Planet Fitness removing squat racks? Aroo?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't see the problem here.

People who want to use squat racks have lots of gym choices.

People who don't want gyms with people who use racks have apparently only one choice. Why do you want to take that choice away from those people?

Wow, I missed this one before. So it's the people "who use racks". Others are entitled to work out in a space that keeps them comfortably separated from...me.

Awesome, thanks. I guess at least you were honest, and with the pictures posted in this thread, consistent with the culture they're creating.

Well, I guess they are saying that they don't want your business. They want Planet Cardio full of cardio bunnies. Let 'em have it! *shrugs*
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I've said this before, I think it's an absolutely a brilliant business model and they know exactly what they are doing. They are not after people who want a gym experience. They are after people that will pay $10 a month and never show up. It doesn't matter to them. They are not after most people here. It's not really a gym, you guys. It's so obvious. It's a membership to a "gym". So, someone can tell their friends, "I joined a gym", and then never go. The $10/month is so small that no one cancels. And, they have lots of people continuing to pay monthly fees that never show up. It's absolutely brilliant. They don't want you and me there because we use the *kitten* out of the place and put wear and tear on the equipment. You and I are not part of their business model.

It's is brilliant. I wish I thought of it first.

Same point I tried to make....business model as they are a business and can still help some...

There are many situations where heavy lifting is not something one can do. If you are in some sort of rehabilitative state or something, it might be perfect because it's super cheap, and you can hop on a stationary bike, or treadmill or whatever and do your exercise. So, it does have a place, for sure. There are probably thousands of people at my gym that have never touched a single weight, ever. And, my gyms kinda pricey. For those people, why not hit up PF?

Sure, why not? There is no problem with people using PF. The problem is with PF characterizing a group of people as 'lunks' and then reinforcing that stereotype in the mind's of it's members. That's just plain rude.

Yet, it's ok for us to characterize cardio bunnies and noobs? Ok.

One can characterize someone however they want- the fact the PF is creating an ENTIRE BUSINESS MODEL out of it is what's wrong. You don't see other gyms talking down to "cardio bunnies" or "newbs". Those are terms that are used as slang between people at the gym- not as advertising.
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    Just another reason I will never join this gym. I will say the couple I have been in I have not seen any squat racks. Whats next to be rid of... Oh... some one that is intimidated by the dumbbells that are over 50lbs. I would say that this place has found a nitch market but for some it is the only choice short of driving way out of the way or buying their own equipment which is only possible if you have the room. These are the ones I feel for.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    My gym has free beer. Every day, all day. It's the Coors Wellness Center. I've actually never had any of it, but then again I also get free Coors at my house so there's not much appeal. (My husband works there).

Now if I found a gym that offered wine I'd be all over that.

Hmmm. Possible business opp??

And wine is good for your heart and stuff.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I've said this before, I think it's an absolutely a brilliant business model and they know exactly what they are doing. They are not after people who want a gym experience. They are after people that will pay $10 a month and never show up. It doesn't matter to them. They are not after most people here. It's not really a gym, you guys. It's so obvious. It's a membership to a "gym". So, someone can tell their friends, "I joined a gym", and then never go. The $10/month is so small that no one cancels. And, they have lots of people continuing to pay monthly fees that never show up. It's absolutely brilliant. They don't want you and me there because we use the *kitten* out of the place and put wear and tear on the equipment. You and I are not part of their business model.

It's is brilliant. I wish I thought of it first.

Same point I tried to make....business model as they are a business and can still help some...

There are many situations where heavy lifting is not something one can do. If you are in some sort of rehabilitative state or something, it might be perfect because it's super cheap, and you can hop on a stationary bike, or treadmill or whatever and do your exercise. So, it does have a place, for sure. There are probably thousands of people at my gym that have never touched a single weight, ever. And, my gyms kinda pricey. For those people, why not hit up PF?

Sure, why not? There is no problem with people using PF. The problem is with PF characterizing a group of people as 'lunks' and then reinforcing that stereotype in the mind's of it's members. That's just plain rude.

Yet, it's ok for us to characterize cardio bunnies and noobs? Ok.

One can characterize someone however they want- the fact the PF is creating an ENTIRE BUSINESS MODEL out of it is what's wrong. You don't see other gyms talking down to "cardio bunnies" or "newbs". Those are terms that are used as slang between people at the gym- not as advertising.

Agreed. It's kind of snotty, but ethics aren't usually a part of marketing, even though they teach it in the degree program. I guess, it depends on whether you're a marketer who is intending to target an audience to supply a need and gain profit through it, or if you're a marketer who is looking to manipulate and exploit the vulnerabilities of your target audience. Is either way bad/wrong? I don't know? I think it depends on what you consider ethical.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    we're at the level that they are offering.

That doesn't really mean anything, honestly. There's no "level" you need to be at to do squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure what weight training you're doing at PF, but they clearly fail to offer the most effective tools out there for people in your situation.

There are levels. And the first one is "beginner". At least that's how it was for me. I didn't stay at the beginner level. I've progressed beyond that and I plan to progress beyond the level I am now to more advanced things. And working my way up slowing and adding different activities as I go is how I build discipline. It would mean nothing for me to start at a more advanced level, get frustrated with myself, and then quit. Which I have done in the past. But, when I started off slowly at a beginner's level, I gained confidence, strength, and discipline. And, when I outgrew the beginner's level activities, it made me want to push myself to more. That's all I'm saying. Joining PF helped me do that. I NEEDED that to get myself where I am to day and to help motivate me to more in the future. I will probably outgrow PF soon. And when I do, I'll move on to something else. And that's fine too. As a matter of fact, that was always my goal. The fact that I can say that I am outgrowing PF is a HUGE accomplishment for me when two years ago, a twenty minute walk was painful for me.

I dont understand this either..if you start with a 100# deadlift that is not advanced….
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    What's funny to me is that I am a member of Planet Fitness and ours must be a gem- the gym is just fine, though the commercials and lunk alarm are completely awful- while we wish we had a REAL squat rack, there is always a line for our 6 smith machines where many squat and occasionally deadlift. We also have several members I see there daily who do fitness competitions (though, mostly females). Our free-weight/bench/smith machine area is always AS CROWDED or more-so than the cardio area and at least 5x more crowded than any of the circuits (not that there's anything wrong with circuits, I go in there for a few machines).
    I pass on the pizza and bagels every week, squat and deadlift my heart out alarm-free and casually nod at the other lifters I see nearly every day...
    Somehow I have avoided talking half naked about how hot I am in the locker room adn rubbing my junk with a towel and bragging about my "burn". Not sure how I do it, but I contain myself...
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    So, are you saying I can pick up a purple squat rack on the cheap?
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    My gym has free beer. Every day, all day. It's the Coors Wellness Center. I've actually never had any of it, but then again I also get free Coors at my house so there's not much appeal. (My husband works there).

Now if I found a gym that offered wine I'd be all over that.

Hmmm. Possible business opp??

And wine is good for your heart and stuff.

If I can get this then I can run and drink my wine without spilling! Win-win-win

winesippycup_zps06052b9f.jpg
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options

That doesn't really mean anything, honestly. There's no "level" you need to be at to do squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure what weight training you're doing at PF, but they clearly fail to offer the most effective tools out there for people in your situation.

There are levels. And the first one is "beginner". At least that's how it was for me. I didn't stay at the beginner level. I've progressed beyond that and I plan to progress beyond the level I am now to more advanced things. And working my way up slowing and adding different activities as I go is how I build discipline. It would mean nothing for me to start at a more advanced level, get frustrated with myself, and then quit. Which I have done in the past. But, when I started off slowly at a beginner's level, I gained confidence, strength, and discipline. And, when I outgrew the beginner's level activities, it made me want to push myself to more. That's all I'm saying. Joining PF helped me do that. I NEEDED that to get myself where I am to day and to help motivate me to more in the future. I will probably outgrow PF soon. And when I do, I'll move on to something else. And that's fine too. As a matter of fact, that was always my goal. The fact that I can say that I am outgrowing PF is a HUGE accomplishment for me when two years ago, a twenty minute walk was painful for me.

Are these Planet Fitness "levels"? These don't make any sense.

The absolute first thing I would teach an absolute, know-nothing newbie is how to squat. Period, end of story. It's the single most effective and efficient exercise you can do for fat loss, strength, and muscle development.

I'm happy for your progress and all, but you're really selling yourself short by convincing yourself (or letting other people convince you) that you're not ready for "real" exercise or something.

Are you purposely misunderstanding me? Seriously, I'm not sure. Of course there are levels; there are levels of activity, levels of skill, levels of abilities, levels confidence. When I first decided that I wanted to get healthy, I couldn't do more than 7 minutes on an elliptical. I couldn't do free weights because I didn't know the form. I also hadn't done squats, lunges, planks, etc. But I slowly learned. I learned what exercises, like squats, lunges, planks, etc, were good for me and how to do them. And I started doing them regularly. And I would add on new exercises slowly. Over the course of a month or two, I gained stamina and strength. I could do cardio longer and could do more reps of strength training activities. And I gained more confidence in my ability to do even more. Also, my desire to learn bigger and better things increased. I was no longer a beginner in working out. I had advanced. That is what I mean by levels.

For the record:

I CAN do squats. I DO squats. Often. I don't particularly like them, but they ARE a part of my workout routine.

I HAVE used free weights. I had a friend teach me how because I didn't know the right form in the beginning. She taught me at PF

I HAVE used weight machines. In the beginning, I used them exclusively until a friend told me that free weights were better because you got a more complete core workout instead of just targeting certain muscle groups with the weight machines. She taught me at PF.

I HAVE and DO incorporate different kinds of strength training in with my cardio. I've done yoga, pilates, tai chi, free weights, etc. But I didn't always. In the beginning, I couldn't. I had to build up to this.

There are definitely levels to fitness. The problem with PF is that they are going to take away that growth opportunity by taking away squats and deadlifts. I joined the Y (lots of everything) and when I started, I spent time on the elliptical, treadmill and bikes. I would look over to my right and see the weight machines. Eventually, I got trained on them and now free weights were in my sightline. Finally took the step into Powerlifts 5X5 (trained on them) and love it. I have a lot of weight to lose and still do cardio but the point is...if you can't see that next level...you're not going to try to achieve it.

I can understand what you're saying...except it's not entirely true. If I can't see the next level there, I'd just go somewhere else. Once I outgrow it, I'll move on, as with everything else in life. If I can't see it, but I want it, I go find it.

And they didn't take away squats. And most didn't take away deadlifts. Each location is independently owned. I've seen deadlifts done at my PF. And squats. I've done squats at my PF.

As someone else said, to each his own. People who find PF beneficial and fitting for their needs should go. People who don't should feel free to go elsewhere where their needs are met.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    What's funny to me is that I am a member of Planet Fitness and ours must be a gem- the gym is just fine, though the commercials and lunk alarm are completely awful- while we wish we had a REAL squat rack, there is always a line for our 6 smith machines where many squat and occasionally deadlift. We also have several members I see there daily who do fitness competitions (though, mostly females). Our free-weight/bench/smith machine area is always AS CROWDED or more-so than the cardio area and at least 5x more crowded than any of the circuits (not that there's anything wrong with circuits, I go in there for a few machines).
    I pass on the pizza and bagels every week, squat and deadlift my heart out alarm-free and casually nod at the other lifters I see nearly every day...
    Somehow I have avoided talking half naked about how hot I am in the locker room adn rubbing my junk with a towel and bragging about my "burn". Not sure how I do it, but I contain myself...

:laugh: you just haven't been there long enough. the compulsion to strut around half naked will overtake you eventually
  • christinemadden0223
    christinemadden0223 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Lol if the pizza doesn't get me first!!!
  • tnicmorris
    tnicmorris Posts: 144 Member
    Options

I dont understand this either..if you start with a 100# deadlift that is not advanced….

For you, maybe not. For a 300 lb woman who felt pain after walking for 12 minutes, it would have been. I'm much better and stronger now. But I wasn't always. If everyone had the same strength, stamina, abilities, no injuries, motivation, desire, etc, you would have a point. Not all of us could just one day walk into a gym and do a 30 minute routine. Not all of us could start off doing 3 reps of 8 with 45lb barbells. We have to start somewhere else. Somewhere smaller and build up to that. That's what I mean by levels. When I did Zumba at home, I started out doing only 3 dances before I had to sit down for 5 minutes. Now, I can do an hour class without feeling pain. I worked up to that.
  • micervera
    micervera Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I personally use the Smith machines for squats and in my PF gym we didn't have the squat racks so I'm not missing out on anything. I actually don't mind PF cause it fits my needs (mostly cardio). I only lift to tone but not to build up. Also the 2 gyms I visit (I have the black card) all the people that work there are nice and courteous. In general I can't complain.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    roflbot.jpg
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    yet another reason to not go to planet fitness ..what a joke….

whats next…no deadlifting..oh wait…you can't do that either..

On this trajectory it's only a matter of time before first the Olympic barbells and then the fixed barbells are gone. Then the dumbbells and benches.

After that they'll start on the cardio machines until there is nothing but ellipticals left (that'll show those smug treadmill runners).

Then they'll get rid of those too and be free to pursue their true business model - monthly pizza club subscription.

maybe that is their master plan ..lure everyone in with pizza and slowly eliminate all the gym equipment….

I'm going to open a pizza joint next door, and put a squat rack in the middle of the dining room.

bahahahahahaha..

I will open a donut shop next store and put a deadlift station in it….

Okay...IN, I will open a Starbucks INSIDE of it and put a pull up bar in the middle of it.

I've got the ice cream shop with the power cage. I'll even include a bench, so you can do bench press inside the power cage.
  • jdaley90
    jdaley90 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    More people at planet fitness means more space for the rest of us to squat, dead lift, and grunt at real gyms!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I personally use the Smith machines for squats and in my PF gym we didn't have the squat racks so I'm not missing out on anything. I actually don't mind PF cause it fits my needs (mostly cardio). I only lift to tone but not to build up. Also the 2 gyms I visit (I have the black card) all the people that work there are nice and courteous. In general I can't complain.

Just throwing this out there.....It is really, really, really hard to put on substancial muscle mass "build up". It takes a ton of work and eating at a surplus.

The lifting alone doesn't make you bigger, it needs to be coupled with how much you eat as well.
  • rexiecatmeow
    rexiecatmeow Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    wtf the pf by me never had a squat rack.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    But I guess the doghnuts and bagels with PIzza fridays fit into their model....