The thread killer, or ignored question...

Options

Replies

• skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    <<<<> even weighs prepackaged food.

Because often it is wrong
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    My daughter has watched me weigh and measure and log my food for two years. She eats her foods and I eat mine. She can tell you the calories in certain parts of her school lunch. Awareness of portion control is not my forte. Thus the scale. She can do it at 9. Hopefully she has learned something that can help her avoid my issues .
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Yep! Well, most of them. I haven't weighed my quest bars. Maybe I should. Forget yogurts though... too much a pain.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    just remember what works for you now.. might not work for you two weeks from now.. the body is funny sometimes.. right now i only weigh my nuts, but if what i am doing stopped working.. i would reevaluate and try something different.. its about what works for you..
    Never had this happen, but then I have also been consistent in my technique the whole time.
  • wildbill64
    wildbill64 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I try to measure what I eat 85% of the time. I admit there are some days where I just say "f--k it" and get back on tack the next day. It happens.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that every time you ask 'do you weigh all your food?', you suddenly turn into a ghost that nobody seems to notice?

I have only been with MFp for nine month now and even I know that there are hundreds of threads on the subject ( on almost any subject, really ) and I no longer respond. I have gotten a bit tired of having to wade through all the BS, the untrue information that the same people post over and over again, or having to defend what is nothing but common sense. I also feel that I don't want to do the work for people who are too lazy to do a simple search themselves.
    I have tried over the last months to be as helpful and respectful as I can possibly be, but honestly have gotten tired of the same old stuff and the same old crap ( as far as answers to questions are concerned ) posted by people who know very little, but seem to have a lot of time on their hands and believe that they know it all.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Think weighing and eyeballing is a good way to be accountable for portion control.

Eyeballing is what gets most people in trouble.

I was going to say the same thing...
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    The list of questions I post at the start of any "why am I not losing" thread routinely goes unanswered. I'm noot trying to question the poster's honesty or insist they must weight their food (also lost the bulk of my weight without a food scale), but some kind of baseline has to be established before anyone can give useful advice. Especially when the poster has a closed diary and doesn't mention anything but "I'm eating healthy and go to the gym, what's wrong?"
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that every time you ask 'do you weigh all your food?', you suddenly turn into a ghost that nobody seems to notice?

I have only been with MFp for nine month now and even I know that there are hundreds of threads on the subject ( on almost any subject, really ) and I no longer respond. I have gotten a bit tired of having to wade through all the BS, the untrue information that the same people post over and over again, or having to defend what is nothing but common sense. I also feel that I don't want to do the work for people who are too lazy to do a simple search themselves.
    I have tried over the last months to be as helpful and respectful as I can possibly be, but honestly have gotten tired of the same old stuff and the same old crap ( as far as answers to questions are concerned ) posted by people who know very little, but seem to have a lot of time on their hands and believe that they know it all.

Well, not everyone is cut out to help people or have the tools to dole out legitimate advice. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food. My small children are always around, and I worry that watching me maniacally weighing every morsel I eat could have a negative effect on them. I very much want them to have a healthy relationship with food.
    So far just eyeballing hasn't negatively affected my weight loss efforts.

so teaching them about counting calories and how many calories are in certain foods would be a bad thing? *facepalm*
  • jennycina93
    jennycina93 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I live at college for most of the year. Unfortunately there is no good way to carry a scale around with me and then bring it to a dining hall. When I am home, I weigh my food though.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Another thing I've noticed. A package will say Number of Servings: 2, but the net weight vs. serving size shows it's actually 2.2 or something like that. Not a huge difference, but can add up.
  • PhoenixStrikes
    PhoenixStrikes Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Food scales are too inexpensive for people who are trying to lose weight not to use them. At that point it becomes more about laziness than anything else.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh my food. My small children are always around, and I worry that watching me maniacally weighing every morsel I eat could have a negative effect on them. I very much want them to have a healthy relationship with food.
    So far just eyeballing hasn't negatively affected my weight loss efforts.

I disagree that using a food scale is the same as an unhealthy relationship with food.

^^^ this.
    This again. Me and food get along great. I enjoy eating. But with small difference making a difference between maintenance and a 10% cut/bulk, accuracy is helpful.
  • enigrebua
    enigrebua Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I don't weight out food but I do use small plates and bowls with portions/markers/measures on them to aid proportioning a balanced dinner, or keeping thinks like cereal on the smaller side. The only time I weigh food is when I'm baking. I'm too lazy to do it all the time hehe.
  • melzie98
    melzie98 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh/measure all of my food. But maybe weighing everything will help me bust this plateau. I think over time, as we eyeball portion sizes, they tend to get bigger.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

I'd make the observation that it's one of those questions that's generally asked with no consideration of the situation of the questioner, or their goals. Similar responses are "LIFT HEAVY!!!" and "do insanity (or similar DVD programme)..."

I've yet to see anyone ask "is it practical for you to weigh/ measure".

What I've also noted is that people become very judgemental about it, again regardless of the situation of someone who's not weighing/ measuring everything.

When this happened to me several months ago I posted a bit of a rant about a number of clear indicators that my fitness was improving, but weight wasn't going down. Then least helpful response was just that question. What the thread prompted was some thought about what I was wanting to achieve and I realised that actually weight per se was the least important aspect. Outcomes for me have been:

I've retired two suits that are now far too big for me in the waist.
    Furthest I've run in a single session is 14Km
    I can run 10Km in just over an hour
    I did a PB for the 5K of 28 minutes this week
    My resting heart rate has reduced by 20bpm
    My blood pressure has reduced
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Not always, but I think you are right that this question is a bit taboo. :smile: Bottom line, weighting your food is the backbone of accurate calorie counting.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    I weigh my food after I eat it. If my food starts to weigh too much, I eat less. **

I also somewhat agree that it's important to ensure accuracy in calorie intake as much as is practical/possible but this whole game is pretty inaccurate and we're fooling ourselves if we think we can measure intake or output with a high degree of accuracy.

** By which I mean I weigh myself. Not, you know...
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Food scales are too inexpensive for people who are trying to lose weight not to use them. At that point it becomes more about laziness than anything else.

I would have to disagree with this. I am a mom of 7 children. I have lost the weight after each of them and never with the use of a food scale. It isn't a matter of laziness, but of reality. If I am going to get 7 children fed, I don't have time to measure out and weigh each item I am eating and then record it, etc. I do use a measuring cup for pasta which I love, but most things I give a close guess and err on the side of caution. If you use a food scale and it has helped you then great, but that doesn't mean everyone who doesn't do what you do is lazy. :flowerforyou: