How do you know it is time to settle down?

Options
RodSuarez
RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
The title says it all:

Won't go into any more deep emotional facts, just that question, so people won't be like "Too Long Didn't Read"

Replies

• Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    My inbox is there if you need, friend <3.

I knew before, but things got in the way and I'm questioning everything now.
    Hope that's not the case for you.
  • RodSuarez
    RodSuarez Posts: 6,309 Member
    Options
    My inbox is there if you need, friend <3.

I knew before, but things got in the way and I'm questioning everything now.
    Hope that's not the case for you.
    Thanks darling =)
  • wildcatnyc
    wildcatnyc Posts: 2,410 Member
    Options
    When the thought of being without the person is unimaginable...
  • ND_Figgzie
    ND_Figgzie Posts: 1,480
    Options
    take it from someone who never thought they would get married or have kids.....when you find someone worth it, you will do it......the best way to put it is you don't know until you know
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    When you can envision your life 20, 30 or 40 years down the road and you can see that person sharing that future with you.
  • avemaryama
    avemaryama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    You love when it's easy, but you don't mind when it's hard because working for it isn't work
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    When you can envision your life 20, 30 or 40 years down the road and you can see that person sharing that future with you.

Pretty much this.

Although people do change in those time spans as well & sometimes grow in different directions but that is just life.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Too short, not enough details.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I want to settle down because I like feeling settled. I miss absolutely everything about my marriage, except my husband. I miss having a best friend, someone to always talk to, someone to wake up to, to got to bed with, to come home to, to share my day with, good and bad. I loved the feeling of being the other half of a whole, being someone else's whole world, and he mine.

Too bad the one I had turned out to be a liar and a cheater. But I really do love being married, and hate dating. But I think I'll be dating for a LONG time, because there's been no one I envision spending the rest of my life with. And I do want that, the whole forever thing, next time I fall in love.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    She will tell you when.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    The title says it all:

Won't go into any more deep emotional facts, just that question, so people won't be like "Too Long Didn't Read"

You know. if the thought of not being with the other person is painful, and you can't imagine that person not being a part of your life. You should be comfortable with each other and want to make each other happy. Making the relationship work doesn't feel like work because you want to do it.
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    It's all about the right partner. Found mine later in lfe, though I attempted to settle down many times, unsuccessfully.

Found a beautiful woman, with similar goals, similar ideals. Where we differ, those differences complement each other.

Unfortunately, trying to explain true love is beyond my ability to articulate, but I knew, and, when you know, you won't be posting that question in MFP.
  • fuhrmeister
    fuhrmeister Posts: 1,796 Member
    Options
    I knew it was time when even when things were hard it was still easy to be with my husband. I kew that we would work things throuh together and that my life was better with him in it.
  • Ranocchia
    Ranocchia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    If you ask it, the time hasn't come
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    I want to settle down because I like feeling settled. I miss absolutely everything about my marriage, except my husband. I miss having a best friend, someone to always talk to, someone to wake up to, to got to bed with, to come home to, to share my day with, good and bad. I loved the feeling of being the other half of a whole, being someone else's whole world, and he mine.

Too bad the one I had turned out to be a liar and a cheater. But I really do love being married, and hate dating. But I think I'll be dating for a LONG time, because there's been no one I envision spending the rest of my life with. And I do want that, the whole forever thing, next time I fall in love.

This. x1,000,000

Could not have said it any better myself.
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    when you just 'know'!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I didn't know it was time, honestly. But I knew I felt differently about my husband, than all the others that came before him and felt like if I was going to make it work with anyone, it would be him. I was 27 at the time and lived been on my own enough and been in enough "this isn't going to work" relationships to know what I needed and what I didn't. Husband fit those requirements, so I jumped.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Every poster above me assumed you can only answer that question if you are already in a relationship. I think that is a fallacy. I think you can know it is time to settle without already being in a relationship, and you can date with that in mind. It's a more comprehensive dating approach than just looking for someone good in the moment.

If you are tired of the dating scene, that's a good reason to settle down.

If you have a good relationship and multifaceted attraction that will stand the test of time, that's a good reason to settle down.
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    I didn't know it was time, honestly. But I knew I felt differently about my husband, than all the others that came before him and felt like if I was going to make it work with anyone, it would be him. I was 27 at the time and lived been on my own enough and been in enough "this isn't going to work" relationships to know what I needed and what I didn't. Husband fit those requirements, so I jumped.

Didn't you mention in another thread that you got pregnant and then decided to get married? I'm sure this had to have at least a little influence in your decision to settle down.