ETAM: LOL.

I hate when that happens
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Nice, harveler.

Huh? Did I miss something?

ETA: Oh, is a post now missing?

lmao...did the charming young man just call the people who were arguing against his context lacking, cherry picked, and 'not on point' studies fat?

Good debating skills there!

You forgot to add that everyone was ignoring the overwhelming evidence??
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Nice, harveler.

lmao...did the charming young man just call the people who were arguing against his context lacking, cherry picked, and 'not on point' studies fat?

Well I spent 20 minutes reviewing the literature that he linked, and found that it was time wasted. I summarized the reasons why the papers were irrelevant.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Nice, harveler.

What overwhelming evidence?
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    Nice, harveler.

Well I spent 20 minutes reviewing the literature that he linked, and found that it was time wasted. I summarized the reasons why the papers were irrelevant. I guess the next substantive reply that harveler had in his arsenal of evidence was to call everyone a fat m-f-er.

Unfortunately this "sugar is bad" "hidden sugar" is a steamroller that will continue to plough on and on in the same way that the one demonising fats did

That one lead to the belief that everything healthy had to be low fat, as an example I have two cans of minestrone soup in the cupboard, both by the same manufacturer. One is in the favourites range and one in the healthy range. When you read the label the healthy has marginally lower fat and saturated fat with higher sugar, salt and overall calories (all the differences are marginal) Oh and the pasta is wholewheat as well.

So in a couple of years does this healthy range suddenly have higher fats and low sugar?
  • ChrisM8971
    Options
    Nice, harveler.

What overwhelming evidence?

Exactly
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The "sugar is bad" people are just a copy of the "fat is bad" people from 2 decades ago.

The smart educated people then knew fat wasn't some demon nutrient. ThwThw smart educated people today know sugar isn't a demon nutrient.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    The tide is changing these days in regards to sugar. The WHO is even considering cutting their recommended limit for added sugar in half from 10% to 5% -- surely there's some research available for them to consider it? I'll be interested to see just how much the sugar industry has influenced the perception/belief that sugar is harmless... and perhaps the research? Because sugar in the quantities we've been eating it is certainly harmful; I have no doubt about that.

Sugar industry's secret documents echo tobacco tactics
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/sugar-industry-s-secret-documents-echo-tobacco-tactics-1.1369231
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Well as long as you have no doubt it must be true!
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options
    I appreciate your faith in me. :flowerforyou:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The tide is changing these days in regards to sugar. The WHO is even considering cutting their recommended limit for added sugar in half from 10% to 5% -- surely there's some research available for them to consider it? I'll be interested to see just how much the sugar industry has influenced the perception/belief that sugar is harmless... and perhaps the research? Because sugar in the quantities we've been eating it is certainly harmful; I have no doubt about that.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/sugar-industry-s-secret-documents-echo-tobacco-tactics-1.1369231

Public health organizations are concerned with altering the intake of the population as a whole. If the WHO can influence companies and governments to include less sugar in fold, calorie intake might go down slightly and help fight obesity.

However, in the context of an individual controlling his calorie intake and accounting for the sugar calories it's completely irrelevant.
  • AlabasterVerve
    Options

Public health organizations are concerned with altering the intake of the population as a whole. If the WHO can influence companies and governments to include less sugar in fold, calorie intake might go down slightly and help fight obesity.

However, in the context of an individual controlling his calorie intake and accounting for the sugar calories it's completely irrelevant.
    So if sugar consumption goes down people will spontaneously eat less without counting calories? Cool.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I appreciate your faith in me. :flowerforyou:

As you should.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an apple tart with caramel ice cream calling my name.
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Umm... You DO know that just because something is published/printed doesn't scientifically validate it, right? And given the process of natural selection, today's wheat would differ from that of the previous century to some extent, even w/o mankind's deliberate tinkering. As for the sugar quote, you kinda proved the opposition's argument. An EXCESS of sugar is generally accepted to have harmful consequences - that one word makes all the difference. FWIW, I'll opine that the single largest food-related issue, beyond our propensity as a species for gluttony, is dependance on highly processed foods. The processing leads to excess sugar, salt, etc. It's ther curse of the modern Western lifestyle.....
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    'By the 18th century the marriage of sugar and slavery was complete. Every few years a new island—Puerto Rico, Trinidad—was colonized, cleared, and planted. When the natives died, the planters replaced them with African slaves. ' excerpt from the National Geographic article...interesting choice of words.

The natives didn't die they were killed and 'planters' did bring African slaves to those islands and countries. Ever hear of the Taino Indians? Most people haven't, they're no longer around, when they didn't work the Spanish murdered them in masse. But the part on sugar...quite accurate(yes, sarcasm).
    Ok, completely random side note, but I just read about the Taino indians this morning. Everyone assumes that the Spanish killed them all off, but many Jamaican sprinters have recently been genetically tested by people interested in why so many Jamaican sprinters are at the top of their class. Many of these sprinters have mitochondrial DNA that places them all from the same region of Jamaica. Decedents of the Marooners. These were some of the strongest slaves that escaped from the British while the British were trying to wrestle the island from the Spanish. (Strongest because the area they chose to inhabit was completely dependable because it was surrounded by sheer cliffs, but required a lot strength to gain access, plus they were able to fight off the British while vastly out numbered.)

Anyways, they pinpointed that about 10% of their DNA was from the Taino Indians, so while it was thought that they were completely wiped out by the Spanish, it is far more likely that some escaped to the more remote parts of the island and then began living with the Marooners.

This is my take away from the sugar post. Thank you for posting! Very informative! :smile:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Umm... You DO know that just because something is published/printed doesn't scientifically validate it, right? And given the process of natural selection, today's wheat would differ from that of the previous century to some extent, even w/o mankind's deliberate tinkering. As for the sugar quote, you kinda proved the opposition's argument. An EXCESS of sugar is generally accepted to have harmful consequences - that one word makes all the difference. FWIW, I'll opine that the single largest food-related issue, beyond our propensity as a species for gluttony, is dependance on highly processed foods. The processing leads to excess sugar, salt, etc. It's ther curse of the modern Western lifestyle.....

No the curse regardless of society, is the inability to not over consume Any Food regardless to whether it has sugar, salt, fat, etc... If you eat above you caloric intake you will gain weight..... Sugar is just today's whipping boy.......
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Fortunately, the "curse" can be completely negated by not consuming these foods...all foods...in excess. Tracking foods on a site like this is one way to control that.

ETA: Yeah, what Ed said.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Excess sugar DOES cause metabolic syndromes and problems not seen in excess consumption of other macronutrients. Do a little reading on leptin, ghrelin, and insulin. Sugar has a very specific effect on insulin which changes the body's ability and capacity to store fat, use fat, etc. Putting your hands over your ears as if you are personally offended by this little bit of biology is ridiculous...

No one's saying you're a bad person for eating ice cream. There is just more and more science able to back up the fact that sugar is, in fact, a catalyst for weight gain in both its psychological addictiveness and effects on the hormone systems of the human body.

BTW, when "excess sugar" is mentioned, they don't mean in excess of someone's caloric goals... DUH. It means in excess of what is a normal amount of sugar to consume incidentally, in milk and veggies and fruit etc - too much sugar *within* a caloric allowance.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Excess sugar DOES cause metabolic syndromes and problems not seen in excess consumption of other macronutrients. Do a little reading on leptin, ghrelin, and insulin. Sugar has a very specific effect on insulin which changes the body's ability and capacity to store fat, use fat, etc. Putting your hands over your ears as if you are personally offended by this little bit of biology is ridiculous...

No one's saying you're a bad person for eating ice cream. There is just more and more science able to back up the fact that sugar is, in fact, a catalyst for weight gain in both its psychological addictiveness and effects on the hormone systems of the human body.

BTW, when "excess sugar" is mentioned, they don't mean in excess of someone's caloric goals... DUH. It means in excess of what is a normal amount of sugar to consume incidentally, in milk and veggies and fruit etc - too much sugar *within* a caloric allowance.

Re insulin...have a read of this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/817143-insulin-low-carbs-gary-taubes-and-james-krieger
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options

I kno, rite? I hear it's the new tobacco.

Light the torches, grab the pitchforks!