The 17 Day Diet

13»

Replies

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I'm sure there are people that have tried it. They may have even had success with it. The problem with diets like this is they are not sustainable. What happens after the 17 days to ensure the weight stays off and you don't gain it all back? A lot of times we want results fast. My thoughts are, I didn't gain this weight in 17 days (6 weeks, 90 days, whatever), I'm not going to lose it that fast either.

As simple as it sounds, maintaining a moderate calorie deficit will do so much more for you than any "special" diet. You will lose weight slowly but you will be able to keep it off easier. Many people on here are doing it and succeeding. It really is that simple.

Hey, OP, what about this response? Why not acknowledge this one, too? It is neither rude nor judgemental.

Sadly, I'm pretty sure I already know the answer. Best of luck to you.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I am a busy Woman with a career and Family. Boy how I wish I didn't have a life or any friends so I could spend all day of MFP looking for different ways to be a *kitten* rag!
    If you Google the 17 Day Diet you will get an overview of the 4 cycles of the 17 day diet,which has very few restrictions outside of No Booze
    no sugar except fruit sugar before 2
    no processed foods
    no refined carbs.
    Pretty much identical to the diet Diabetics have to follow. By the time you are in the 4th cycle you can eat whatever you like in moderation.

Bless your heart. :flowerforyou:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    I'm sure there are people that have tried it. They may have even had success with it. The problem with diets like this is they are not sustainable. What happens after the 17 days to ensure the weight stays off and you don't gain it all back? A lot of times we want results fast. My thoughts are, I didn't gain this weight in 17 days (6 weeks, 90 days, whatever), I'm not going to lose it that fast either.

As simple as it sounds, maintaining a moderate calorie deficit will do so much more for you than any "special" diet. You will lose weight slowly but you will be able to keep it off easier. Many people on here are doing it and succeeding. It really is that simple.

Hey, OP, what about this response? Why not acknowledge this one, too? It is neither rude nor judgemental.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. I am a busy Woman with a career and Family. Boy how I wish I didn't have a life or any friends so I could spend all day of MFP looking for different ways to be a *kitten* rag!
    If you Google the 17 Day Diet you will get an overview of the 4 cycles of the 17 day diet,which has very few restrictions outside of No Booze
    no processed foods
    no refined carbs.
    Pretty much identical to the diet Diabetics have to follow. By the time you are in the 4th cycle you can eat whatever you like in moderation.

Very few restrictions, huh? lol.
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member

no processed foods
    no refined carbs.

Perhaps if you spent more time reading the experienced advice from others, you could spend more time with your career and family that clearly the rest of the internet does not have, after spending some of their time trying to help you out, after your question.

But, oh, right, you are too busy for all that. See you back in 21 days after you regain the weight (hopefully not.. but. Just sayin)
  • reality_girl
    reality_girl Posts: 165 Member
    IXUO5zJ.gif

this is mesmerizing
  • DANCHAN1
    DANCHAN1 Posts: 113 Member
    My daughter had great success. She found it easy to follow, there were no limits on the protein and veggies she could eat. She lost it quickly and has maintained for over a year. I on the other hand found it too restrictive I kept going off and going back on.

I am a firm believer that we are all different and all have great success with different plans. I say whatever works for you do it.
  • found this on google - http://caloriecount.about.com/17-day-diet-b487463
    Hope it helps
  • allen_ac
    allen_ac Posts: 64 Member
    Hey listen, don't worry about the guys who are giving you crap

I'll put it on a lighter note what message they are trying to convey
    Basically, It is not worth doing a 'diet' , even more so a 17 day diet

The idea when losing weight is to change your life, to change the way you do things now
    The shorter the period you set for a goal, the shorter the results will stay in other words

So if you do a 17 diet, even with success, don't expect anything much from it unless you keep it up for a long long time
    I mean, if you don't change your lifestyle, eventually you will go back to where you started and that's not what you want right?

Plus, extreme diets like these aren't exactly good for your health even if you're not hungry, there's not enough calories to provide the nutrients your body needs to function efficiently

Be smart with choices you make, speed does not mean quality
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    I love how the majority of people on here are sooo judegemental when the majority got here because they got tired of trying these wonderful fad diets :laugh: good grief. :huh:

I thought the majority of people are on here to maintain their weight, or lose due to eating at a surplus than a deficit...so jude ye not :huh:
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    A very close friend of mine has used the 17 day and has had great success. It's not really a 17 day thing, it has different cycles to it, where you are eating clean healthy food. You go through the cycles and continue on for however long you like. She took the success from the 17 day cycles and went to into a steady clean eating on her own. She has lost about 50lbs and looks great.

Thank you for your kind response.:smile: 50 pounds is amazing! I just need to lose 30 and was hoping the cycles would help me reprogram my eating habits.

So you took the ONE response in favor of this diet and are running with it?

Good luck to you

I was thanking the one person that wasn't a rude judgmental jerk.

I thinkg that it wasnt intentionally to be a jerk OP, they just want you to realize that what you are already doing via your tickler is working so why try something that may not work. Just continue to lose as you are already doing..:wink:
  • A very close friend of mine has used the 17 day and has had great success. It's not really a 17 day thing, it has different cycles to it, where you are eating clean healthy food. You go through the cycles and continue on for however long you like. She took the success from the 17 day cycles and went to into a steady clean eating on her own. She has lost about 50lbs and looks great.

Thank you for your kind response.:smile: 50 pounds is amazing! I just need to lose 30 and was hoping the cycles would help me reprogram my eating habits.

Good luck to you

So you come to a forum, ask a question that has been asked probably 385767 times, and when people tell you that you shouldnt do the diet because it will not work, you call them judgemental jerks??? Just because they arent giving you glowing reviews of some fad diet that you wont be able to maintain for life, doesnt make them judgemental. basically you have 2 choices- listen to the people trying to help you out before you waste your time on a diet that wont work (because diets do work) OR you can ignore them and do the diet anyway. Good luck to you, but im sure you will be back in a few months trying to find out about some other fad diet to give you quick results instead of working hard for the body you want.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    A very close friend of mine has used the 17 day and has had great success. It's not really a 17 day thing, it has different cycles to it, where you are eating clean healthy food. You go through the cycles and continue on for however long you like. She took the success from the 17 day cycles and went to into a steady clean eating on her own. She has lost about 50lbs and looks great.

Good luck to you

So you come to a forum, ask a question that has been asked probably 385767 times, and when people tell you that you shouldnt do the diet because it will not work, you call them judgemental jerks??? Just because they arent giving you glowing reviews of some fad diet that you wont be able to maintain for life, doesnt make them judgemental. basically you have 2 choices- listen to the people trying to help you out before you waste your time on a diet that wont work (because diets do work) OR you can ignore them and do the diet anyway. Good luck to you, but im sure you will be back in a few months trying to find out about some other fad diet to give you quick results instead of working hard for the body you want.
    I think previous person meant to day (because diets DON'T work)....but yeah, this.
    And as someone else pointed out, what you are currently doing appears to be working, the ticker is dropping...why try the fad diet thing?
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    She did say she wasn't internet savvy, so to harp about her not using the search function is a little silly. People come in here asking the same questions over and and over again. Just ignore them if it gets under your skin that much.

That said, OP, If you take anything from any of these posts, please take the advice to just do a calorie deficit, and workout. These things are much more sustainable. When you stop doing whatever diet you're doing, you will likely regain the weight. That is counterproductive :(

Unless you are able to continue doing it for the rest of your life, I would not consider any type of new/fad diet. They just end up putting people back where they were, + weight gain.

Good luck
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

Exactly!!! You know the answer to why this hasn't been responded to...

I wasn't going to comment but I will now.

From January 7th until April 15th I followed the "17 day diet book". I lost 30lbs and have kept it off...started at 205, joined mfp at 178...I have not gained the weight back. ETA:I did not join MFP to count calories I joined for a 30DS group, liked it and stayed.

Is it restrictive? A bit yes in the first couple of cycles. Is it sustainable yes because the 3rd and 4th cycles are not restrictive at all. As a matter of fact they encourage in the 4th cycle to eat reasonable portions of foods and treat yourself to your favorite meals...at least 4 a week. Be it KFC, pancakes or nachos...but continue exercising etc.

This "diet" is not 17 days it runs in 17 day cycles. It runs in 4 cycles.

And Yes I know people are going to say..."then why are you here if it works so well????" I came here to join a group that was doing JM 30DS and stayed...Do I follow the "17day diet" still..not on purpose but yes I do. Lots of protien, Lots of veggies, complex carbs and I don't call food bad and still eat my treats like lindt chocolate etc.

What I found this eating plan does is gives a boost, it shows what good nutrition and exercise can do for you.

Keep in mind during the first 2 phases they say only do 20mins of exercise because they know the food you are eating will not sustain more.....and it is a good way to build up to more exercise.

Do I recommend it? If you need that boost or a plan to follow yes I do. If you only have 10lbs to lose no I do not. 50+lbs absolutely...

Is it sustainable? Yes as much as counting calories is

Will I do it again...nope I don't need to...I have kept the weight off and still losing following the 4th cycle and counting calories and weight lifting.

Losing weight is easy, keeping it off means educating yourself and maintaining calories...

I know these forums are filled with folks who see the word "diet" and immediately put their blinders on without actually checking it out, some of those people I consider very smart, educated and admire them (except on this one point).

Education requires broadening your knowledge and exploring not just assuming....

that being said to the OP I would suggest finding the 17day diet group as they swap recipes. Take this advice tho.

Do this eating plan and if you like the results do it again...the 2nd time you lose less weight. I would however recommend after the first run through follow phase 3/4 and count calories.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member

Thank you so much

Exactly!!! You know the answer to why this hasn't been responded to...

I wasn't going to comment but I will now.

From January 7th until April 15th I followed the "17 day diet book". I lost 30lbs and have kept it off...started at 205, joined mfp at 178...I have not gained the weight back. ETA:I did not join MFP to count calories I joined for a 30DS group, liked it and stayed.

Is it restrictive? A bit yes in the first couple of cycles. Is it sustainable yes because the 3rd and 4th cycles are not restrictive at all. As a matter of fact they encourage in the 4th cycle to eat reasonable portions of foods and treat yourself to your favorite meals...at least 4 a week. Be it KFC, pancakes or nachos...but continue exercising etc.

This "diet" is not 17 days it runs in 17 day cycles. It runs in 4 cycles.

And Yes I know people are going to say..."then why are you here if it works so well????" I came here to join a group that was doing JM 30DS and stayed...Do I follow the "17day diet" still..not on purpose but yes I do. Lots of protien, Lots of veggies, complex carbs and I don't call food bad and still eat my treats like lindt chocolate etc.

What I found this eating plan does is gives a boost, it shows what good nutrition and exercise can do for you.

Keep in mind during the first 2 phases they say only do 20mins of exercise because they know the food you are eating will not sustain more.....and it is a good way to build up to more exercise.

Do I recommend it? If you need that boost or a plan to follow yes I do. If you only have 10lbs to lose no I do not. 50+lbs absolutely...

Is it sustainable? Yes as much as counting calories is

Will I do it again...nope I don't need to...I have kept the weight off and still losing following the 4th cycle and counting calories and weight lifting.

Losing weight is easy, keeping it off means educating yourself and maintaining calories...

I know these forums are filled with folks who see the word "diet" and immediately put their blinders on without actually checking it out, some of those people I consider very smart, educated and admire them (except on this one point).

Education requires broadening your knowledge and exploring not just assuming....

that being said to the OP I would suggest finding the 17day diet group as they swap recipes. Take this advice tho.

Do this eating plan and if you like the results do it again...the 2nd time you lose less weight. I would however recommend after the first run through follow phase 3/4 and count calories.

thank you so much! I lost quite a bit on my own but hit a wall and gave it all back by eating cookies and bread. I feel pretty good on this diet and know that I will have no problem hitting my 1200 calories I can add back in my precious beans. Lol congratulations and keep up all of the hard work!
  • skorenfeld123
    skorenfeld123 Posts: 27 Member
    Finally someone gives a reply that doesn't necessarily sing its praises and isn't a huge jerk about reality. Good luck, OP and everyone else, with what works for YOU.