2200 calories a day

Options

Replies

• michail71
    michail71 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea...see below from MedicineNet.com...The recommended amount of protein daily for an adult male is only 56 grams, and excess amounts can lead to trouble:

The recommended amount of protein consumption is about 10%-35% of your daily calories. Adult women need, on average, 46 grams of protein a day, while adult men need about 56 grams. A 3-ounce portion of meat has about 21 grams of protein, and 8 ounces of yogurt has about 11 grams. One cup of dry beans contains about 16 grams of protein.

Consuming excess protein in the diet (over 35% of total calories), especially with carbohydrate restriction, can lead to the buildup of toxic ketones, substances made when the body uses its own fat cells for fuel in the absence of sufficient carbohydrates. Ketones can harm the kidneys as they try to excrete these substances. This is accompanied by a corresponding loss of water through the kidneys, leading to dehydration.

Need is not optimal. These numbers were originally derived for thin sedentary people with low muscle mass. Not people striving to be fit, strong and athletic. Also, I wouldn't be surprised if there was an agenda to match it up with the old style food pyramid. Which ultimately was created to help support the agricultural industry.
  • PtheronJr
    PtheronJr Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    There was a point where I got most of my sustenance from liquid meals.
    Then it turned out that I literally hadn't consumed a single gram of fiber for about a few weeks and had the most painful stomach cramping and indigestion I could describe for about a week after while I desperately tried to fix my diet.
    My excuse was that I was in highschool. What's yours?
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I could snack 2200 calories in a day haha Try walking down the crisp/bread/sweetie aisle ? Buy a recipe book? 16 protein shakes is going to get horribly boring..
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think you'd be very satisfied drinking your meals. Why don't you eat more calorie dense foods? And 480 g of protein???

Been eating chicken and broccoli for like a year. So sick of it.

No sh-t!

Novel idea: eat real food? Food you enjoy? Different kinds of food with ... flavor? Dude, you don't have to eat chicken and broccoli and sweetbrotatoes all day erry day to meet your goals. I'm not sure whether you're bulking or cutting - actually it makes no difference. Hit your protein macro (1 g/lb bw) and get some fat in there (that'll easily help you get you calorie target) and then fill the rest with whatever you like. If you enjoy shakes, sure, have a shake or two, but for the love of pete, eat something! Don't forget you also need fiber and micronutrients - fruits and veg and grains etc.

FWIW, I'm a 135 lb female and I'm currently taking in 2650/day (bulking) and manage to get 150g protein pretty much every day, usually with no protein supplement. There's no reason you can't hit 2200. Check my diary if you want some ideas.

This! From a wise woman, who I assumed was a man with not so bulky arms :P

I eat over 2200 most days, even losing fat, and have no problems fitting in 190g protein, nearly all from food plus my other macros to meet my targets. You need more fat,more carbs possibly depending on your goals...
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Troll. I would just leave this alone.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think you'd be very satisfied drinking your meals. Why don't you eat more calorie dense foods? And 480 g of protein???

No sh-t!

Novel idea: eat real food? Food you enjoy? Different kinds of food with ... flavor? Dude, you don't have to eat chicken and broccoli and sweetbrotatoes all day erry day to meet your goals. I'm not sure whether you're bulking or cutting - actually it makes no difference. Hit your protein macro (1 g/lb bw) and get some fat in there (that'll easily help you get you calorie target) and then fill the rest with whatever you like. If you enjoy shakes, sure, have a shake or two, but for the love of pete, eat something! Don't forget you also need fiber and micronutrients - fruits and veg and grains etc.

FWIW, I'm a 135 lb female and I'm currently taking in 2650/day (bulking) and manage to get 150g protein pretty much every day, usually with no protein supplement. There's no reason you can't hit 2200. Check my diary if you want some ideas.

I eat over 2200 most days, even losing fat, and have no problems fitting in 190g protein, nearly all from food plus my other macros to meet my targets. You need more fat,more carbs possibly depending on your goals...

Not gonna lie. A little sad that you don't think my arms are bulky. :brokenheart:
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Protein shake #9... 7 to go!

Das it mane

in for results. If Julieanne from big loser put her name on this diet it would be lauded as revolutionary.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

No sh-t!

Not gonna lie. A little sad that you don't think my arms are bulky. :brokenheart:

They have good muscle and shape...but not much thickness for a man :P and your back is way too feminine :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Options

How am I a troll? Because I think outside the box and I'm willing to take risks? I'm sorry I'm not a sheep like you. How many lbs have you lost? Oh... 0.

Outside the box? Take risks? Where? With what?
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

How am I a troll? Because I think outside the box and I'm willing to take risks? I'm sorry I'm not a sheep like you. How many lbs have you lost? Oh... 0.

I have lost 53 pounds. This is a new account. And you are lying. Have fun playing your game.
  • Billy323
    Billy323 Posts: 182 Member
    Options

I have lost 53 pounds. This is a new account. And you are lying. Have fun playing your game.

I just started a new account too. You can go back in time and put in your old weight if it matters to you. That's what I did.
  • wrk2hrd
    wrk2hrd Posts: 28
    Options
    If you haven't had a kidney stone yet, you're on your way

#gobig
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Not a good idea...see below from MedicineNet.com...The recommended amount of protein daily for an adult male is only 56 grams, and excess amounts can lead to trouble:

The recommended amount of protein consumption is about 10%-35% of your daily calories. Adult women need, on average, 46 grams of protein a day, while adult men need about 56 grams. A 3-ounce portion of meat has about 21 grams of protein, and 8 ounces of yogurt has about 11 grams. One cup of dry beans contains about 16 grams of protein.

Consuming excess protein in the diet (over 35% of total calories), especially with carbohydrate restriction, can lead to the buildup of toxic ketones, substances made when the body uses its own fat cells for fuel in the absence of sufficient carbohydrates. Ketones can harm the kidneys as they try to excrete these substances. This is accompanied by a corresponding loss of water through the kidneys, leading to dehydration.

46g? I eat twice that on a bad day.
  • nutellabrah
    Options
    OP I can't stand listening to your jargon anymore. The fact that you talk a lot of yap that you can not back up makes me believe that you do a lot of reading and not a lot of lifting. How Can you give advice to people without truly understanding what you are saying? The answer is you can't ..... You can not tell someone something without knowing if it works or not. You have no experience lifting. You hardly know anything. Everything you do know you read in a book or stole from someone else. You have no factual eveidence that it works. You just take advice from credible sources and post them as your own....As an aspiring personal trainer, who has actually spent time working in a gym, watching and criticizing and experimenting. Stop posting. You don't know what youre talking about. You know it too.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You should go look at my diary from last summer lol... my TDEE when I'm racing is, like 2600 and I have no problem eating it :laugh:

But yeah you have to find what you like. Don't eat the same thing every day. Look up new recipes or even just new simple ways to prepare things.

Try sliced up chicken on a pita with cheese melted on top. Tuna on crackers. Pan-fried zucchini in garlic. Cottage cheese with jam mixed in. Omelettes with anything and everything. Steak. Pork chops. Fish. Cauliflower, beans, carrots, corn, potatoes, squash. Are you limiting carbs? That would make 2200 more difficult but I can easily do 2200 with only about 150-200g carbs (which is limited for me as a runner lol).
  • taryn_09
    taryn_09 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    not a good idea. i do 2100 calories a day 2 shakes max (one before bed one post workout)
    calorie dense foods like mentioned would be your best bet
    healthy fats your nuts pb
    you can use mrs dash for seasonings so your chicken is so bland thats what helps me
    as for protein im hitting 160 ish a day and im a 5'5 girl @ 100 ibs gaining weight currently.

you wanna give your body the nutrients it needs from whole foods not processed shakes.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I will never understand how getting this calorie amount in is difficult. I'm supposed to be at 2345 a day as a woman and I'll regularly go over that because I LIKE FOOD, and I'm losing weight on that many calories, slowly, but still.... Sure, if my protein is low for any given day I'll supplement with ONE protein shake, of course, I'm also not trying to consume a rediculously unecessary amount of protein....

Seriously OP, why on earth are you trying to consume that much protein? What possible benefit do you think this will have? Eat other foods, carbs and fats are good for you too.