How to overcome "all or nothing" thinking with food?

Options

Replies

• Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I wonder if the "all or nothing" thinking comes as a result of labeling foods into "good or bad". The reality is nothing is off limits, rather logging your food and staying within your caloric requirements.

When I started losing weight I was eating 1200 calories a day and "clean eating" and would wonder why I was failing. I couldn't make it from my healthy breakfast to a healthy lunch. Then I educated myself, and now I eat more (a lot more) and eat whatever I want. I don't feel deprived and I don't feel like I have blown it and therefore I have an eating plan that is sustainable for me.

I would recommend reading the forums here as a great place to get educated. Use the "search" function and type in "all or nothing thinking" and my guess is you may come up with others that have gone through this as well. There are a lot of great things to learn here.

You will find your way. Stick with it.

This!!! If you associate pizza with "bad", you immediately think you've blown it. But if you realize you can have pizza, just maybe not as much as you did before, you may be able to have one or two slices without overeating everything in general.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    The all or nothing has to come from you and you have to be mentally ready.

There is nothing wrong with a slice of pizza and maybe even 2 depending on your calorie goals. But you have to WANT to commit to your goals and figure out from there how YOU will get past this all or nothing approach.

It's easy for ME to say go ahead and have a piece of pizza as long as it fits in with your goals but it seems that you can't stop at one so maybe for the short term you should avoid any and all temptations until you get into a habit and routine of healthy eating, Once it's become habit it may be easier for you to eat one, enjoy it and stop there.
  • MadDogManor
    MadDogManor Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I am a food addict and I think the one thing that helped me was a bit radical. The advice my counselor gave me was None is better than One and what she meant by that is for a food addict like myself it is better to have no piece of cake (whatever is your weakness) than one piece that would turn out to be a whole cake worth of slices. I am a food addict so I don't know if this will help, but thought I would share my way of dealing with this demon.

This is how I am, too. I cannot have one slice of pizza because it's my worst trigger food. Chips and salty crackers, too. I don't even start. Maybe someday I'll be able to fit those choices into my diet, but for now I can't. And, I'm learning that it's ok to be hungry, I don't have to stuff my face to try and quench the hunger, sometimes it'll never be quenched. Sounds a bit extreme to some, but it's helping me. Good luck
  • angel79202
    angel79202 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Maybe try to enter your foods ahead of time into your diary and stick to it?
    Some have success with that.
    I don't see any food as bad, and do everything in moderation :) Good luck!
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    I read something a while back where someone said "If you ran a red light, would you keep running every red light after that?" It rang true with me because it is not something that would make sense to keep doing if it was a one time mistake. What worked best for me was to look at it as 1. Did I plan to eat the food that made me go over in calories and 2. If I didn't, did I learn something from the experience or even enjoy what I was eating.....if not then it was not worth the time it would take to burn it off at the gym and I learned what to look out for next time. Planning is a great thing when it comes to calorie limits. It comes down to getting control over the food and not taking it out on yourself if you fumble and eat something high calorie. If it is a single meal, then work it off....if it is a whole day, then let it go and plan for the next healthy day.
  • DancesWithBirds
    DancesWithBirds Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I can relate.

I do this when I eat something that I hadn't planned on eating. Yep: I'm a planner. I plan dinners for my family a week in advance and I will often plan out my meals for the day by lunch time and log them early. It seems crazy, but it keep the guesswork out of it for me so that when I sit down to eat something particularly delicious I already know how much of it I am going to eat. When I plan pizza, I work it into my calories for the day and when I sit down to eat it I put however much of it on my plate and tell myself that's it. When I don't plan pizza, I do end up sitting down to the meal feeling defeated even before I start eating it. And even if I don't feel defeated, I rationalize that it tasted good and I want more and it can't be THAT many calories, anyway.... when I'm finished with one serving. It makes me eat more. And then lots of sugary foods in no moderation afterwards because hey, why not?

For me, it's totally a mental thing. I associate it with my binge tendencies. I mainly control it by planning ahead, but also by only buying single servings. I'm doomed if I buy a whole box of cookies, but if I can buy just one or two at the bakery then one or two is all I can eat. The same thing with the pizza: doomed if there are two large pizzas with different topping choices AND bread sticks and I didn't plan ahead (I like to sample!) but better if there is less pizza and less choices.

Once in awhile if I give in and binge, I just pull myself up out of the "hangover", tell myself tomorrow is a new day, then try try again. :) Hope that helps!
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    What are you eating for breakfast? Does your healthy breakfast have lots of fat, protein and calories?
  • caredoll
    Options
    A person with an addiction, or even a weakness, when confronted with a choice she/he knows is going to lead away from the goal and towards that "pleasure," will turn off the reason sensor in his/her brain. It takes practice and a lot of self-talk to take that off auto-pilot and stay in control of one's senses. Imagine yourself in a situation of temptation, then imagine yourself overcoming it.

Another thing to remember, you may have blown your "goal," but your body definitely knows the difference between two slices of pizza and the whole works. That's your little shoulder devil telling you to go for the mother lode! Don't believe that lie--just enjoy the pizza and remember that tomorrow there may be room for french fries.

As you can see, you are definitely not alone. We are all cheering for you! (And trying to help ourselves, in the process.)
  • Jlan11
    Jlan11 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I still struggle with this, from time to time, but I started to over come this mentality when I realized that one meal, one day, even one week doesn't make much of a difference in the long run. It's the pattern of choices over time that makes the difference. You can have a huge calorie day, cut back for the rest of the week, and still lose weight. When I first started MFP several people mentioned intermittent fasting. It was not really the best plan for me, but it makes so much sense. Weight loss is because of a calorie deficit over time not one meal. I take comfort in the fact that if I fall, I can get right back up, and I am still on the path to meeting all my goals!
  • kellyskitties
    kellyskitties Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've so been there - but now I've changed. I think logging it regardless has helped me to change. I look back at the choices I made and realistically why and what could I do better next time. I don't look back through critical glasses either. It's not about missing my chance at perfection. I look back with thoughts like "was it a favorite thing?" "was it peer pressure" "was I just hungry" etc. Then make a plan to prevent the problem or accept that it was a favorite thing and I'm just not doing without favorites. I log it, move on. If I go over my calories for the day I just try to stop before I go over my maintenance calories level. Some days I'm just HANGRY and that's all there is to it.

My current motto is that I choose progress over perfection. If I'm below maintenance - that's progress. If I'm below my goal calories - even better. If I'm over maintenance - what happened today? Sometimes, you just need that dinner out with friends or family and I've learned if that's my breaking point so be it. I just restart the next day trying to do better again.

It's a process and it won't happen day 1. My day 1 was, in fact, a crap fest of high calorie low nutrition foods for the most part and I didn't care. I started from where I really was not from a prewritten unobtainable plan of perfection diet that makes some author rich - I started right where I was and thought to myself "self, what could you do better." and there I was, first tweaks in hand moving forward. I'm still tweaking and moving forward. I've skipped logging for a couple days even - and started right back up. I see logging as my norm now and log whether things are blown away or right on target. It just is what it is and it's not going to be perfect. Nobody likes perfect diet people, they are hangry and judgmental. Relax and just log.
  • Cica77
    Cica77 Posts: 2
    Options
    What matters is: calories in and calories burned. As long as you use the energy you consume, you wont gain weight. I find that 1 slice of pizza/cake is okay on the scale, but the cravings kick in. For me it's easier to stay away from these than to limit myself to a single serving. ;)
  • Crumpet_Girl
    Crumpet_Girl Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I can relate 100%! I was just like this for years and years.

I started doing intermittent fasting and IIFYM (if it fits your macros) for me it made me realize that if I eat something deemed "bad" it doesn't actually mean I have ruined my day. I can still fit my macros and my calories.

Maybe google and read a bit about it. You can do IIFYM without fasting. For me it just means I can eat a bigger meal which I like.

And stop beating yourself up! :wink:
  • lstroth1
    lstroth1 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I would take all the other peoples suggestions. I have done such things as preplan the "bad" meal ahead of time so that I make room for it. Or make room for it by exercising more. My biggest thing I try to do is that realize that for me I will be over on the days I work and don't exercise. I just try to watch how far over. I don't always succeed because I don't do well when free food is offered and it is good food. Or if there is any sweets around.
    Right now at our house I am having trouble with the fact that my favorite snack foods are in the house. But once those are gone, it will get easier. I do try and do extra good on my days at home because I control the food and have access to exercise.
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    I agree that logging every bite works. If you pig out, record it anyway, and then adjust over the next few days.

Also, and I'm not joking here, eat with skinny people. Order what they order and stop eating when they do. For instance, I learned from one skinny friend how to eat salad dressing. She orders it on the side and dips her fork in it before digging into the salad for each bite. So the first taste in each bit is the salad dressing, but there is actually very little on the fork, and she seldom eats more than a teaspoon of dressing with the salad.

And motivation -- I've finally gotten into the habit of reminding myself how much my knees hurt before I order. If I lose weight my knees won't hurt as much.
  • cevalid
    cevalid Posts: 59
    Options
    I'm also an all or nothing person :)

I'm learning to deal with it in this way: If you do eat a high calorie meal or food log it instantly. Have a look at how many calories were actually in it, and how many calories you have left to play with. Chances are that one or two slices of pizza will still leave you room for dinner.

This is a way to mentally switch the black and white/perfectionist thinking you have about high calorie 'bad' foods and lower calorie 'good' foods to one where you focus on staying within budget or at least avoiding heavy calorie debt.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Forbid yourself the foods that cause you to binge for long enough to build new habits (for me, that's 3 months), then gradually reintroduce them in moderation.
  • gypsyone96
    Options
    Try planning ahead of time. It works for me. I have the same problem as you, and even with planning, I fall off the wagon too sometimes. When that happens, I just tell myself that everyday is a new day and just start over again. I'm serious about the planning a day before though. Before I go to sleep or when I'm eating dinner, I will plan out the next days meals and snacks and have the ready. That way, even if I'm offered something, I will know to say no as to not go over my daily limit.
  • Anassal86
    Options
    Hmm... Not to preAch, but u dhould try doing IF... That way if you only ate dinner you would be able to hold ur cals for one meal and eat that zza or chocolate in moderation. I have the same mindset and weakness as yu so i do a 22:2 IF. I fast for 22 hours and 2 hours of eating ! U jst find ur min cal intake and eat that in 2 hour window or howver u choose to use IF. Plus its great to work out fasted! Just a thought. Only thing that has ever wrked for me!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm having some success overcoming it by realizing it's lazy and convenient for me to think this way. I used to label myself a perfectionist and a 'black or white' thinker but look how many benefits that gives me (in the eating dept.)? All I have to do to have carte blanche for a whole day is have one tiny slip-up.

Watch people who manage their weight intuitively. They don't skip the pizza entirely and they don't let one slice trigger a day long free-for-all. They live in the gray area, like our bodies do. A slice of pizza is rarely any disaster, but our reaction to it can make it one, and that's rather handy for the part of our mind that wants to eat without considering the consequences.
  • 1968samuel
    1968samuel Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Lots of great information here. This is something I struggle with almost everyday. Once I got a few months of tracking under my belt, I've been able to see how letting loose every now and then won't hurt long term progress. It's when you fall out of saddle for weeks and months on end that you'll run into trouble.

Good luck!