• TeamLeela
    TeamLeela Posts: 3,302
    Options
    bump
  • nam14uk
    nam14uk Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Leela I'm totally in with you.

People on here should respect you to for starting up and thread and sharing with people what you plan to do FOR YOURSELF and giving people the option, should they wish to partake, to join you.

I'm sure everyone on here has read in other threads about eating or not eating exercise calories. This challenge is for one week and if Leela and others want to see if they can do it for discipline and to see what difference it makes to THEM then I say more power to you. The debate will continue long after this week has passed by but Leela if you want to try this (and I'm right there with you) then let any neagtive or rather not so positive posts float by so that we can conentrate on the actual challenge rather than being bogged down with the debate that wasn't really invited in the first place. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but I think we can consider the discussion done and we can get on with the challenge itself.
  • kgs0201
    kgs0201 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    so Saturday is my weigh in day and I lost 2.2 lbs this week! Which means I'm really not expecting a huge loss next Saturday right before the competition ends but I am definitely going to stick with it and see what happens!!
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Let me know how it goes! I was under my exercise calories several times and MFP yelled at me for it. I don't want to stall my progress, but I am pretty desperate to lose the weight by June.

Shannon
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    Nam, thanks, I do have to ignore the negativity. I think the backlash is over! Thanks for supporting me and standing up for me!

Kristen, great job on the loss!

Shannon, thanks for the comment. good luck with your weight loss journey.

I can't wait for tomorrow!
  • tamgreg
    Options
    I'm willing to give it a try :). Willpower is my downfall! any suggestions on some good low cal dinners and lunches?
  • tamgreg
    Options
    Well thank you Jess! I totally agree with you! people don't put things on here to be put down. It's your choice if you want to do it or not, and if not, your totally right! keep the comments to yourself! :) Well said :)
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    Tam, salads make great low cal lunches and dinners. as long as you don't go overboard with the dressing! Good luck and thanks giving it a try. Losing weight is 80 per cent mental. So I'm trying to discipline myself and hopefully this will jumpstart my stagnant weight loss.
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Im TOTALLY late but i love this challenge and I am in...Exercise calories for me are just an excuse to keep eating...Im 303 lbs...so my caloric daily is 1750 calories that is plenty...then i burn about 1000 cals per day...for me to eat 1750 +1000 cals per day is insane to me...im not that hungry. even with eating almonds beans rice fruits veggies nuts etc i cant eat 2750 a day. Im going to have my partner lock up my scale so I cant get on and stay at 1750 for the week. I love your POSITIVE challenge. If you dont like the challenge you totally dont have to do it...Everyone takes different roads to weight loss...u take your road and let others take theres...ONE GOAL! thats whats important...If i went to my doctor today for weight loss ...he wouldn't tell me to eat 2750 calories a day...im just sayin...All in love...
  • TeamLeela
    Options
    Diva, You're not late! You're still early. The challenge doesn't officially kick off until tomorrow. I just wanted to put it out there early enough for anyone interested. Thanks for stopping by. Maybe this will be the week you break 300! I would love to be a part of that milestone with you. Great job on the 16 pounds lost already!

MrsKelsey, thanks for checking in and for the positive comments. I appreciate you stopping by to see how things are going, even if you don't choose to participate in the challenge yourself. I really hope it goes well. Even if its a half pound more than I usually lose, I'll be happy. I'll keep you posted.

Overall I just feel like eat some of them if you're hungry, but don't eat just to eat, what sense does that make when you're trying to lose weight. I want to see if I can control my hungry and appetite and not lean on my exercise calories as a crutch when I want to eat something, or have already eaten something that's not healthy.
  • mrskelsey24
    mrskelsey24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Well Debbie downer!!! It's self motivation and gratification and something she and apparently a lot of other people are willing to try for themselves. Not some scientific experiment as to where she will publish a book on the matter. Do you find pleasure in crushing peoples goals? If so, just don't comment and get out of here.

Wow, way to totally misunderstand what I said there. If the point of the experiment is to end the debate on eating/not-eating exercise cals, as the OP explicitly stated as one of the goals, it will not do that. Different things work for different people, so what works for some won't work for all. Plus, doing something for a week is not enough time. Maybe not eating the exercise cals back WILL help you to lose more, for that one week, but maybe if you did over the course of a few months your body would react negatively because you are putting it into starvation mode. You'll lose weight if you don't eat anything for a week, either, but that doesn't mean it is healthy for you to do that or the right way to lose weight! If you continued to do that, you would GAIN weight not lose it.

I don't think anyone misunderstood you. You were totally a debbie downer! And if I were the OP I would have taken it as an attack. Maybe just word things a bit differently?

You go Leela! I agree that you shouldn't eat your exercise calories. I mean you WANT your body to use up those stored calories (the fat). I look forward to seeing your results!!!
  • Stewie316
    Stewie316 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to say goodluck and I'll be rooting for you. I already go by the rule of not eating my exercise calories. The only day that I eat them is Saturday and sometimes Sunday.

Starvation mode is way overblown. You're not going to go into starvation mode unless you're dramatically decreasing your calorie intake for a long period of time and by dramatic I mean around 50% of bmr. To me, eating exercise calories is counterproductive and doesn't work for everyone. Unless you're an athlete, it doesn't matter what calories you burn by exercise, since you burn calories all day long. When you exercise, you are just adding 30 minutes of burning calories faster than usual. What's the difference of doing 30 minutes of walking vs. 30 minutes of cleaning the house?
  • shawnalmil
    Options
    ME TOO!!!
    i need to start logging everything i eat anyway!
  • HazelDiva1913
    HazelDiva1913 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    girl if i could break 300 this week i will do a happy dance
  • SkierElle
    Options
    I'll do it!! mainly because I need to get better about logging stuff.

It will be difficult since I have 3 lunch/dinner "dates" planned, but that will be good since I'll order something healthy from the restaurants.

if you are worried about the starvation mode. Go one week without eating the exercise cals. then the second week eat them, and third week don't. on and on. I wonder what would happen? I think I'm going to try that.
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I heard it's bad not to eat your exercise cals as it could cause your body to go into starvation mode and make it harder to lose weight.

I agree with you...I'm allowed 1300 calories daily and on days when I run 5-6 miles I do eat some of my exercise calories but never all of them!!! Your body needs the food to help refuel it...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Since everyone is different, as far as I'm concerned, there is no "debate" on whether to eat exercise calories. Some people can and some can't and two people will have very different results even doing exactly the same thing.

And, personally, I would STARVE if I didn't eat at least some of my exercise calories back, especially on days I burn 1,000 or more.
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I heard it's bad not to eat your exercise cals as it could cause your body to go into starvation mode and make it harder to lose weight.

I agree with you...I'm allowed 1300 calories daily and on days when I run 5-6 miles I do eat some of my exercise calories but never all of them!!! Your body needs the food to help refuel it...

OK.....so I didn't read ALL the posts above mine...SHOULD have...I am NOT trying to restart any of the negativeness...I do log all of my food everyday and have just recently made my diary public I figured why should I keep it to myself??? As far as any research it has all been online nothing medical so now I find it interesting that some of you have found actual medical or nutrtitional experts that have said it is ok to not eat your exercise calories...Personally for me I am hungrier after a longer run and I do eat back some of my calories-but it is normally with a banana or some kind of protien which is what I crave...I think you should listen to your body and do what works as long as it is in a healthy manner!

I am close to my goal (.5 pounds) and am actually scared to death to maintain...I will go from 1300 calories to a whopping 1800 calories-that just frightens me!!! I haven't eaten that many calories in over 8 months!!!!

I do plan on checking in with all of you to see how this challenge goes...GOOD LUCK to everyone!!!!!
  • judyscrivner
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I have had a good weight loss since Aug. - 20 lbs. Recently, I have had trouble losing. Don't think it's because I'm in starvation mode.....think I've hit a plateau. If I had to eat all those calories, diet & exercise, I would be defeating my purpose. I have tried to drink more water this week. :heart:
  • kgaylord
    Options
    I'm in! I already weigh in on Mondays. There are some days that I eat my 1200 calories plus either some or all of my exercise calories. So, I will try this for a week to see if it will help me loose a little more. Currently I lost 2.2 in a week. I'm assuming we should check back next week?