Real appetite suppressant supplement?

Options

Replies

• ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options

To legitimately control my appetite, I use.....FOOD. :tongue: And no, feeling hungry doesn't have to be "part of the deal" when trying to lose weight. Unless of course it's time for dinner. Haha.

If you are eating the right amount of calories and getting proper amounts of protein, fats, fiber & water (carbs too!), there's no reason to feel hungry between meals and healthy snacks, or to go to bed hungry.

Enter your info and goals accurately and realistically into MFP - meaning if you don't have a lot to lose, say 20-25lbs, don't set your goal to lose 2lbs a week - that's too aggressive, and your calorie goal will automatically be set to the ubiquitous 1200 a day, which is honestly too low for most of us. So .5 or 1 lb a week goal is better in many cases, which will give you a higher, calorie goal.

Also keep in mind that MFP is set up with at daily goal already at a deficit - meaning eat to your goal every day, all the calories, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. If you do exercise, log the cals burned as accurately as possible, and eat those cals back - there's a reason MFP adds them back into your goal. Not doing so creates a much larger deficit, which is no good. Your daily NET cals should be at or near goal at the end of the day.

So watch your cals, but mind your macros as well - don't skimp on proteins and healthy fats, both of which are very satiating, making us feel full and satisfied longer. Skip the non-fat stuff, snack on nuts and seeds, nut butters, avocados, use olive and coconut oils, etc - these will give you good cals and healthy fats in small portions. Eat lean proteins - chicken, lean beef and pork, fish, eggs, cheeses, beans - good stuff.

Food is fuel! Eat the good stuff in proper amounts, weight/fat comes off, no need for suppressants or feeling hungry all the time. :smile:

Good luck!

/thread
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    OP, I implore you to listen to the people suggesting that you use food to control your appetite. Otherwise you really are just another person looking for the easy way out.
    This.

Op, I control hunger by eating smaller meals more often. Healthy snacks with protein and or fat between breakfast, lunch, dinner: nuts, greek yogurt, banana, piece whole wheat toast with almond butter, apple and peanut butter, or other foods that are filing. If it doesn't work for your to eat smaller meals more often, then add the protein and fats to your meals.

No pills, please.
  • kamakazeekim
    kamakazeekim Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    A prescription for phentermine is your best bet.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    When I stopped smoking I very well could have eaten my own arm if left to my own devices long enough.

I took bee pollen and it worked for me, it is a superfood, it is natural and as long as you are not allergic to bees, it is not harmful to you like prescriptions and other chemicals are.

Please stay away from phentermine........
  • cindyanne29
    cindyanne29 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I like the 100 calorie almond and walnut pouches.
  • stephaaniemarie
    stephaaniemarie Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey, I was taking PGX supplements (maybe you've seen the commercials). I found they really helped me cut back on snacking, and balanced my blood sugar so I felt less crazy. I don't take them anymore, but I do feel they helped me learn to adjust to smaller portion sizes.

They're not a diet pill or anything dangerous, they're like a fibre pill that expands in your stomach to help keep you full. You do have to drink a tonne of water with them, though (that also probably contributes to the fullness).

55392470.png
  • mikeroybal
    mikeroybal Posts: 111 Member
    Options

Check with your Doctor first. Mine gave me a prescription and did reduce my appetite. However I started to wonder what I was going to do once I stopped taking it. I recently stopped and while I have managed to stay in my caloric goals it was more of a challenge. I don't know how difficult it would have been if I had been on it for a longer period of time.
    That said everybody reacts differently to medications. If you want it discuss it with your Doctor, you might not qualify for it based on your BMI, or other medical conditions.
    Try what others have suggested and eat food. I like a kale salad with some granny smith apple and some left over roasted chicken. The fiber content really holds me over. also look up overnight oatmeal. I love it. it is great before my morning work out and having an apple as a snack latter easily holds me until lunch
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Sigh. :noway:

My feelings exactly. OP is not looking for a miracle pill.......while looking for a miracle pill.
  • Olblueiiii
    Olblueiiii Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    As several people have already mentioned, Eat fewer carbs and more fat. I used to have horrible cravings that would cause me to binge and sabotage my weight loss efforts. But, since I've been eating Low Carb/High Fat, not only do I no longer have cravings, I now have to remind myself that, even though I'm not hungry, I should probably eat something.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Ephedrine....about the only legit legal pill I know.
    not legal in the us.

Ephedrine+caffein = hunnnggg!

Absolutely legal I'm the US. You can go to any Walgreens or Rite-Aid right now and get it. You have to ask for it from behind the prescription counter though and show ID. Meth heads use it to cook so they track IDs to make sure you are not buying huge amounts.

But yeah, as with anything you need to research ad understand what your putting in your body before you start popping ****.
  • thatgorsuchkid
    Options
    Hey y'all, please don't dismiss this as someone else hoping for justification for being a sucker looking for a "miracle pill."

I am wondering if there is any supplement I can take that will legitimately help control my appetite. I'm NOT looking for a miracle pill that will let me eat junk and still lose weight :P I am giving it my best shot, controlling what I eat, when, and how much ... But I seriously get intensely hungry between meals. I get that feeling hungry is part of the deal, but was wondering if there's anything I can take that will make this a bit easier.

Ace is the only thing that I have tried that actually suppresses appetite. I have tried sooo many things, and this is literally the only thing that works. Only problem is, I can only take it every couple of days, because I find my self going all day without eating or drinking a thing. It gives you energy and it constantly feels like you ate a small meal.
  • prefabsey
    prefabsey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    As several people have already mentioned, Eat fewer carbs and more fat. I used to have horrible cravings that would cause me to binge and sabotage my weight loss efforts. But, since I've been eating Low Carb/High Fat, not only do I no longer have cravings, I now have to remind myself that, even though I'm not hungry, I should probably eat something.

Exactly this! When I have sufficient fat intake while minimizing carbs, I feel so satisfied for longer periods of time. If not for external reminders in my day, I might easily 'forget' to eat. If you constantly feel hungry, realize that this doesn't have to be "part of the deal" for weight loss or nutrition. Many people have supported a low fat high carb diet, but more recently many are beginning to realize the value of high fat and low carb.

Check out the website Mark's Daily Apple, especially this page: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/high-fat-diet-healthy-safe/#axzz2q8DTwhJi
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    The eating more advice is good if the OP is currently undereating and we're talking about "real" hunger and not just cravings, emotional eating, etc. I think most people tend to confuse these things, and so simply saying "eat more" may not be the right advice.

I do agree though that your macronutrient intake can help determine how satiated you feel. You're much more likely to feel full after eating some chicken breast and vegetables than after eating a bowl of ice cream. I definitely don't think you need to resort to drugs in order to lose weight. You're better off learning how to do it on your own.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if there is any supplement I can take that will legitimately help control my appetite. I'm NOT looking for a miracle pill that will let me eat junk and still lose weight

What you're asking for is just as magical.

You have free will and the ability to make choices - use them!
  • goalcat30
    Options
    check your protein intake, if you are getting enough you shouldn't be hungry, I have the problem with picking at food, drink plenty of water if snacking I was told.
  • egeurin
    egeurin Posts: 10
    Options
    To the three or four people being ugly? Congrats, you've made me never want to come back to MFP boards to ask questions ever again.

Thanks to everyone else for your wonderful advice. I don't think I'm getting enough protein, so I'm going to adjust that and see what happens... I'm not shooting for fast weight loss, I'd be happy with 0.5-1 lb/week as long as it stayed off.

I guess I assumed I was still feeling hungry and having a hard time controlling how much I eat because I'm coming from a place where I used to snack all the time (Basically, I was pregnant in 2012 and gave into all my cravings, then I spent 8 months of 2013 with a baby that NEVER slept more than 1 hour at a time, plus I was taking classes, plus working full time... wasn't about to add diet change stress to the mix)... I guess I thought I was feeling "hungry" out of habit, so I thought an appetite suppressant would help me.

Anyways, thanks again for all the advice y'all! Good luck to everyone :)
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    I use Synedrex made by Metabolic Nutrition. Been taking it for 3 months now and it really helps control appetite and provide energy.
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat plenty if fat. Fat in my diet provides satiety and stops me from overeating.

Absolutely this. Don't be afraid to eat luscious fat.
  • OMGeeeHorses
    OMGeeeHorses Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Water helps suppress my cravings for the need to FEED :) LOL

When I feel hungry, I make sure to drink about 2 glasses of water and see if it was thirst or truly hunger at the moment that was needed.