SHOCKING!

Options

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by how many calories there are in so called healthy foods like the Tuscan Linguine at Noodles and all the sandwiches at Panera. This week when I went to Noodles for lunch I got the small Japanese pan noodles with shrimp and the salad in their trio meal.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to avoid the fast food, Starbucks, McDonalds Frappe's completely. Going out to eat has been severely reduced. For obvious reasons! Same on the chips or snack crackers. If I don't go there, I won't miss it as much as if I have it in small portions. It's all or nothing for me on some things.

I'm drinking black coffee, or hot flavored tea without sweetners. I like them. Especially made at home. I bring my big cup with me. My favorite is peach or peppermint Celestial Seasonings. I have a bag of dried fruit and granola or sunflower seeds in the car so If I am really hungry I won't stop for fast food. If it's fast food or a granola bar, I win if I eat the granola. Out of sight, out of mind on the fast food.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    When I started my eating / lifestyle change at the beginning of this year I went back to check a starbucks drink I had been
    drinking EVERYDAY.

The white chocolate mocha .. venti
    580 calories
    75 g sugar

HOLY F !!!!! Not to mention on certain days there would have been a visit to McDonalds for lunch .. and Wendy's for dinner ..
    Probably a chocolate bar or two in there AND to top the day off with a white chocolate mocha BIGGIE style

GEEEEEEEEEEEEES !!!! No wonder I was biggie style !!!! I'm surprised that I didn't slip into a diabetic coma !

I am SO thankful for what I know now ... and what I am DOING NOW :)

That was my drink! Uuggh!:drinker:
  • just4peachy
    just4peachy Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    youz peoples gosta stop drinking your calories!!!!!!

woah.
    But I like my calories drinked.

Guess that's why I'm here...
  • DondeEstaMiCulo
    Options
    So in honor of Veteran's Day, AppleBee's was giving away free dinners to veterans. Both my dad and grand father are Army vets, so we decided to partake of their generosity. I was prepared to stray from my "diet" a bit, but I had NO idea what was about to happen...

Chicken Florentine Ravioli: 1,320 calories!
    Chocolate Chip Cookie Sundae: 1,660 calories!!

Unfortunately, I only had 100+ calories left for dinner, and boy did I just blow that out of the water! Now I can't eat for three more days, lol. Either that, or I need to do 3 workouts tomorrow. ;)

Can anyone guess what I *won't* be eating again anytime soon? hahaha

~Brian
  • Lulu2929
    Options
    Yeah, sometimes just checking the calories does it. they are just NOT worth it.
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I just calculated my coworkers lunh. He had the 2 for $5 Western Bacon Cheeseburgers, Crispy cut fries and 24 oz Pepsi from Carl's Jr. It was 1870 cals and 95 g of FAT!!!! I was SHOCKED! :noway:

That is disgusting... like... I literally almost threw up a little in my mouth. Gross!!!
  • NikkisNewStart
    NikkisNewStart Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    This. is. gross. It should be illegal. I can't believe I used to put this into my body. Every time I signed the check it was like signing my own death certificate. There is no question why we live in an obese nation with this being advertised and served on every street corner in every city. It makes me sad and angry. I'm thankful for this site and how it has opened my eyes. You only get 1 life- don't waste it putting this trash into your body.

Chili's Bar & Grill

Texas Cheese Fries -1/2 order w/ Jalapeno Ranch
    1410 calories
    101 fat
    47 sat fat
    66 carbs
    64 protein
    7 fiber
    3650 sodium

Quesadilla- Bacon Ranch Chicken
    1620 calories
    103 fat
    37 sat fat
    94 carbs
    80 protein
    6 fiber
    3260 sodium

Add Rice and Black Beans
    340 calories
    7 fat
    1 sat fat
    58 carbs
    10 protein
    6 fiber
    1020 sodium

White Chocolate Molten Cake- 1/2 order
    625 calories
    32.25 fat
    12 sat fat
    75 carbs
    7 protein
    0 fiber
    225 sodium

GRAND TOTAL:
    3995 calories
    243.25 fat
    97 sat fat
    293 carbs
    161 protein
    19 fiber
    8155 sodium
    Sugar content is not even available on Chili's site- I wonder why?!?
  • marniehodges
    Options
    20 oz. Milkee Way Mocha from Moxie Java=436 calories. Crazy! Now if I get coffee out, which is rare, I get a 16 oz. skinny vanilla latte from Starbucks for 120 cal. And my favorite thing to eat out at any restaurant used to be nachos and mexican food. Chili's chicken nachos=1110 cal. (for the small)! Chili's skillet queso and chips= 1500 cal. Applebees Chicken quesadilla grande=1440 cal. Applebees Chilli cheese nachos=1680 cal. Both these restaurants have healthy choice menus with menu items under 500 cal.- some in the 300 cal. range, and shocking as it may seem the low cal options really do taste good! It's all about choices people and I choose not to be a heart attack waiting to happen anymore!
  • allie7383
    allie7383 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    in college, for my weekly treat-- starbucks-- grande java chip frapp-- 440 calories... and sometimes i'd also get one of those big cookies with the M&M's in it... now i try to just not go, but when i do it's a skinny vanilla latte or caramel frap light.. i work nights so i drink coffee at least 5 times a week. i've managed to wean myself from being a light and sweet person, where i knew it was good if i could see the layer of sugar in my iced coffee, to a no sugar, just skim milk.. or if it's from home, which is the usual, a 1 teaspoon of sugar free coffeemate powder creamer.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Isn't this awful?!

My husband I used to go to this place called Island's all the time (it's a mini-chain in SoCal). I used to get the Hawaiian burger- (pretty big) beef burger, with mayo, lettuce, tomato, pineapple slices, teriyaki sauce, and swiss cheese. I'd get it with the whole wheat bun and add bacon. And sub fries for onion rings, with a side of ranch dressing to dip them in. Then I joined this site. And looked up the nutritional info. They don't have it on their website, but another side calculated it, and came up with:

1450 cals
    91 g fat
    31 g sat fat
    2 g trans fat
    1490 sodium
    80 carbs

And that is without the onion rings OR the bacon!!!! OR the ranch!!

I pretty much died when I saw that. The burger alone is over an entire day's worth of cals, and over 2 days worth of fat, not to mention how ridiculous it gets when you add in the rest of the stuff! It was a big burger, but I would eat almost the whole thing no problem (usually leave some of the bun on the plate), steal some of my husband's cherry coke, and every so often get a drink myself (lava colada). And this was only one meal of the day!!

I've only been back once since, and it was because a friend was visiting and we took her there before and she really wanted to go back. I convinced her to split the burger with me (no mayo, and no bacon this time!) since we both weren't that hungry. And even only half still that killed me, because I went wayyyyyyy over in fat from that meal alone!

It is really scary to think how quickly you can overeat and still not feel like you've gorged or you're overly full, especially when you can drink so many calories without even noticing or realizing it.
  • leanmass24
    leanmass24 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    So in honor of Veteran's Day, AppleBee's was giving away free dinners to veterans. Both my dad and grand father are Army vets, so we decided to partake of their generosity.

I wish I woulda known about this....Free dinner is always good. there are some healthy choices there but you have to know what you are looking for... I always have my iphone there to look up calorie info when I go out to eat. It saves me from alot of pain and heartache later.

I used to go to outback steakhouse when I worked at my previous job and get the bacon cheese fries with sour cream and chives. order a bacon cheese burger, side of sauteed mushrooms, and a bowl of baked potato soup, and on the way back from picking that up I would stop at starbucks and get a Venti White chocolate mocha with whip cream. either that or mcdonalds was right next door so I would get one of the supersize Sweet tea for a $1. Or one of my other favorite meals was 2double cheese burgers. spicy chicken sandwich, large fries, sweet tea for $5 sometimes a sundae too but if I did that I would skip one of the sandwiches. I dont even want to know what the calorie and nutrition content are. It makes me sick just thinking about it. I have cut out fast food and soda all together since I started losing weight again. Well I did stop at jack in the box one night a while back cause I had Like 2000 calories left for the day(I did a monster workout 1600cals worth) and it was late, I was hungry and kinda far away from home. I got a chicken pita with fries and a Pumpkin pie shake... I stayed under all my values that day except for sodium.
  • kmstars
    kmstars Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh NO!! Thats sucks! Applebee's has a LOT of things on their menu that are weight watches and such that show you the calories...
    That would have been a better choice..
    I understand though.. we all have our temptations from time to time.
    :ohwell:
  • DondeEstaMiCulo
    Options
    I did better last night though... Went to Perkins for dinner, had the Mushroom Swiss Chicken with Broccoli and Asparagus. STILL it was 800+ calories though. GAH!!

At least I didn't have a big piece of pie and ice cream like my friend did. Strangely enough, the chicken sounded a LOT better to me than pie.

~Brian
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    The turkey burger that I thought was so healthy from Ruby Tuesday's. Almost 700 Calories. Geez...
  • Bermudabarbie
    Bermudabarbie Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Some foods just get bad "reps" and pasta and baked potatoes are two very good foods for dieters that hold bad reputations. It's not those foods in their cooked forms, it's all the extra stuff you add. You can certainly enjoy either of these foods, but be very, very careful of what you add to them.

My "sin food" was a Cranberry/ Orange Scone from Starbucks. Calories in these harmless looking cakes: 460, Fats 15Gr, sodium 330 mg, carbs 76 grams and sugars... 33g.

After enjoying one 2 or 3 times a week, I quit Cold Turkey when I joined MFP. That was 86 days ago. I had no choice. But I still do miss them!
  • angelakaywatson
    Options
    I am a coffeeholic...!!!! Try Starbucks Grande light Carmel Frappuccino it's only 150 calories without whip cream. As For mom's chocolate cake, try a 100 calorie Oreo Snack cake (Frozen) with a Jello light chocolate mouse parfait. It's a cross between a chocolate ice cream cake and heaven :) enjoy!
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Broasted chicken dinner, 1 breast, 1 leg, potato wedges, sour cream, roll with honey, cole slaw and a beer, 1825 calories. Oh man. At least once or twice a month we ordered these.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    My fav meal used to be pancakes with icecream bacon grilled banana and maple syrup and mint from the cafe down the road.

When I first read this I thought it was a joke. Wowza. I am glad I do not live close to this cafe....
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I was surprised just how caloric the Jose Cuervo Golden Margarita mix is (tequila already in there, pour and drink). While it's only in the 300+ calorie range, it's more than what I eat for breakfast, and certainly more than a snack. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a low-cal margarita. I'll have to mess around with lime-flavored KoolAid / Splenda and ???

I used to LOVE those... now I can't really remember the last time I had one. Instead of lime flavored KoolAid, why not just some real lime juice?