What kind of milk do you drink?

Options

Replies

• konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is a little heavy to digest,asian cultures drink buffalo milk or goat milk,it is lighter and easier to digest compared to cows milk.When I was in india I had full fat buffalo milk all the time,only after moving to the US I started feeling that milk is making me feel ugly in my stomach,I switched to goats milk,I'm doing fine,its a bit pricey though compared to regular milk.I make some yogurt with cows milk at home and make lassi out of it and drink,that seems to keep my stomach fine,My tummy is not happy with just cows milk in the milk form.Yogurt is easier to digest than milk,you could also try warming up your milk before drinking,cold products are harder to digest for the stomach.Alternatively,if you have any allergies to milk you might want to get checked.

sample recipe for lassi
    http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink4765.html
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues with cow's milk. I can do goat's milk, and lactose free, but unsweetened vanilla almond is my favorite. I also like unsweetened plain for cooking.
  • LouiseChe
    LouiseChe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I love milk. Always have. Before I started on here, I could easily drink 4 or 5 big glasses a day, sometimes more. We went through milk really quickly in my house! Once I started on here, I realised how many calories I consumed in a day just with milk.

I have milk very occasionally now, mainly because it is a slippery slope. I have noticed, though, that when I do have it I don't enjoy it like I used to. It feels really thick and heavy on my tongue. I no longer crave it like I used to, either.

My sister bought me some unsweetened almond milk to try. I use it to make a smoothie every morning for breakfast. It's delicious, but I don't think I would drink it on its own. Never tried it in coffee but I can't imagine that it would be pleasant. I'm not a coffee or tea drinking so it isn't really an issue.

I will have to try coconut milk. Sounds yummy.
  • zombiesalad
    zombiesalad Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk is my favorite, especially in cereal. Almond milk is also pretty good.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Whole milk! I'm from Wisconsin originally, so, yeah, milk was a big part of my life growing up. Not in my coffee, though :sick: Black for me! I get local milk directly from a farmer and it's awesome.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I was a 1% or skim drinker for a long time but switched to 2% because I need some more fat in my diet.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I laid off the regular (skimmed) milk a while back. I've never been a big milk drinker and I've usually avoided it in my coffee in the morning as it's made me somewhat bloated and uncomfortable.
    But instead of just doing an espresso, I tried coconut milk a while ago. I liked it MUCH better, it's light and I don't feel queezy after.

Now I've moved and my local grocery shops don't carry coconut milk. I thought soy milk could work, and now I've had it for two days and I'm crazy bloated. I feel "full" and my stomach, which was just starting to go away after my January diet/low carb started, feels big again.

What kind of milk works best for you if you don't drink dairy? Are there other types I might try?

If you can get coconuts, then you can get coconut milk (unsweetend, shaved/shredded coconut might work, too, but I haven't personally tried it, and it may need more water):

1. Break open a coconut, keep the water from it.
    2. Separate the meat from the shell.
    3. Put it and the coconut water in a blender
    4. Add 1-4 cups of water per cup of coconut meat (depending on how thick/thin you want it)
    5. Blend thoroughly, until you get a slurry
    6. Drain through cheesecloth, nut bag, or fine strainer into a container, press out as much water as you can without forcing the fibers through
    7 (optional). Reblend the pulp with some more water to extract more of the nutrients that make the milk
    8 (optional). Add flavorings to taste

This can also be done with any kind of tree nut (most commonly almonds, but it works for any nut):

1. Shell nuts if necessary
    2. Soak nuts for at least 4 hours
    3. Drain and rinse
    4. Continue from step 3 above

These also have the added bonus of allowing you to have it fresh (which arguably tastes better), and full control over the additives (which helps you control things like sugar and potential intolerance triggers).

That said, I'm personally a dairy milk drinker - whole, non-homogenized, since my state outlawed the sale of raw milk. If it's legal where you're at, you might want to try raw milk (some people who can't tolerate conventional, homogenized, pasteurized milk can handle raw, because of the enzymes in raw milk) to open it up as an option.
  • LexiMelo
    LexiMelo Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    2% or whole for me! I love the flavor and it really is a full nutritional package. I drank skim for years but stopped drinking milk because it didn't taste good.

My favorite post-workout snack is 1 c. of 2% milk w/a scoop of chocolate whey protein powder.

p.s. I also like coconut or almond milk, which are also both good in coffee, but can yield strange results in baking (once I made almond milk mac & cheese - yuck.)
  • halliedoll
    Options
    Unsweetedned vanilla almond milk! its pretty good tasting, about 35 calories and really good for you!
  • thisisforme43
    thisisforme43 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Whole milk for me. I tried 2% but nobody at my house would drink it. Husband grew up on a dairy farm . He'd prefer it straight from the cow. Since I usually only have one glass a day ad bake with it, I'll keep drinking whole milk.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to come back later and rant about strained nut water being called "milk".
  • gloriaeffe
    gloriaeffe Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I never liked cow milk and it used to give me some digestive issues.
    I switched to light soy milk for a while, just when I occasionally felt like cappuccino or cold milk with cereal. I must admit I never loved it though.
    One year ago I started drinking unsweetened almond milk and I now can't live without! I love how it tastes either plain, in my morning oatmeal or in my protein shakes. I use it for cooking too and it has never disappointed. I have tried the vanilla flavoured one recently but I'm not a big fan.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    1%. Unless it comes from a mammal, it's not milk. Oil or juice at best. "Soy oil" & "Almond juice" just don't sell.
  • LouiseChe
    LouiseChe Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    1%. Unless it comes from a mammal, it's not milk. Oil or juice at best. "Soy oil" & "Almond juice" just don't sell.

True story. I don't think I would buy almond juice....sounds foul lol.
  • cactuswax
    cactuswax Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    i agree with everyone who mentioned almond milk, but I highly recommend making your own. Take a look at what's on the ingredient list... carageenan has a nasty repuation, and there are usually a slew of stabilizers.

Plus it just tastes better. I love it...
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    In order from fav to least fav:

1. Rice milk. very light and naturally sweet.
    2. Almond milk. creamier and richer.
    3. Coconut/Almond blend, in between rice and pure almond.

I usually get enriched, vanilla, unsweetened, in whichever I buy. I only use in shakes, cereal, or recipes. I don't drink them straight up.

I never buy dairy or soymilk. Both taste funny.
  • vienna_h
    vienna_h Posts: 428 Member
    Options

branded as 'milk' because they are mostly used as a replacement for dairy milk, not a replacement for oils or juices.

i'm fun at parties, i know.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Silk Almond Milk Vanilla Unsweetened - 30 calories per cup
  • emd2570
    emd2570 Posts: 126 Member
    Options