Kettlebell Exercise

Options

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I use kettlebells too 8 and 12 kg :) squats deadlifts swings clean and press, Russian twists.lots of good apps for iPhone iPad out there
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Yes, but it certainly wasn't from messing about with little paperweights.

As HTimpaired said, but she forgot to add kettleworx and any 'class' where there's more than four of you to an instructor.

Here's a video of Reifkind with a very simple explanation of weight selection and the reason behind it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBVix24GKG0

For the people looking for a caloric burn and searching kettlebells, a kettlebell is a lump of metal, not an exercise. You don't search 'dumbbell' in the database and expect a caloric estimate do you?

Leading on from this point, it is just a lump of metal. You can do almost every kettlebell exercise using a dumbbell. They're really nothing magical, it's what you do with it.
    Same as you can give a large class of people tiny little bells, make them do a large number of dumbbell exercises, and tell them that they're doing 'kettlebells'.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I train with kettlebells daily, and have done so for the past year and a half. I also train with barbells/dumbbells/body weight. I have lost a lot of weight, but I wouldn't put that down to kettlebells. The weight loss is really down to how I eat and the fact that I'm not sitting on my *kitten* 24/7. I don't do "kettleworx" or any sort of group classes or weird DVDs. I started by following Tracy Reifkind (linked to by IronSmasher), and then studied and applied a great book called Enter the Kettlebell. I also use programs written by Dan John.

DId someone above suggest you seek out in-person training? I think that's for the best, as you want to begin on the right foot and learn to use kettlebells safely and effectively. Seek out an RKC or SFG certified trainer in your area. You can find these people by going to the Dragondoor.com site for the RKC trainers, and the StrongFirst.com site for the SFGs. Either is a great choice--both organisations were founded by the same guy and upon the same solid principles.
  • 199WillDo
    199WillDo Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have used the KETTLEWORX DVD series and truly love it! I started with the 5lb, now I moved up to a 7 lb weight through the series. How does everyone track your Kettlebell workout on MFP? I used the aerobic 30 min when i logged in my workout.

I went to Spark People they have an exercise calculator and then added in my list of exercises on MFP.
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Two important things I've learned from certified instructors(classes):

1. Most people squat too much ... don't. This isn't a squatting exercise. Think Deadlift or bent over row. Knees should NOT go infront of toes, back should be straight, head should be linear with back.

2. Pen in armpit..

You should be able to put a marker inbetween both armpits and swing the kettlebell WITHOUT dropping the pen. This is how tight your shoulders /elbows should be to your core/body. Keep everything tight. This will take some getting used to.

3. Thumbs up the *kitten******.......

Yup. you heard me right. When you swing a kettlebell between your legs, your swing position should be so that when the 'kettlebell' goes between your leg, your thumbs should be aiming for your *kitten*****.

I LoL'd at first but keeping this in mind works.
  • klescallette
    Options
    I have logged them in by type of strength exercise so far. I wish they were in the list as kettlebell items. I use squats, abdominal crunches, standing calf raises, abdominal twist ( for the russian twist) and lunge. I have a personal trainer i see twice weekly who has them in the studio. I bought 20, 26 and 35 for home.
  • Mangolassi260
    Mangolassi260 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I started using kettlebells religiously in October 2010 and lost 2 clothing sizes in a couple months (in addition to tracking calories). I followed the Bob Harper DVD that came with my kettlebells. Love it! I'm using a 10lb now, not quite ready for the 15lb. I also do rebounding, walking, and elliptical.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I've been working with kettlebells for I think around 7 months now, and I think they're great. My strength has definitely improved and I'm doing well with losing weight.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Please, please do not use Jillian Michaels as a guide for proper kettlebell form. She is awful.
    Google Lauren Brooks, dragon door kettlebells, Lorna Kleinman. They are great starting places for beginners and are actually certified and able to give direction.

THIS

And then visit this link.

http://www.strongfirst.com/start/
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've been using Kettlebells. I made two routines rather than using a DVD (that would just annoy me). I have one for mostly upper body/core and one for lower body. I do one of the routines, the next day I do yoga and cardio, the next day I do the other routine, so forth. I like it. I think the exercises are more fun and you can work a lot more muscles in the same amount of time compared to bicep curls or whatever.

For lower body there are obviously squats, deadlifts and lunges, also figure 8s which works both your *kitten* and arms/shoulders, rows (sounds like an arm exercise but if you stand there long enough you feel it in your butt), calf raises.

Upper body has good stuff like swings, get ups (I'm not coordinated for Turkish get ups so I just do the sit ups), snatch, halo, windmill, Russian twist, clean and press, and I throw in some flyes and tricep presses because the kettlebell exercises seem to kind of neglect those muscles.

I exercise at home so I'm economising space & money with adjustable kettlebells. My first one was this 12 lb blue one and it's good enough for a lot of the upper body exercises but my lower body could probably use some added weight so I have a heavier one on the way.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Aye I use mine quite a lot (20kg [44LB]). I wish I had a slightly lighter one for higher rep exercises as my fitness is awful and will probably buy a heavier one when I have money for strength exercises (floor press, goblet squat, OHP, row etc.) as 20kg is pretty low.

My favourite exercise is probably the snatch even though my form is horrible.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Aye I use mine quite a lot (20kg [44LB]). I wish I had a slightly lighter one for higher rep exercises as my fitness is awful and will probably buy a heavier one when I have money for strength exercises (floor press, goblet squat, OHP, row etc.) as 20kg is pretty low.

I've heard it's good to do a butt ton of swings to get your form down on that lower part of the exercise before starting in on the snatch.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time loving KBs even if I use them at the gym 3 times a week. They still hurt my lower back. I have no idea what I am doing incorrectly.

Does anyone have a good tutorial?
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have only lost about 30 pounds, but I use kettle bells regularly as part of my routine. I started with some small 8 pounds ones that I found at Ross for about 9.oo, then I moved up to 10 then 15 pounds. Now I am shopping for a 25 pounder. It was a great way for me to ease into weight training also. Kettle bell swings are my favorite. Now when my two year old throws his tantrums, I can kettle bell swing him right off the floor with almost no effort. Sound silly I know, but I couldn't do that a few months ago. I definitely see a change, a stronger back and more defined bust line. Keep going, you will love them. :laugh:
  • Goal179
    Goal179 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Two important things I've learned from certified instructors(classes):

1. Most people squat too much ... don't. This isn't a squatting exercise. Think Deadlift or bent over row. Knees should NOT go infront of toes, back should be straight, head should be linear with back.

2. Pen in armpit..

You should be able to put a marker inbetween both armpits and swing the kettlebell WITHOUT dropping the pen. This is how tight your shoulders /elbows should be to your core/body. Keep everything tight. This will take some getting used to.

3. Thumbs up the *kitten******.......

Yup. you heard me right. When you swing a kettlebell between your legs, your swing position should be so that when the 'kettlebell' goes between your leg, your thumbs should be aiming for your *kitten*****.

I LoL'd at first but keeping this in mind works.

Such great tips. I LOVE kettlebell swings. They are just my favorite. Keeping these tips in mind will help tremendously for folks who are new to swinging the kettle bell. The over squatting is a big problem for us newbies.
  • jsoulia06
    jsoulia06 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Just started a kettleball class last week!! OMG I had a hard time sitting for days...

But going back this week.. Cant give up... Right now just doing class once a week.. but thinking of buying my own set to do some at home.

But agree the class does push you more!
  • ccburn5
    ccburn5 Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Use them all the time in Boot camp in various ways. Some leave you feeling like you got hit by a bus but all seem to be effective.
  • GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options

I've heard it's good to do a butt ton of swings to get your form down on that lower part of the exercise before starting in on the snatch.

My form there is pretty bad too. My body just never wants to quite be in the position I tell it to alas. I mean, I'm exaggerating a little - I have been using the kettlebell on and off for a couple of years now so I have developed my own particular style. :p
  • Kidostud
    Kidostud Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I went to an introduction to Kettel bells class last week and could hardly walk the next day! I'm going to do it twice a week at the gym.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time loving KBs even if I use them at the gym 3 times a week. They still hurt my lower back. I have no idea what I am doing incorrectly.

Does anyone have a good tutorial?

Try Tracy Reifkind's "The Swing". This book has great directions on starting kettlebell workouts with just the swing and a few variations of it. It has instruction on how to set up for a proper swing, and trouble shooting for various symptoms that you might need to improve your form, like a sore lower back. She also has a DVD and a website.