5:2 fast question :)

Options
2»

Replies

• chatogal
    chatogal Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    For those who are doing the 5:2, do you exercise normally (heavy or light) on those days.

I was thinking of allocating myself 1000 for the day, then subtract 500 calories for my exercise, leaving with only eating 500 for the day. Guess this looks like cheating.

Actually on your 2 "fast" days you are NOT meant to eat back your exercise calories. The recommendation is about 500 calories for women and 600 for men. The other 5 days should be at maintenance. This is very generalised advice. Read Mosely's book for more specifics :-)
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    For those who are doing the 5:2, do you exercise normally (heavy or light) on those days.

I was thinking of allocating myself 1000 for the day, then subtract 500 calories for my exercise, leaving with only eating 500 for the day. Guess this looks like cheating.

That would be a low day. But probably deprive you of some of the other health benefits of reducing your cal intake to 1/4 TDEE regularly. I exercise regularly on fast days - cardio and strength (30-75min). It's usually not a problem. If I do get really hungry in the evening, I allow myself an extra 50-100cals.

If you have problems - you can either ease into the fast days by starting at 1000 and slowly reducing to 500 or you can reduce your exercise on fast days at the beginning and then increast the intensity, when you feel comfortable with it.

Do what works for you.
  • Lillyloooo
    Lillyloooo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    5:2 fasters here xxxx
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Lookin for 5:2 peeps
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    You are doing fasting wrong. Fasting means taking a break from eating. Eating 500 calories isn't a break!
    You're meant to eat 500 calories at the end of the fast.

eg. fast 7pm - 7pm , eat dinner (500 calories)
  • beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You are doing fasting wrong. Fasting means taking a break from eating. Eating 500 calories isn't a break!

Sorry, you're the one who's wrong here. The "Fast" on this diet is eating only 500 calories if you're a woman, 600 calories if you're a man, on 2 separate days in the week. Eat normally on the other days.
  • honkytonks85
    honkytonks85 Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Sorry, you're the one who's wrong here. The "Fast" on this diet is eating only 500 calories if you're a woman, 600 calories if you're a man, on 2 separate days in the week. Eat normally on the other days.

Then that is not a fast, that is just eating a very low calorie diet.

A fast means going without food. You don't get the benefits of fasting if you don't actually abstain for eating for a period of time longer than about 15 hours.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I don't follow this "plan" as I love food too much to go without it for two days. However, my boss has been doing it for about 3 weeks now. The way she explained it to me is on your fasting days you can eat 500 calories whenever throughout the day, and that she was choosing to eat a 250 calorie breakfast and a 250 calorie dinner. She likes to munch a lot at work, so I've noticed she's just been bringing in little containers of precut veggies to snack on during the day and then she eats dinner when she gets home. However, I've also noticed that she uses the other 5 days as an excuse to just eat junk. Those two days don't overrule the other 5 days. I wish there was a way to explain this to her, that she needs to still eat healthy, nutritious and whole foods when she isn't fasting. Any suggestions? Or should I just let her do her thing?