What kind of milk do you drink?

Options

Replies

• Natmarie73
    Natmarie73 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is a little heavy to digest,asian cultures drink buffalo milk or goat milk,it is lighter and easier to digest compared to cows milk.When I was in india I had full fat buffalo milk all the time,only after moving to the US I started feeling that milk is making me feel ugly in my stomach,I switched to goats milk,I'm doing fine,its a bit pricey though compared to regular milk.I make some yogurt with cows milk at home and make lassi out of it and drink,that seems to keep my stomach fine,My tummy is not happy with just cows milk in the milk form.Yogurt is easier to digest than milk,you could also try warming up your milk before drinking,cold products are harder to digest for the stomach.Alternatively,if you have any allergies to milk you might want to get checked.

sample recipe for lassi
    http://www.drinksmixer.com/drink4765.html

Oohhh that Lassi recipe sounds delish. Thanks for posting.

I don't have lactose intolerance to cow juice, but it does give me gas - I still drink full cream milk though. When my local Organic shop has raw milk in stock I grab that - it is just so much more creamier and delicious than regular pasteurized and homogenised milk with about 3 inches of cream sitting on top. Its illegal for farmers to sell it here in Australia though :angry: but they get around it by marketing it as bath milk ha ha.

I also love almond milk and goats milk in smoothies or protein shakes. For those who have digestion issues with cows milk, goats milk won't have the same effect as there is no lactose in it, same as yoghurt. I haven't tried rice milk and don't like soy milk at all.

Coconut milk sold in shops is just coconut cream mixed with water.
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    1% Lowfat milk. Could never do fat-free/skim.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    1%. Unless it comes from a mammal, it's not milk. Oil or juice at best. "Soy oil" & "Almond juice" just don't sell.

Since you're concerned with accurate titles, we should really call mammal milk: " Bovine Growth Hormone, Antibiotics, Pus, Dead Tissue and Blood Milk"

No bias to see here . . .
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I don't drink milk plain, but I usually use vanilla soy milk (yes, I know it's not really milk) on cereal. When I'm making a recipe that calls for milk, then I get regular whole milk.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    98% fat free/2% milk from Coles or Woolworths, cheap and does the trick.

Don't you ever care or worry why it's so cheap?
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I drink skim or lite milk. What ever. I've tried the other stuff but couldn't stomach it (rice, almond etc.)
  • xombiebite
    xombiebite Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    i dont
  • gypsyone96
    Options
    almond milk all the way!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

I'm gonna be honest, the last thing to enter my mind when I find a place that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for milk is "why aren't they trying to take every last dollar from me?"
  • itbloke
    itbloke Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Organic - Raw whole milk - 2-3 glasses a day :)
  • jeridith
    jeridith Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Fresh and unprocessed from the cow! ???? I wasn't a big milk drinker until I met non-homogenised, non-pasteurised milk, then it was love at first taste! So much so I had to put a limit on it as the weight was starting to creep up. ????
  • paulperryman
    paulperryman Posts: 839 Member
    Options

I'm gonna be honest, the last thing to enter my mind when I find a place that doesn't charge an arm and a leg for milk is "why aren't they trying to take every last dollar from me?"

Exactly when you are on a budget as most people are every dollar counts, not paying twice as much for hype and bullcrap promises when all you are getting is exactly the same thing the cheap guys charge for with a different brand name on it.

and fyi it's cheap because they buy up all the supplies from the farmers and then undercut the others, making a loss on that and making it up on other crap that people with no sense buy.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I drink whole milk in tea and coffee, and skim milk in cereal. I hate skim milk in hot drinks. We buy whole milk for our kids.
  • mhasita
    mhasita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I drink lactose-free cow milk.

(yeah, someone made that happen, I don't know if its healthy or if it really comes from cows, but it doesn't bloat me)
  • kablondy
    kablondy Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I don't like drinking milk but can take it in my tea or coffee, I only use skimmed milk.
  • Tiranoua
    Tiranoua Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I generally stick to Skimmed milk. I'm not a massive fan of milk, I don't add it to hot drinks and the only time I have milk is when I have oatmeal. I have done the switch to unsweetened soya milk, but it was wasted since I don't use a lot of milk in the first place. So I just stick to plain old skimmed :)
  • Fit2Strip
    Fit2Strip Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    1%. Unless it comes from a mammal, it's not milk. Oil or juice at best. "Soy oil" & "Almond juice" just don't sell.

Since you're concerned with accurate titles, we should really call mammal milk: " Bovine Growth Hormone, Antibiotics, Pus, Dead Tissue and Blood Milk"

There's no bias when it is a well documented fact.

People can laugh it off with responses "it still tastes good", but that doesn't change the fact of what it contains. I never said milk tastes bad. This is just a case of blissful ignorance where people block out the bad things to enjoy the good. I, personally, can't lie to myself to that degree, but others are more than welcome to.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

There's no bias when it is a well documented fact.

People can laugh it off with responses "it still tastes good", but that doesn't change the fact of what it contains. I never said milk tastes bad. This is just a case of blissful ignorance where people block out the bad things to enjoy the good. I, personally, can't lie to myself to that degree, but others are more than welcome to.

You watch way too many PETA documentaries. Of course there are often minuscule amount if foreign substances in everything we eat but the same goes for the feces in that precious almond milk of yours. Please, by all means though, please educate us with more of your rants
  • Athena53
    Athena53 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

I once heard it described in a science class as a suspension of fat molecules in water. Eeuw.
  • laursoar
    laursoar Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    If you really liked coconut milk, you could order it in bulk online. Vitacost tends to have health food goods at a reasonable cost in bulk. So Delicious unsweetened coconut can sit out for a long period of time unopened too.