Question about deadlifts

Options
Hello Everyone,

I just started doing barbell deadlifts today as part of my legs/core/lower back training day, and man I love them! I'm sure I'll hate them as I increase the weight but today, with just 135 on, I felt a really good stretch in my lower back, my quads and my core.

My question is, how are you supposed to do deadlifts? Are you supposed to rep them out, or do 1 at a time? I did 10 sets of 1 rep today, taking about a minute in between each lift. Is it okay to continue doing it this way, or are you supposed to lift, drop, lift, drop, lift, drop for like a set of 5 or whatever.

Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I personally don't like doing more than 5 reps at a time and I completely let the weights come to rest and reset between reps.

Touch and go's are a completely different exercise IMO.
  • mojoryzn
    mojoryzn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im with John on 5 reps. I start getting light headed if I go for more.
  • _John_
    Options
    Im with John on 5 reps. I start getting light headed if I go for more.

my lower back starts to get in bad positions when I get tired in the lift. that's why I personally don't do more.
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    i personally go heavy and do 5 reps for 4-5 sets.

currently deadlifting 135 and working my way up
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I do them two ways.

Touch and go. With higher reps and lower weight I let the bar touch, but not settle on the ground.

Pause. With heavy weight I let the weight settle, but for no more than 5 seconds if I can help it. On my last sets (like today was 260 pounds for 5 reps) I took a maximum of 20 seconds between each rep and did 5 reps with that weight.

For motor units, central nervous system, adaptation and growth response both methods should be used.

ETA: If you are going a full minute between reps (1 lift then wait a minute) it's basically a whole new set. That means you did 10 sets of a single rep instead of one set of 10 reps.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    you're going to want to stop at least for a moment after each rep and reset your starting stance; weight should be on the ground. It's too important to begin in the right (monkey) position, and it's fairly challenging to end in proper form to start the next one.

I generally do 1 warmup set of 135 and then do my 1x5 set of my go weight; but I completely release my hands from the bar (still touching but now pressure) to force myself to reset.
  • whatitd013
    whatitd013 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I like doing 4 sets of 8 with a really heavy bar. The problem is my hands can't hold on and give out before my legs/back do. Any tips?
  • _John_
    Options
    I like doing 4 sets of 8 with a really heavy bar. The problem is my hands can't hold on and give out before my legs/back do. Any tips?

over under grip or just increase your overall strength and grip strength will come with it. Alternatively, you could use lifting straps.
  • gmhaggie06
    Options
    this is awesome information guys thanks.

I think i'll try it next time doing 1 set of about 5 reps, and taking 10-15 seconds in between to rest. I do these after squats, and my legs are wobbly as heck, so in the beginning i'll probably need a few seconds to steady myself.

Hopefully I can work towards some touch and go's in the near future!
  • jhc7324
    jhc7324 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    this is awesome information guys thanks.

I think i'll try it next time doing 1 set of about 5 reps, and taking 10-15 seconds in between to rest. I do these after squats, and my legs are wobbly as heck, so in the beginning i'll probably need a few seconds to steady myself.

Hopefully I can work towards some touch and go's in the near future!

However long you take in between your reps, just make sure to re-set your back position. In between my reps I'm almost always having to force myself to sit back a little and force my chest up. It doesn't take more than a few seconds, but not taking that time is asking for trouble as your form will get all wonky as you do a longer set without checking your form.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I do them two ways.

Touch and go. With higher reps and lower weight I let the bar touch, but not settle on the ground.

Pause. With heavy weight I let the weight settle, but for no more than 5 seconds if I can help it. On my last sets (like today was 260 pounds for 5 reps) I took a maximum of 20 seconds between each rep and did 5 reps with that weight.

For motor units, central nervous system, adaptation and growth response both methods should be used.

ETA: If you are going a full minute between reps (1 lift then wait a minute) it's basically a whole new set. That means you did 10 sets of a single rep instead of one set of 10 reps.

yup.

I try to rep out my lighter weights- but my heavier weights there is usually a mini pause- which sucks because it's like pulling an all new lift.

It all depends on what you want.

I hate doing 5 reps- it's a lot to me- but I do working sets of 1 all the way up to 15. So it really depends on your goals.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    1 work set of 5 reps, with a brief pause between reps. I don't rest as such, but I certainly don't 'touch and go' either. I'm at 275lb at the moment, which for me is heavy.

ETA - I do touch and go for my first couple of warmup sets, which might look something like 5x135lb, 5x185lb, 3x225lb, 2x255. I figure out approximate warmup sets on the fly.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I do 5x10 after heavy squats with 50% of my training max...

Those 10 reps are a methodical touch and go (but without actually bouncing the weight mind you).

Otherwise I'm doing 3 warmup sets at 40%, 50% and 60%, and then 3x5, 3x3, or 5/3/1 depending on the week.

Point in case, it all depends on where you're at. Honestly though, it sounds like you're coming up with your own routines at the gym. You should be on a program so you have a framework for all of this.

Good beginner programs are SL 5x5, and ICF 5x5 (just like SL5x5 but with some assistance work). START LIGHT... like... with the bar. It'll get heavy soon enough, trust me. Those programs by the way having you doing 1x5 deadlifts.
  • gmhaggie06
    Options
    My goals main goals are to lose fat and gain muscle. But for this workout group, I'd really like to tighten my core and have more control over it. I just started doing legs/lower back/and core about 2 months ago again, and it's increased my overall well being and health by leaps and bounds
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    My goals main goals are to lose fat and gain muscle. But for this workout group, I'd really like to tighten my core and have more control over it. I just started doing legs/lower back/and core about 2 months ago again, and it's increased my overall well being and health by leaps and bounds

Everybody's main goals are to loose fat and gain muscle lol :drinker:
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Starting strength here. 5 reps 1 time. DEADlift = let the bar settle on the floor and lift.If it ain't dead on the floor it's not a dead lift :wink: I usually just take a new breath and lift again. Good luck!
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    My grip gets stupid ~5 reps with a working weight. Have to re-grip so might as well just call it a set at that point and rest up.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Starting strength here. 5 reps 1 time. DEADlift = let the bar settle on the floor and lift.If it ain't dead on the floor it's not a dead lift :wink: I usually just take a new breath and lift again. Good luck!

Actually, the term deadlift comes from ancient Rome, when soliders got injured while lifting dead comrads off the battle field. Training programs were put into place to teach the soliders how to properly lift a dead weight from the ground to minimize injury.

There is a reason there are two methods to deadlifts. The touch and go method is better for mass size because it keeps the body under constant tension (touch and go not bounce and go, we're talking bodybuilding not crossfit). The reset or pause method is better for strength gains. I agree that when using the reset or pause it is best to only wait a breath.
  • mamasmaltz3
    mamasmaltz3 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options

I do Stronglifts 5x5 and do 1x5. I also agree that you should look into some kind of beginning lifting program. You'll be amazed at how quickly you will progress.
  • MickeS
    MickeS Posts: 108 Member
    Options

Actually, the term deadlift comes from ancient Rome, when soliders got injured while lifting dead comrads off the battle field. Training programs were put into place to teach the soliders how to properly lift a dead weight from the ground to minimize injury.

There is a reason there are two methods to deadlifts. The touch and go method is better for mass size because it keeps the body under constant tension (touch and go not bounce and go, we're talking bodybuilding not crossfit). The reset or pause method is better for strength gains. I agree that when using the reset or pause it is best to only wait a breath.
    That's interesting! Didn't know that. Maybe I'll try that when I switch to my (first) bulk. Thanks!