Diet Soda Cake?

Options

Replies

• DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate for a minute. Ignore me if you wish.

Eggs are good for you. Especially egg whites. Canola oil is good for you.

Super refined white flour is not. Too much sugar is not. Soda most certainly is not.

I've had this cake. I've had it as cupcakes. I've had it as cake. It is nowhere near as tasty as a piece of real cake.

I have done this weight loss dance many, many times in my life. At the risk of sounding cliche, this time is different. Why is it different? Because this time I still eat real food. Never have I done that before. If I want pizza, I have a slice. If I want cake I go to the bakery and buy a single cupcake. For me? I'm going to use a homemade cake recipe and make real cake with good for me, high protein eggs and egg whites. I will use good for me canola oil and olive oil. I will add high calcium yogurt.

I am not trying to be preachy. I realize that this is how I am coming across. I just want to share my thoughts about what works best for me.
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Thank you, DD :)
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I make diet soda cake.

Dreamsicle cupcakes - White cake mix, diet sunkist - mix and cook at 375 for about 20 mins
    Funfetti Easter cake - Strawberry cake mix, diet seven up - mix and then sprinkled with eater m&ms
    Funfetti Holiday cupcakes - Funfetti cake mix, diet sierra mist - once cooled add a dollop of sugar free cool while and sprinkle red/white sugar on top and/or small strawberry on top of each one.

Brownies - Brownie Mix & diet coke - cook, cool, and eat
    Brownies - Pure pumpkin puree and one brownie mix - cook, cool, & eat

All have been tried and are really yummy!!
  • DDCNY
    DDCNY Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thank you, DD :)

No, thank YOU! :) Nice food diary. Very inspiring!
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options
    What about red bull or monster cake? :)
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    works great, I do this with my protein powder
  • Mouseanonymous802
    Options
    Betty Crocker chocolate fudge brownie mix (420g) and 330ml diet coke.
    Ew Ew Ew Ew Ew!!
    Haha don't try that combination!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    The only downside to this is the texture of the cake. If I make this again, I will bake it for less time, or at a lower temp. I actually just used club soda instead of a diet soda, and it tasted really good. It's the carbonation that does the trick. But I think it makes the cake rise too quickly and it's not as moist as it could be.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm going to play Devil's advocate for a minute. Ignore me if you wish.

Eggs are good for you. Especially egg whites. Canola oil is good for you.

Super refined white flour is not. Too much sugar is not. Soda most certainly is not.

I've had this cake. I've had it as cupcakes. I've had it as cake. It is nowhere near as tasty as a piece of real cake.

I have done this weight loss dance many, many times in my life. At the risk of sounding cliche, this time is different. Why is it different? Because this time I still eat real food. Never have I done that before. If I want pizza, I have a slice. If I want cake I go to the bakery and buy a single cupcake. For me? I'm going to use a homemade cake recipe and make real cake with good for me, high protein eggs and egg whites. I will use good for me canola oil and olive oil. I will add high calcium yogurt.

I am not trying to be preachy. I realize that this is how I am coming across. I just want to share my thoughts about what works best for me.

I agree with your main point. To me though, this type of thing is an "everyday" type of dessert, while a real butter cake with *real* buttercream frosting is for special occasions. That's how I see it anyway.
  • toothfairy2717
    Options
    Oooh vanilla cake and diet cream soda sounds YUMMY!
  • Bump
  • irisvascos
    irisvascos Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Bump. Yumm!!
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    First of all, regular cake mixes contain sugar, so adding Diet soda would only decrease the calories a small amount and you lose the protein from the eggs--I can see using it if you have an egg allergy. However, aspartame (NutraSweet) turns bitter when baked because the chemical composition breaks down. If you find a diet soda with Splenda, it would be fine, but NutraSweet is out.
  • _rozamu
    _rozamu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Fabulous idea!I would probably use real soda tho; not much of a calorie difference.
  • sandytusk
    sandytusk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    bump
  • nicoleisback
    Options
    Just out of curiosity, has anyone tried this with just adding sparkling water (no artificial sweetener) to the mix? My understanding is it is the carbonation that makes the cake rise anyway, so I wonder if this would work.

I am thinking I need to get a soda stream, and give this a go. That way you can add your own natural flavours in without the fizzy drink overpowering it. I am thinking maybe chilli chocolate?
  • droxeene
    droxeene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Bump for later :smile:
  • sweetnlow30
    sweetnlow30 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I made this tonight with Betty Crocker moist chocolate fudge cake mix and 12oz of diet Dr. pepper. I also added about 1/3 cup cocoa powder and a bit of vanilla. It turned out amazing! It was 165 calories for 1/10 of a 9x13 pan. I topped mine with light cool whip. Everyone loved it. :smile:
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I made that before, but I didn't like the texture, It wasn't fluffy enough, so I wont be doing that again.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to use diet soda I think you can also use pureed pumpkin. I've done it a few times and its fine but if I'm really dying for cake, real cake in small amounts works much better for me.