About to quit!

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok, I can't believe I am the first to post this, but:
    Are you really burning 1200 calories and eating only 1200 calories? If so, you are leaving your body absolutely nothing to funcition with! You should be NETTING a minimum of 1200 calories a day, which means after your workout is figured in, you should show that you consumed 1200 calories MORE than what you burned. If you really are only eating 1200 while also burning 1200 there is a good chance your body is hanging on to fat stores in an attempt to keep you from starving.
    You need to eat generally healthy foods (with "fatty" or sugary foods in moderation, of course :wink: ) and make sure that you are eating at least 1200 more calories than you burn every day. That means if you burn 1200 calories, you need to consume 2400 calories. I know it sounds like a lot, but it works. There are a TON of people on MFP who have had massive success, and this is always their advice.
    Good luck and don't give up! :flowerforyou:

Nobody else posted that, because it's not possible to gain weight while eating at a deficit. And the body doesn't "hang on" to fat stores to stop you from starving. About a million skinny people in Africa will prove you wrong, as well as every anorexic in America. Karen Carpenter would still be alive if that were the case.

The starving people in Africa and Karen Carpenter didn't have any fat stores to hang on to in the first place.
    Well, now you've proven twice that you have no idea what you're talking about, so we can safely ignore anything else you say. Thanks for making it easy for us.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! You will get as thin as you want. My gosh you are working so hard. You must be eating to many calories. It is amazing how many calories are in foods that we would never think of. So track every LITTLE bit of food. Every thing you put in your mouth. Only eat the 1200 calories suggested. NO MORE!!!!!!! NO MATTER WHAT!!!! I promise you, you will loose again. Your body can put on 6 or more pounds of water weight overnight so do not be concerned at what the scale says, If you are eating 1200 calories, you are loosing and thats a fact. If you look at monthly weight loss you will see it.

017057585c00477b9dcdbf88f9b28ae6@2x.gif

This is bad advice. I recognize that you are trying to be helpful, but if she is actually putting out 1000 calorie burns in a day, only eating 1200 will be DEVASTATING to her body.

OP... I'd recommend... try:
    - upping your protein
    - consider reducing your HRM estimated burns by about 20% when you log them.
    - Eat back at least half of your exercise calories in protein dense foods.
    - Get enough water.
    - Get enough sleep.
    - Take your measurements... I lost only 15 pounds, but 6 dress sizes.
    - Take front, back, and both side relaxed pictures. Repeat in a month.
    - Check out the Eat Train Progress group on here. Sara and Sidesteel know what they're talking about!!!
    - depending on how long you have had your HRM, update your stats on it. If it thinks you are 70 pounds heavier, it will miscalculate your burns.

People may not like me saying this... but maybe you need to back off on some of the exercises.
    2.5 hours a day 4-5 times a day seems a bit excessive, and may not be doing you favors. Perhaps consider cutting back the amount of exercise (and eat less accordingly).

And don't give up.

You don't need a quick fix, you need something sustainable. Remind yourself of that when you want to see the pounds melting away. As you shrink, it gets harder to lose the weight. It is NOT linear. It IS possible.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Are you really burning 1200 calories and eating only 1200 calories? If so, you are leaving your body absolutely nothing to funcition with! You should be NETTING a minimum of 1200 calories a day, which means after your workout is figured in, you should show that you consumed 1200 calories MORE than what you burned. If you really are only eating 1200 while also burning 1200 there is a good chance your body is hanging on to fat stores in an attempt to keep you from starving.
    You need to eat generally healthy foods (with "fatty" or sugary foods in moderation, of course :wink: ) and make sure that you are eating at least 1200 more calories than you burn every day. That means if you burn 1200 calories, you need to consume 2400 calories. I know it sounds like a lot, but it works. There are a TON of people on MFP who have had massive success, and this is always their advice.

Nobody else posted that, because it's not possible to gain weight while eating at a deficit. And the body doesn't "hang on" to fat stores to stop you from starving. About a million skinny people in Africa will prove you wrong, as well as every anorexic in America. Karen Carpenter would still be alive if that were the case.

The starving people in Africa and Karen Carpenter didn't have any fat stores to hang on to in the first place.
    Well, now you've proven twice that you have no idea what you're talking about, so we can safely ignore anything else you say. Thanks for making it easy for us.

:drinker:
  • carol5047
    carol5047 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Here is a video showing how bad of a quitter I was and where It got me. Feel free to watch and hopefully it can help you past this bump in the road.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTk_ge1KIPU
    [/quote]

Wow! What a great job you have done! Thanks for the inspiration! I'm sure you Father and Granny are so proud of you! :smile:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    OP, start tracking again and use a scale to weigh all solid foods and measuring cups for liquids. If you are in a deficit you will lose weight period. The only thing that might mast some weight loss could be water retention. So most likely like others said, you are eating more than you think, and burning less than you think you are.
  • Lemmon827
    Lemmon827 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You should also take body measurements and not rely so much on the scale. I too have been stuck at the same weight for over a year, but have lost over 20 inches all over my body within that year. My story sounds almost exactly like yours and can't figure out why the loss came to a complete stand still.

I agree with the above. Take measurements. This may help distinguish between muscle and fat. Make sure you switch it up with muscle confusion techniques. Never stop watching what ya eat. Its easy to become complacent after progress has been made. Btw I think ya look great! So don't give up. Maybe ya just hit a plateau, everybody does at some point. Just gotta work harder and stay positive.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    in
  • Headingforhealthier
    Options
    If you ask for help but don't listen to anyone's advice, my advice is to #JSF!

Forgive my ignorance - Jedi Star Fighter? What is this JSF?
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

Forgive my ignorance - Jedi Star Fighter? What is this JSF?

Just Stay Fat.

Usually used in response to someone asking for advice but seemingly unwilling to take it.
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    I'll open it.. I don;t log every day, I try!

Problem solved. Log every day. you're eating more than you think :)

THIS COMPLETELY THIS
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Just from the tone of your post I can see you're frustrated. Take a step back and re-evaluate what you're doing. Try this: log absolutely everything you eat for 2 weeks. EVERYTHING, even condiments, spices, whatnot. See is there is some hitch in the plan that's holding you back. Weigh and measure your food, no eyeballing.

I would also suggest not worrying too highly about the number on the scale, it's going to be ever-changing. Are you taking measurements? Have you gone down in inches, even if the scale hasn't moved or even gone up?
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Keep at it! You will get as thin as you want. My gosh you are working so hard. You must be eating to many calories. It is amazing how many calories are in foods that we would never think of. So track every LITTLE bit of food. Every thing you put in your mouth. Only eat the 1200 calories suggested. NO MORE!!!!!!! NO MATTER WHAT!!!! I promise you, you will loose again. Your body can put on 6 or more pounds of water weight overnight so do not be concerned at what the scale says, If you are eating 1200 calories, you are loosing and thats a fact. If you look at monthly weight loss you will see it.

017057585c00477b9dcdbf88f9b28ae6@2x.gif

This is bad advice. I recognize that you are trying to be helpful, but if she is actually putting out 1000 calorie burns in a day, only eating 1200 will be DEVASTATING to her body.

OP... I'd recommend... try:
    - upping your protein
    - consider reducing your HRM estimated burns by about 20% when you log them.
    - Eat back at least half of your exercise calories in protein dense foods.
    - Get enough water.
    - Get enough sleep.
    - Take your measurements... I lost only 15 pounds, but 6 dress sizes.
    - Take front, back, and both side relaxed pictures. Repeat in a month.
    - Check out the Eat Train Progress group on here. Sara and Sidesteel know what they're talking about!!!
    - depending on how long you have had your HRM, update your stats on it. If it thinks you are 70 pounds heavier, it will miscalculate your burns.

People may not like me saying this... but maybe you need to back off on some of the exercises.
    2.5 hours a day 4-5 times a day seems a bit excessive, and may not be doing you favors. Perhaps consider cutting back the amount of exercise (and eat less accordingly).

And don't give up.

You don't need a quick fix, you need something sustainable. Remind yourself of that when you want to see the pounds melting away. As you shrink, it gets harder to lose the weight. It is NOT linear. It IS possible.

Oh and totally this too! Mirey is completely right on!
  • VeroniqueBoilard
    VeroniqueBoilard Posts: 71 Member
    Options

I'm very sorry but you are wrong! Search the forum: all the successful people here seem to have hit that problem at one point or the other: they up their exercise regimen netting at less then 1200 calories a day and stopped losing weight. The human body is a very complex machine and someone better at this will hopefully come on this post to explain again how the different hormones in our body interacts when we go in aggressive deficit.

I would also suggest to reduce exercise or limit to only strength training and eat at maintenance for a few weeks and then gradually reduce calories to maximum 500 calories deficit per day if you have more then 20 pounds to lose and 250 calories a day if you have less. It will take longer, but it will be less harmful to your health and will more likely get you to your goal.
  • Jenn842512
    Jenn842512 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Let's talk about how you FEEL, rather than a number on the scale!
    Also, that's a LOT od calories to burn. If you're not fueling your body back up after that kind of work, it's going to rebel on you, decide it knows better, and store up for hard times, which it thinks its going through given all your exercise!
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options

I'm very sorry but you are wrong! Search the forum: all the successful people here seem to have hit that problem at one point or the other: they up their exercise regimen netting at less then 1200 calories a day and stopped losing weight. The human body is a very complex machine and someone better at this will hopefully come on this post to explain again how the different hormones in our body interacts when we go in aggressive deficit.

I would also suggest to reduce exercise or limit to only strength training and eat at maintenance for a few weeks and then gradually reduce calories to maximum 500 calories deficit per day if you have more then 20 pounds to lose and 250 calories a day if you have less. It will take longer, but it will be less harmful to your health and will more likely get you to your goal.

Thankfully the only thing needed to prove a mass generalization incorrect is a single counter example.

I present myself as the counter example. I am a successful person (see ticker). I have never had that problem.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

How is it wrong? "All the successful people" will tell you they had to make adjustments in CICO to lose weight. Often people are miscalculating. You can increase or lower your exercise regimen all day long, but weight loss is pretty much dependent on how many calories you consume. Everyone pleateaus but if you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will lose weight.
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options

YOu're kind. ANd I haven't ignored anyone. You may want to relax there.
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    Thank you for this!! I'll have to check it out! Appreciate it.
  • emtbythesea
    emtbythesea Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I echo what so many others say: log every single thing, eat less fat grams (I eat over 2200 calories per day - a total of 40g of fat - it's sooo hard to do). Also, remember how important carbs are for energy and mood control. Finally, someone else here suggested some HIIT and I agree. It's fast and fun. You will get results. Stay with it because you're doing great!
  • Bumdrahp
    Options
    I am just bck at it after a break. I have never done any work outs as intense as I am now. I know my body needs to adjust but Its just discouraging. I was once 280 lbs and I managed to lose 100 by myself without issue.. now It's just become a pain in my *kitten*... Just got to keep trying..