• LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk

^^ THIS^^
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, usually unsweetened vanilla.

I cannot stomach cow milk. Plus, almond milk is SO much better for you and healthier. Even if I could stomach cow milk, I would never go back to it. I love the way almond milk taste. <3
  • afat12
    afat12 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Almond milk :) plain unsweetened.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    1% nothing special i don't really use it except with my ceral
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    Jameson
  • flab2fit_30
    Options
    i still prefer to drink whole vitamin d milk if im drinking a glass of milk... but i use silk coconut milk for my cereal/oatmeal/smoothies, etc.
  • DevoteeofIset
    DevoteeofIset Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I never drank pasteurized cow milk. It made me feel bloated and mucousy. I have,since,converted to raw cows milk and my immunity, digestion etc are healing and I cant believe how much i love it.

I was told to put a spoonful of raw butter in,coffee instead of milk or cream. I havent tried it as i dont drink coffee much. But raw butter doesnt taste like store pasteurized butter.

The pasteurization kills the cows milk and makes it a completely different substance which should no longer be called milk. I went to a conference where they showed what raw milk and pasteurized milk look like at a molecular level and they are no longer even closely related. I was shocked.

I know a few people who love almond milk. Some grocery stories will carry coconut milk in ethnic food section. I like all coconut products.
  • kballard66
    Options
    skim milk, sometimes with sugar free chocolate syrup
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Unsweetened almond for me, and sometimes coconut.
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    plain, unsweetened almond milk
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I do like dairy, and tend to switch between 1% and 2% just depending on which store I happen to be shopping in (Aldi has inexpensive half gal of 1% while the supermarket closer to my house has tiny containers of Hiland 2%).

We also buy unsweetened plain almond milk sometimes. I like that too.

The vanilla almond milk is more cals/sugar but TASTY. We get that occasionally but mostly drink it straight or put it in smoothies...it's not nearly as versatile due to the flavor.
  • copselily
    copselily Posts: 117
    Options
    Rice milk is my absolute favourite, closely followed by coconut milk.

rice-dream-organic.jpg
  • FitForRiding
    Options
    Non-fat or 1% Low Fat Organic. Organic milk has a much richer taste.
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Skim or 1%. I'm lucky to live in Wisconsin, where milk is often cheaper than water!

A nutritionist I saw last year cautioned me against using Almond or Soy as a replacement for dairy, because they are not as nutritionally dense as dairy. Additionally, there are some studies that women who consume large quantities of soy are more likely to have hormone issues.
  • mistyb1972
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk, coconut flavored almond milk, coconut milk
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Almond milk, usually unsweetened vanilla.

I cannot stomach cow milk. Plus, almond milk is SO much better for you and healthier. Even if I could stomach cow milk, I would never go back to it. I love the way almond milk taste. <3

They're about the same on the "which is healthier" front. They have different nutrient profiles, but it generally evens out, overall, when comparing apples to apples (pure almond milk without additives to raw cow's milk).

Almond milk has a high amount of Omega-6 fatty acids, and no Omega-3s to counterbalance. The Omega-3:Omega-6 ratio is a large factor in being healthy, so drinking a lot of almond milk is doing a lot to throw off that balance. Polyunsaturated fats are also sensitive to heats and oxidize easily when heated, not only defeating their purpose, but also causing harm to the body. That said, it does have a good amount of Vitamins A, D, and E, and the fat to help absorb them, and a decent amount of magnesium and phosphorous. However, there is almost no protein in it (1g on its own), so if you're looking for something with comparable protein to dairy milk, almond isn't it. Almonds also have quite a bit of phytic acids, which are of questionable benefit due to their nutrient-binding nature, though this can be mitigated by first soaking the almonds before making the milk.

Cow's milk has more calories (145 per cup vs almond milk's 40, so about 3.5 times more calories), but it also has more protein (and more carbs, which is a mixed bag and whether it's good depends on the person). The fats in it are nearly all saturated and monounsaturated fats, making its fats less likely to oxidize (and saturated fats are not the devil, but that's a discussion for a different thread). The small amount of polyunsaturated fats are a nearly 1:2 ratio of Omega-3 to 6, which is about as good as you can get (especially from a single food source). Cow's milk also contains quite a bit more micronutrients, including Selenium, Zinc, Potassium, Folate, Choline, B12, Vitamin K, and more Phosphorous and Magnesium than almond milk. Any animal milk also has a certain amount of hormones, even without synthetic ones added to the animal's diet, which are, like the phytic acids, questionable, though the evidence suggests that the naturally-occurring bovine growth hormones don't affect humans (because we don't have the proper receptors).

So, almond milk wins on the calorie front, is a superior source of vitamins A, D, and (especially) E, and has less sugar. However, if you treat cow's milk like a "food" instead of a "drink" (ie - a glass of milk as a snack instead of with a snack), then cow's milk nets you more of a lot of other nutrients and protein, but also comes with quite a bit of sugar.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/69/2 <- Whole Milk
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/278488/2 <- Almond Milk
    http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/nut-and-seed-products/3085/2 <- Almonds (to show the fatty acid profile, which gets transferred to the milk)
    http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/80/3/550.long <- Paper on saturated fats
    http://scienceblogs.com/aetiology/2012/06/19/growth-hormones-in-milk-mythfact/ <- Article on hormones in milk
  • celtbell3
    celtbell3 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love Almond and Coconut milk - both are in my fridge next to my husbands 2% LOL
  • _Magnifique_
    Options
    Skim milk for me. 32 calories per 100ml. :D
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Ugh, all of these nut juice "milk" substitutes.

I drink Horizon organic whole milk because it's the most expensive Gd milk in the whole store and it makes me feel better than everyone else when I'm paying ~$4 for a half gallon.

Okay, that's not really it...it's because we're concerned about hormones in conventional milk because of my teenage daughter who drinks a lot of milk...and we buy whole because it's ridiculous to pay the same amount for milk that has had some of the delicious fat removed...

...but I do still feel superior.

I also buy the Horizon organic chocolate milk because I don't want to be arsed with putting my own chocolate syrup in and stirring, but am torn on this because it's only available in 1%. I really wish Horizon made a whole chocolate milk (or if they already do, that a single store in my area carried it).
  • fitness_faeiry
    fitness_faeiry Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Almond milk and Unsweetened soy - but I do like semi skimmed milk in coffee - it just tastes nice!