Puking while exercising

Options
I know it's disgusting, but its a reoccurring issue I've been having. Since I work early in the morning, I eat breakfast, usually something small like a granola bar or a whole wheat bagel, then I walk to the gym, get on the elliptical for ten minutes and feel a horrible churning in my stomach. Minutes later, I'm running to the bathroom, puking up in my mouth.

I mean, I've heard it's because of my breakfast, but I try to eat as little as possible before I work out. My gym trainer said if I don't bite into something, I'll feel faint and pass out. So, any tips?

Replies

• FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah, try not eating something before you go to the gym.

Or maybe reevaluate how hard your intensity for now.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I never eat before I hit the gym in the morning. I've never had a problem feeling faint. I have had a lot of people tell me to eat something before I work out... I tried having half a banana before working out. But honestly I just like sticking to my normal 4 glasses of water plus my pre-workout. (noexplode, at the moment)... I usually work out for about an hour and a half.

But as soon as I walk in the door from the gym...I have either a whole banana, a scoop of peanut butter, or I make myself some egg whites... gotta have that protein.

Have you tried to workout with out eating first?
  • PaigeO88
    PaigeO88 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe try switching to a liquid breakfast for a while, like a glass of almond milk, special K chocolate breakfast drink, or just something that is more easy to digest.

I go for long runs early in the morning and have a glass of chocolate almond milk right when I wake up, then I work out, then I have some oatmeal and fruit. The almond milk gives me nutrition and energy to get through my workout without putting too much stress on my digestive system.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Some days I have a glass of almond milk, others I have nothing at all before going to the gym. I'd skip listening to your trainer on this and give it a try and actually see how you feel. You may feel fine or at least better than puking.
  • rsmorlen
    rsmorlen Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Try something lighter than a granola bar like an apple This will give you some energy for your workout and because it's simple sugar, you're body will digest it fast. You could try working out on an empty stomach as well. See what works for you.
  • Austadophilus5
    Options
    Admittedly, I had not tried working out without eating before. With what my trainer said, I just started eating less like just having half a bagel or an apple and it still wasn't working. So, I'll try that and just drink a ton of water before and during and maybe that will solve the problem.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    When I was in basic training we worked out THEN we went for breakfast. Probably to avoid cramping and the issue you're having. Try hitting the gym first and really early.
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I prefer to eat before I work out (I get a bit faint if I don't) but, have found that if I don't have something that's protein rather than carb based I get a bit of heart burn or sometimes bile in my mouth. Not sure why, but I have found that if my breakfast is yogurt or something like an apple with peanut butter I don't get the same reaction as I do if it's cereal or toast.
  • mteague277
    mteague277 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I think everyone is different as far as eating and working out. I know people who eat a huge meal and can go sprinting on the treadmill! I personally can't eat or drink too much before an intense work out. If I were you I would stick with an empty stomach or maybe something a little easier to digest like a piece of fruit. I know for me I can handle an apple or banana but that is about it!
  • 40mpw
    40mpw Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Another thing to experiment with -- maybe give yourself a little more time to digest before you start working out. For most workouts (cardio, strength training), I like to work out two hours after a small meal. For other workouts (yoga), I like to work out four hours after a small meal. I figured it out through trial and a whole lot of error.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    I never eat breakfast until after I've worked out, and I've never felt faint.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying to workout on an empty stomach to see if that's better for you. Or if you have to eat something, eat it at least an hour to an hour and a half before going to the gym.

When I had to workout before work, I wouldn't eat anything. I was running a couple of miles on the treadmill or doing 30 minutes hard on the arc trainer, I never had an issue. Of course, I wasn't totally awake either, so that probably helped.
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I had not tried working out without eating before. With what my trainer said, I just started eating less like just having half a bagel or an apple and it still wasn't working. So, I'll try that and just drink a ton of water before and during and maybe that will solve the problem.

When I worked with a trainer last year, he told me the same thing...but still didn't work. For me? It was too high intensity in too short of a period of time after eating. I HAVE to eat before a workout...but, now if I do, I have to eat 2 hours before a workout; no less than and hour and half. Maybe try doing that and eating earlier..sucks if it is early in the morning, but may be the only way around it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Uhhhh this happens regularly or it happened once?

You don't HAVE to eat before you workout, I would skip the food and see how you feel. Bring a gatorate with you in case you get lightheaded. Eat afterwards when your stomach feels stable.
  • tmorgan2010
    tmorgan2010 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    you should probably wait longer. I eat an egg or something with tons of protein with water and then wait twenty minutes before going to the gym. Eat and then get ready.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    This is not good. Try not eating before morning exercise first, and it is persists, it may need medical attention.

Sometimes your best answers will not come from strangers in a forum but medical professionals.
  • Tacticalmedic13
    Tacticalmedic13 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Your body will naturally shunt blood away from the stomach in times of high-stress. You are having a reaction because your body has shopped the blood flow to the stomach but still stomach contents remain. In a real emergency vomiting could enable you to survive a life-threatening event. This is a natural reaction to stress but definitely not what you want at the gym. The good news is that this is usually a sign that you are definitely pushing yourself hard in the gym. To correct the situation you might want to try having some juice or other liquid before your workouts that do not stay in your stomach as long. The more your fitness improves, the less likely you are to encounter this problem.
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    I go to the gym at 5 in the morning. There is no way I can eat anything tht early in the morning. I personally don't eat anything for breakfast until around 9 or 930.
    So I think it is just your preference. But if you feel that icky eating and then going, don't eat first. Wait until you're done.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Morning workouts are tough for me because my stomach bothers me whether I eat or not. I've found that working out after work is better for me, because it's about 3 hours after my afternoon snack so I'm not really hungry yet and I'm not still full. I really have to be careful about this because of my fussy stomach. It sounds like yours has been hanging out with mine :(
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Work out on empty stomach - blood sugar crash and shakes

Work out with anything in stomach - upchuck city

I've just decided I prefer working out in the evenings. If you can work out in the morning on an empty stomach and not crash then definitely go for it because I know for most people morning workouts are easier to work in to the schedule. I've just never found a way I can do it without being miserable.

Sorry, not much help....