Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Saboteurs

Does anyone else have saboteurs around them? Seriously. This is getting rough. At this time, I am living with my parents while I am going back to school full time, and the food that gets brought in here is unbelievably tough. I have talked to them, but it isn't helping. Any advice?

Feel free to add me please. I can always use the motivation. Still 60lbs to go.
:happy:

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    can you buy your own food?

can you offer to do the grocery shopping or cook a few of the meals?

what about practicing portion control to just eat the same food only enough that it doesnt make you consistently go over you calorie goal?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Does anyone else have saboteurs around them? Seriously. This is getting rough. At this time, I am living with my parents while I am going back to school full time, and the food that gets brought in here is unbelievably tough. I have talked to them, but it isn't helping. Any advice?

Sabotage implies intended malice.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Nope, I am the master of my domain :laugh: I don't have to eat it just because someone else offers it or is eating it themselves.
  • SamanthaD1218
    SamanthaD1218 Posts: 303 Member
    I agree with the first response - you should offer to do the grocery shopping or to cook a few meals each week. That way you'll get to control what food you're eating, and your parents will have one less chore to do. If that doesn't work and you can't buy your own food, can you request that they buy a few items that are healthier just for you? Maybe you could have your own cabinet and only eat what you buy or what healthy options they get?
  • Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Money saved living with your parents can be used to buy better foods. I only say this because after college I moved home for a year and managed to save some money...that is all.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Buy some of your own groceries, or just eat less of what they cook. As mean as it sounds, use this as a chance to toughen yourself up and "suck it up", if you will. For example, if your weakness is ice cream, and they bring home a gallon of your favorite brand, use it as a lesson in moderation, measure yourself out a serving size, and eat it straight out of the measuring cup. After it's gone, measuring cup goes in dishwasher or washed in the sink and put away. It sounds goofy, but it works. At least I know it did for me.

Bottom line is you can't expect those around you to change because you are. As long as they're not plotting behind your back to keep you fat, they're not really sabotaging you. The onus is on you to work around them, not the other way around.

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • ltfitz89
    ltfitz89 Posts: 295 Member
    I know what you're going through. I work with a great bunch of people, most of whom can eat whatever they want and lose weight practically without even trying. They order out 4-5 times per week and although I try not to order with them, I usually end up giving in. I really am my own self-saboteur. At home my mother brings in junk food constantly, and although I know she istrying to be nice constantly buys me candy and chips as presents. I try not to eat them or portion them out but I have failed up until recently. I really just changed my mindset. I stopped eating the food in the house and buying my own food. chicken, fruits and veggies, yogurt, and I joined a website called graze.com which mails healthy snacks (low cal options available) right to your house for $6 per box. I have a code that will allow you to try the first box free if you're interested send me a message and I can give it to you! Good luck!
  • hstoblish
    hstoblish Posts: 234 Member
    Buy your own food and cook shared meals. This isn't a bad idea anyways.

It can be very difficult for someone who lives with their parents to essentially change the food that their parents put in front of them. The best way to do it is to participate in the cooking and the shopping.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    I have one on my friend's list.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member

Sabotage implies intended malice.

^ This. Work on your mindset. There's not a person out there who is out to make you overweight. We do that to ourselves.
  • Offer to cook a few healthy meals and see if they will come on board :) Good luck. My family gives me a hard time when I try to make us meatless.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Offer to cook a few healthy meals and see if they will come on board :) Good luck. My family gives me a hard time when I try to make us meatless.

I'd revolt.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    sabotage.gif
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Maybe they figure you aren't a kid anymore and need to deal with the real world, even if it's mom and dad's.
  • Dgydad
    Dgydad Posts: 104 Member
    Dude! You're a grown man, living under THEIR roof, eating THEIR food, at (apparently) THEIR expense; and you're gonna kvetch and whine about the menu? The very existence of this post suggests you are a serious ingrate, my man. The suggestions I've seen in this thread are good and reasonable, and should be tried. But what sticks in my mind is that someone with enough brainpower for higher education couldn't visualize these possibilities himself. C'mon, man; you're better than that, aren't you?
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    You do not have to accept food brought to you. Buy/make your own. Maybe it's her way of passive-aggressively making you so unhappy you will move out! Wait....that's what my mom would do - hence, she lives in another state, LOL!!!

Bottom line, you control what you eat. Just close your mouth next time she tells you to "open up for the choo-choo!"
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Option 1: Cook your own food.
    Option 2: Learn how to eat their food in portions that fit within your calories/macros, as closely as possible.

Both are difficult, but if you can change your mindset and not see certain foods as bad, or the other people in the house as sabateurs, then you can make it work for yourself.

Anything worth having takes effort. Good luck with it bro.
  • Dude! You're a grown man, living under THEIR roof, eating THEIR food, at (apparently) THEIR expense; and you're gonna kvetch and whine about the menu? The very existence of this post suggests you are a serious ingrate, my man. The suggestions I've seen in this thread are good and reasonable, and should be tried. But what sticks in my mind is that someone with enough brainpower for higher education couldn't visualize these possibilities himself. C'mon, man; you're better than that, aren't you?

I pay rent as a roommate and all of my own bills. I don't mooch or live off of them financially. We agreed to have me here as a third of the rent as three roommates would. I am simply asking how to you all avoid the temptations when others bring the bad crap in. Maybe "sabotage" was a wrong word.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    I pay rent as a roommate and all of my own bills. I don't mooch or live off of them financially. We agreed to have me here as a third of the rent as three roommates would. I am simply asking how to you all avoid the temptations when others bring the bad crap in. Maybe "sabotage" was a wrong word.

Strong response, srs. Just tell yourself that it's not your food and you didn't pay for it. It's one thing to resist the temptation to snack, but what about stealing? Tell yourself that it isn't yours and eat the food that you buy.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    One of my bosses doesn't just bring food in, she physically places food in my hand and makes me eat it. Usually it's fairly good options, a cheese, hard boiled egg, or fruit, but sometimes it's chocolate. Yummy. I've just learnt to leave room for however much she has been bringing recently. If she doesn't bring food on any given day, or less, I just have more room at the end of the day for something yummy of my choosing. Simply having the food around isn't a big deal. Simply learn to only have what fits into your goals.