It finally happened...

Options
2»

Replies

• dennik15
    dennik15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    This is going to make me sound like one of those airhead Millennials, but, what graduating teenager has a cheque book? Haha, everyone just BPays, PayPals and Direct Debits. I guarantee half my graduating class wouldn't even know HOW to write a cheque, let alone balance the whole book, something which I can actually do.

However, as someone that works in retail, I believe they should receive a tazer, and have to politely pass through a supermarket checkout before being allowed to graduate, or I, the cashier, gets to taze them with their own tazer, and squash their watermelon!

Unfortunately for those not taught to use a checkbook, there are still companies that don't accept electronic payment and you actually do have to use snail mail and a check. Not many, but often smaller service companies don't have the ability or desire to accept plastic or paypal. For example, the fine gentlemen who fixed my furnace the other day (when it was -30 wind chill and we had no heat in 1/3 of the house)...no check, no heat.

To the OP...I had a lady at a blood drive ask me when I was due, WHILE I WAS DONATING BLOOD. Pretty sure my donation should have been the first clue as they don't let pregnant women do that sort of thing that I'm aware of. I told her 2 years ago, that promptly shut her up.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I got the "Are you having a baby?" Question...

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DO PEOPLE ASK THAT QUESTION?!?! :devil: :brokenheart: :sad: :huh:
    What were you wearing at the time? Loos-fitting shirts and dresses can make even the slimmest woman look pregnant.
  • Schtroumpfkin
    Schtroumpfkin Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I hope you said "Yes, can I have your seat?"

Every cloud etc....
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    I USED to get this question quite frequently. You know what shuts them and makes sure that they never ask again, AS WELL AS helps spread word to not ask??

"Nope, just fat" :devil: :laugh: :devil: :laugh: :devil: :devil: :devil:

I say it cheerfully, and with a big *kitten* smile :wink: :wink: :wink:

Love this and I've used it myself. It works well and puts the embarrassment back where it belongs, on the other person.

I've also heard "when are you due?" and respond with a blank look and "due for what?" That works well too.

Ironically, I'm a Labor and Delivery nurse. We also never assume the person at the front desk is pregnant, especially if the ER is bringing them up to us. On occasion they've brought up non-English speaking women who are just overweight.

The rule of thumb should be, don't ask if someone is pregnant unless you see the head emerging from her body. :bigsmile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I've been asked "when's it due", sure I've done the same at least once to friends.
    Ok, I'm bloke and that would be to male friends :).

I noted a reasonably 'large' woman had to specify something about being pregnant to me - I had just presumed she was fat!
  • Lonestar5775
    Lonestar5775 Posts: 740 Member
    Options

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DO PEOPLE ASK THAT QUESTION?!?! :devil: :brokenheart: :sad: :huh:

Because they want to be the first to congratulate you.
  • Livin4me1969
    Livin4me1969 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I USED to get this question quite frequently. You know what shuts them and makes sure that they never ask again, AS WELL AS helps spread word to not ask??

Totally This :laugh:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I worked with a woman who was normally very thin. I hadn't seen her for several months and when I ran into her. She had a protruding belly. There is no way she had put on that much weight in that short amount of time and she was only carrying it in her stomach. She was standing with her hand on her belly too.

Admittedly, I asked if she was expecting. She wasn't. I'm still not sure what was going on with that. But depending on the circumstances, I could see how one might make that mistake.
  • tzig00
    tzig00 Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I got asked that by a lady that I used to go to church with. I had my almost 1 year old son with me buying Christmas gifts for my family and she said she heard I was pregnant and asked when I was due. I looked her straight in the eyes and pointed to my son and said this is him and I was due in January of this year. You should've seen her eyes and how big they got! She just said I'm sorry and congratulations and didn't say another word to me. I also had a guy at 7-11 ask when I was due (when I was actually pregnant) and I told him and asked how he could tell. He told me he asks anyone who wears the "high waist" shirts that. Ignorance is bliss...
  • Zombieinkpot
    Zombieinkpot Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    I was waiting outside a shop one day and a little girl walked past with her father. I heard her ask 'is that lady pregnant?' It made a welcome change from 'look at that fatso' which children usually cry when they see me.
  • Nimue108
    Nimue108 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who was adopting and was at Babies R Us to pick up stuff when someone asked her when she was due. She looked at them and said 'The baby is due in December, but I am adopting so this is just ice cream' I laughed so hard when she told me.:laugh:
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Options

LOL!! Thanks so much for the supportive comments everyone! I love MFP :heart: You guys are hilarious! Thanks for making me laugh about it. I was crushed last night! :flowerforyou:
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    Step 1: Buy awesome high voltage tazer.

Step 2: Taze anyone who asks anything remotely like that or tries to touch your belly.

After 1 or 2 people, you might just buy one of those fake baby bumps just to have the excuse to taze another D-Bag! :smile:

OMG I would be MORTIFIED if someone I didn't know tried to touch my belly!! Even if I WAS pregnant! NO NO NO!

::off to buy tazer:: :laugh:
  • laurenz2501
    Options
    I got a good one once... a mum at my daughters nusery asked me that question... i said no im not and she said 'oh... its just because i am expecting so thought you were' - what???? so cos your having a baby you think i am too.. well no love just got baby weight from thye last one!!!

Jeezzzzz!!

Yeah what?! That makes no sense whatsoever. She probably just didn't know what else to say. In my case, at least the guy seems to not have all the lights on upstairs, if you know what I mean. I asked others and they said "No we never heard that. Don't listen to him. He's a moron" :laugh:
  • laurenz2501
    Options

What were you wearing at the time? Loos-fitting shirts and dresses can make even the slimmest woman look pregnant.

Well, I'm a Correctional Officer and I have a big duty belt that's covered by my jacket. I told him that's what it was...

ETA: But I'm 100% sure he's seen me without the jacket on. Also maybe because I eat both lunch and dinner at work on this shift (I work 2-10PM) and I eat here and there when I get hungry...So they might see me eating SEEMINGLY all the time :laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I'm sorry :(