Mc Donalds everyday Calorie Deficit

Options

Replies

• carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Just from sort-of experience:

I have a friend who swore up and down that because a McDonalds meal was within her "Weight Watchers Points" she could eat it constantly and lose tons of weight. Guess what happened? She gained or maintained and didn't lose. She got so angry at me when I tried to tell her that wasn't healthy food to put into her body, she's not concentrating on the calories, etc...

So it would depend on what you're eating and what the nutritional facts are. But if you're eating at a defect, you probably will lose some weight...until your body gets used to the way you're eating and your weight loss stalls. :)

But I'm not an expert, this is just my opinion and experience.

Weight Watchers Points are simply an alternate (and overly complicated, imo) way to count calories. Your friend didn't magically gain weight because of a particular food - she gained because she ate too many calories/points/whatzits.
  • VelveteenArabian
    VelveteenArabian Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    You could eat only Twinkie's and still lose weight if you're at a deficit. Probably not healthy though!
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I have a friend who swore up and down that because a McDonalds meal was within her "Weight Watchers Points" she could eat it constantly and lose tons of weight. Guess what happened? She gained or maintained and didn't lose. She got so angry at me when I tried to tell her that wasn't healthy food to put into her body, she's not concentrating on the calories, etc...

So it would depend on what you're eating and what the nutritional facts are. But if you're eating at a defect, you probably will lose some weight...until your body gets used to the way you're eating and your weight loss stalls. :)

Your friend was obviously NOT eating at a deficit... it was not because of a particular food.
  • asaffell
    asaffell Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I just can't imagine you'd feel too great. blech.
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    Law of Conservation of Energy.

(calories in < calories out)
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It would depend on what you ate from there as to whether it was healthy or not. Although granted most of their food is highly processed and full of trans fats, they offer healthy(ier?) alternatives. If 2 of your meals a day from there were salads and you skipped the fries and soft drinks with every meal, it would not be the healthiest food plan, but would be better than big mac and fries for every meal
    For weight loss? Assuming he has no hormonal or metabolic issues if he ate at a deficit he would lose weight. REGARDLESS of what he eats at McDs. Now, SHOULD HE eat crap for every meal? Of course not
  • sierra_12
    sierra_12 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    UMMMM... watch Supersize Me. The damage you would do to your body is immense.

Supersize Me was a joke. The guy ate WAY over his calorie limit and had the most ridiculous rules (MUST say yes if asked to supersize, must eat everything on the menu, etc.)

The point of this post is that if you ate at a calorie deficit, and worked in your macros, could you eat only McDonalds everyday for a month and still lose weight.

The answer is yes.
  • Dugleik
    Dugleik Posts: 125
    Options
    All this talk about big and tastys has me confused. I haven't seen one in ~10+ years at any mcdonlalds.

Big Tasty is kind of awesome, although it's 850 calories in Norway so not the thing you go for every day.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You could. You'd probably be hungry during the day at some point with all the empty calories.

What is empty about their calories?
  • wheird
    Options

Everyone seems to have a friend.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm the guy in the documentary ate wayyyy over his caloric intake.
    On another note, people put way too much stock in these "documentaries", that they watch them and preach about them like they think that they "know" something.
    While I think McDonalds is utter crap and rarely, if ever eat it, I agree whole heartedly with your post. These types of documentaries (and the Michael Moore types) are cherry picked infotainment. They are no more reality and factual than reality TV.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    All this talk about big and tastys has me confused. I haven't seen one in ~10+ years at any mcdonlalds.

Big Tasty is kind of awesome, although it's 850 calories in Norway so not the thing you go for every day.

They're available in Bahrain, one of my favourites actually....
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Ummmmm the guy in the documentary ate wayyyy over his caloric intake.
    On another note, people put way too much stock in these "documentaries", that they watch them and preach about them like they think that they "know" something.

He also specifically cut down his walking and started taking cabs everywhere.

Supersize Me is a lesson in how not to lose weight, McDonalds or not.
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Yes, you could. But you would most likely feel like crap every single day....
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you wouldn't look any better. It's an old debate. Everyone with common sense knows that what you eat on a deficit DOES make a difference in the long term.

Oh and Guus, fat does not make you fat :flowerforyou:. It's a myth. You'll gain bodyfat if you lose mucsle mass or when you eat above your TDEE. Eating more balanced (40/30/30 - carbs/protein/fat) will give you the protein it need to preserve musclemass while on a deficit.

Say what? I ate fast food 3-4 times a week while losing weight and I continue to eat fast food while now in maintenance (just had Taco Bell for lunch). For a 35 year old mom of three kids, I look pretty darn good :wink:
  • wheird
    Options

I do it and feel fantastic.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

That would depend on a lot more factors than just the name on your food wrapper.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you wouldn't look any better. It's an old debate. Everyone with common sense knows that what you eat on a deficit DOES make a difference in the long term.

Oh and Guus, fat does not make you fat :flowerforyou:. It's a myth. You'll gain bodyfat if you lose mucsle mass or when you eat above your TDEE. Eating more balanced (40/30/30 - carbs/protein/fat) will give you the protein it need to preserve musclemass while on a deficit.

Won't look any better in what sense, exactly? What difference in my appearance is caused by getting my chicken salad at McDonalds vs making it at home, exactly?

Who eats salads at McDonalds??

:blushing:

Nawww.. I would have taken you for the Big Tasty kind of guy :happy: :flowerforyou:

Had to google that. Looks... tasty!

So... it's a date! :flowerforyou:
  • ZealousMissJJ
    ZealousMissJJ Posts: 454 Member
    Options

Say what? I ate fast food 3-4 times a week while losing weight and I continue to eat fast food while now in maintenance (just had Taco Bell for lunch). For a 35 year old mom of three kids, I look pretty darn good :wink:

1081.gif

AGAIN... I AM TALKING ABOUT EATING MCDONALDS ALL-THE-TIME... You're talking 3-4 times a week. I'm talking the rest of your life. Do you not read my posts or only pick out what you want to read? I eat at McDonalds too you know. But I don't convince myself it perfectly fine to soley eat McDonalds.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

1081.gif

AGAIN... I AM TALKING ABOUT EATING MCDONALDS ALL-THE-TIME... You're talking 3-4 times a week. I'm talking the rest of your life. Do you not read my posts or only pick out what you want to read? I eat at McDonalds too you know. But I don't convince myself it perfectly fine to soley eat McDonalds.

Yell all you want, yes, you are doing a fine job of holding up that strawman.

The OP asked if the would lose weight for a month eating McD and somehow you've come up with the ridiculous and unpracticable idea that someone would propose or eat only McD all the time for years and years.

It's a classic strawman. No one here supports eating only McD for years. (https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/strawman)

In fact, it would be just as bad to suggest you only eat green vegetables or only fruit, or only Dominos for the rest of your life.
    Suprisingly, it's often seen as weak argument against IIFYM.

edit:word order