-fat yoghurt or a cup of Lemon tea. i also have (as a treat) a small bar of dark chocolate - tends to be 1/2 the bar because my hubby steals the other half! You can get these small bars from Aldi - delicious. :happy:
  • cmstirp
    cmstirp Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I don't think you can ever really overcome cravings. You'll always have cravings for random things, but you don't have to do anything about them. You can just recognize that you're having a craving, and then move on. I know it's easier said then done, but practice makes it easier. Hope that helps!
  • jasminemars01
    Options
    Lara bars are delicious and don't seem to trigger more cravings for me. Piece of dark chocolate can help. There is always 25 calorie hot cocoa. Nothing better than a big juicy orange.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I have a pack of South Beach Diet snack bars (chocolate mint are my favorite) at work for just those times. 100 calories. Hits the sweet tooth, doesn't bust my calories.
  • scarterrn
    scarterrn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I'm a big tea fan. Something warm and sweet, like Cherry Blossom Rooibos (my favorite!) with either a tsp or so of honey is amazing. Honey adds natural sweetness and gives your body some of the sugar it's craving and one of the best things for me is that it takes a while to drink since it's hot. Plenty of time for a craving to pass. A tsp of honey has 21 calories and is sweet enough to satisfy a sugar tooth without busting your calorie budget.

Same here. I travel with my tea can and honey to tackle any sweet cravings. Now that I am at a desk job, the cravings are more often (or I just notice them more). Plus, there is just something about hot beverages that just soothe me!

Have a wonderful day, everyone.
  • joshuahenderson5099
    Options
    My trick is to fill the house with healthy snacks, so when you do cheat at least it's a healthy cheat. i.e. watermelon, nuts, sunflower seeds, wheat thins, or maybe just a light protein shake.
  • stephs712
    Options
    The FiberOne chocolate brownies are pretty god and they're only 90 calories. I also crave something sweet after lunch. I don't crave it after dinner for some reason, but the lunch is always rough for me. I try to keep a little something in my desk at work, like the FiberOne bars.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Learn moderation.
  • fattpantts23
    fattpantts23 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    If I ignore my cravings, it backfires. For me, it works best to allow myself a portion of exactly what I am craving. If I tried to trick myself with something lowfat/lowsugar/fake, it only made the craving worse and I'd end up going overboard on that stuff trying to fulfill the craving. That being said, sometimes gum is enough for me after meals. I think sometimes I am more in the habit of something sweet rather than actually craving it. Maybe grab a few packs of sugar free gum? There are all sorts of dessert flavors these days.