I need more sodium

Options
Hello !

I've just found out that my sodium levels are too low for my objective, I want to gain weight.

Generally I consume around 1,136 and I need 2,500.

So, what is the best way to increase my sodium levels ?

Thanks.

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Sprinkle salt on your food. Drink regular V8 juice. Eat canned chilli con carne - tons of protein and sodium (and farts)!
  • mengmoua2010
    mengmoua2010 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sodium makes you gain water weight. Water weight isn't that awesome to have on your body lol. Your sodium intake is fine as it is now, just make sure you eat at a surplus and you should be gaining weight.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Salt your food?

Beef jerky and pretzels for dinner.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Sodium isn't your issue. Eating more calories should be your focus. Sodium makes you retain water and that's not "real weight"
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Bacon :)

Seriously though I wouldn't worry about a low on sodium unless your having symptoms like dizziness? - a lot of the entries are made by users of the site and if they've been in a hurry, they may not have entered a value for sodium.
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    No one should be telling the OP not to increase sodium. For all you guys know, her doctor could have told her this?

Pre-packaged meals are high in sodium. I really like Amy's frozen burritos. They even make gluten and dairy free ones, and they're delicious.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    You could start adding higher sodium foods to your routine. Celery, eggs, chicken, carrots, spinach, milk, cheeses like Cheddar, cantaloupe melon, shrimp & artichokes are foods with naturally higher levels of sodium.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    Seafood is loaded with protein and sodium. Shrimp, crab, tuna, oysters. etc. Yay for your getting it straight!
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Here, you can have some of mine.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    You don't need 2500. That is supposed to be your max.
  • starlaca
    starlaca Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Buy a few salt rocks. Keep one in your car, one at work and one next to your bed. Lick away all day.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I munch on pickles, chips, and other salty snacks when my sodium is less than 500, and if it's reeally low I'll have a frozen dinner or canned soup for lunch.

however, i don't understand why you need more sodium to gain weight?
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs & ramen noodles.
  • Thyiela
    Options
    Unless you want a heart attack you don't need more sodium
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    If you need to add sodium, I'd try to get it from a good quality sea salt instead of normal table salt or adding processed foods high in sodium.

Having enough salt is important - I add plenty of salt to my food as I drink a lot of water and don't eat much processed food...
  • KingRat79
    KingRat79 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I’m curious who told you to add additional sodium to your diet?

Yes you need some sodium in your diet, but to much isn’t good for you and can cause cardiovascular disease. Most people will get plenty of sodium through their day to day diet and trying to supplement it really isn’t necessary. Unless your doctor or a dietician has advised you to add salt to your diet wouldn’t be adding extra.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Here, you can have some of mine.

Mine too.
  • meganjcallaghan
    meganjcallaghan Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    A person only needs 200 mg of sodium a day to keep enough in their system....the 2300mg daily amount listed on here is the generous maximum a person should have, though most people are getting upwards of 3500 or more a day if they're not careful. Like so many other people have mentioned, the only weight you'll gain with sodium is retained water, and that's not real weight. You also increase your chance of high blood pressure and/or heart disease. Not really worth it for a little bit of water weight.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I also have to increase mine. I just add some iodized salt to a meal or 2 each day.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    A person only needs 200 mg of sodium a day to keep enough in their system....the 2300mg daily amount listed on here is the generous maximum a person should have, though most people are getting upwards of 3500 or more a day if they're not careful. Like so many other people have mentioned, the only weight you'll gain with sodium is retained water, and that's not real weight. You also increase your chance of high blood pressure and/or heart disease. Not really worth it for a little bit of water weight.

actually that number is 500mg to keep your organs functioning properly. Also some people have low blood pressure and thus need to have certain amount of sodium daily and that amount can vary between people. Furthermore it depends on where the person lives in a hot climate.