Kettlebell Exercise

Options
13»

Replies

• GradatimFerociter
    GradatimFerociter Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time loving KBs even if I use them at the gym 3 times a week. They still hurt my lower back. I have no idea what I am doing incorrectly.

Does anyone have a good tutorial?

I personally like Mike Mahler and Steve Cotter. Both have various instructional videos online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAYZ9gKZaI0
  • getfitgal123
    getfitgal123 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I've been training with a kettlebell trainer 3 times a week for over a year now and I love it! Huge strength gains. I can now do a Turkish Get Up with the 26 lb kettlebell and often use the 30 and 35 lb bells for other exercises.
  • sgonzalezblanco
    sgonzalezblanco Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I've been exercising with kettlebells for around seven months now and the change that I've seen in my body is incredible. I have muscles, I feel strong, and you can see the definition all over my body. As I'm sure many others have said, I believe its worth it to work with a trainer one or two times so you can make sure you have the proper form and not injure yourself in the process of a great kettlebell workout!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time loving KBs even if I use them at the gym 3 times a week. They still hurt my lower back. I have no idea what I am doing incorrectly.

Does anyone have a good tutorial?

I personally like Mike Mahler and Steve Cotter. Both have various instructional videos online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAYZ9gKZaI0

Steve Cotter has an incredible collection of demonstrations called The Encyclopedia of Kettlebell Lifting. I think there's a couple of volumes of it. It's probably all available on Youtube nowadays.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Aye I use mine quite a lot (20kg [44LB]). I wish I had a slightly lighter one for higher rep exercises as my fitness is awful and will probably buy a heavier one when I have money for strength exercises (floor press, goblet squat, OHP, row etc.) as 20kg is pretty low.

My favourite exercise is probably the snatch even though my form is horrible.

I've heard it's good to do a butt ton of swings to get your form down on that lower part of the exercise before starting in on the snatch.

The swing is the cornerstone of the high-pull and snatch. Once you get a powerful hip-drive going in the swing, then you can nail an economical high-pull.

Once you've nailed a decent high-pull, then the snatch is pretty straight-forward you basically learn not to "muscle" the kb and then "punch" the fist vertically at the end. You'll eff it up to start with and bump up your forearms a bit, you'll get past that and learn to do it with the minimum effort possible.
  • pinkiemarie252
    pinkiemarie252 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

The swing is the cornerstone of the high-pull and snatch. Once you get a powerful hip-drive going in the swing, then you can nail an economical high-pull.

Once you've nailed a decent high-pull, then the snatch is pretty straight-forward you basically learn not to "muscle" the kb and then "punch" the fist vertically at the end. You'll eff it up to start with and bump up your forearms a bit, you'll get past that and learn to do it with the minimum effort possible.

Mmm hmm. I bruise really easily so I got some wrist guards and my form and ability have improved immensely just from the lack of fear.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Thank you to those who gave me directions on tutorials! I am going to check them out now.
  • anggolds
    anggolds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Anyone use a kettlebell(s) for exercise? Any weightloss success?

LOVE, Love, love the results from Kettlebell interval exercises. It's great when your running short on time to get a a workout. You can get the same benefits of 30 minute jog or brisk walk in half the time. Plus the combination of strength and cardio melts the fat and tones and defines. I've lost 30 lbs. 6 just this past week ramping up my activity again and getting serious about getting off the last 30 lbs.
  • indigo827
    Options
    I'm a big fan of kettlebell workouts. :)
  • toiletski
    toiletski Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebell workouts twice a week for an hour. I LOVE them. If you do them in front of the mirror you can see the muscles you're working and they burn a ton of calories and get you toned. I couldn't get over how my traps looked the last time I had gotten really fit (before I fell off the wagon :/) But they're awesome because it's strength training and cardio all rolled into one!