Do You do this?

Options
So I am at the gym walking away on the treadmill and watching Man Vs. Food on the TV. Without consciously thinking about it I find myself mentally adding up all the calories he is eating. I have been doing this long enough I have a fair ideal what the calorie count is in almost everything these days and find myself doing this all the time, my co-workers lunches, TV shows, what people are eating in their cars. And before I eat anything. Do you all find yourself doing this?

Replies

• azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    i havent been doing this long enough to gauge cal amount in random things yet, but yes....i subconsiously think about how bad or good the food is. high cals, low fat, lots of sugar, healthy or not lol.
  • eglass64
    eglass64 Posts: 180
    Options
    I catch myself doing it at times as well.
  • Centerstagekris
    Options
    Yes I do. Sometimes I think I might be a bit to obsessive about it! Haha.
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    to me it's a game in my head of "eat this, not that!" lol

I love watching Man Vs. Food.....dunno why because all of the challenges gross me out. I guess it's like a bloody horror movie :laugh:
  • Silky815
    Silky815 Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I am not too good about figuring out fat and calories. But, I do watch what others are eating and I think to myself..."OMG, they are eating all that crap. No wonder why they are fat".
  • JohnMaile
    Options
    I don't count the calories of what other people are eating, but I always seem to notice what other people are eating! I also always notice that when I'm in the grocery store, what people have in their carts always reflects very clearly on their weight and their health. It seems so clear what they're doing to themselves and, knowing that I used to be like that, makes me sad. Then I look at my cart and I feel pretty good about myself!! I'll sometimes also notice little kids following their mom around the store, skinny as can be, while the only things in the cart are cheese puffs, diet soda and frosted flakes.... and its sad to know that they have no idea, or control it seems, to what they are eating! The grocery store is actually a very sad place for me!
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I was doing it while watching The Best Thing I Ever Ate this afternoon. It helps me not crave what they are eating.
  • maurodim
    Options
    I find I do this, especially when I see people eating things they shouldn't eat.
  • fit_nyc
    Options
    Sometimes I'm worried that calorie counting reinforces food addiction. One symptom is obsessing about calories, which I often do.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,051 Member
    Options
    I have cut back on watching shows on FoodTV for the most part because it just makes me want to eat. But this morning I saw man vs food in NYC, and he was at Katz's Deli eating the pastrami. I almost got in the car and drove there immediately.

I wonder if I can set up a "parental block" on FoodTV... LOL
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I do this, not so much with TV but definately at restaraunts when eating with others. I've been counting calories for years and have a pretty good idea of how many calories are in certain items. Maybe that happens when counting calories and eating mindfully is part of one's lifestyle.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I love Man Vs food because it grosses me out so much I think it helps me stay on track, LOL. However, I love food and love the food channel. I try to think of healthy ways to have my husband cook it for me. Terrible me I hate to cook but he loves to. And now he cooks healthier. It's a win win.
  • jbug100
    jbug100 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Do you ever watch Dives, Diners, and Drive Ins? The host is always stuffing something huge in his pie hole. Makes me a little grossed out.
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I love to watch man vs. food while running on the elliptical. It keeps me motivated to run longer:laugh:
  • mrsmccoy26
    Options
    yep yep : )
  • nsueflorence
    nsueflorence Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I don't count other peoples calories but I do pick apart their over processed food choices.
  • flynabster
    Options
    Sometimes I'm worried that calorie counting reinforces food addiction. One symptom is obsessing about calories, which I often do.

I think that's what happens to me....now that I'm counting I do obsess....sigh....always something, lol
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    I don't count the calories of what other people are eating, but I always seem to notice what other people are eating! I also always notice that when I'm in the grocery store, what people have in their carts always reflects very clearly on their weight and their health.

I've been noticing what people put on the conveyor at the grocery store. And yeah, it usually matches the buyer.
  • jsecret
    jsecret Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    YES! When I sit down with my family to eat and see someone fill their plate, or grab a handful of chips, or that next soda/beer. I instantly add it in my head without thinking and suddenly it's like big numbers over everyone's heads just going UP UP UP! lol.
  • Tina1128
    Options
    I do this too -- especially with "like - weighted" people. BUT what about the other side. I am also very conscious of others watching me when I eat in public (ie PARANOID lol )or when I would be buying/eating something unhealthy ( which I'm not doing anymore) -- most of all feeling judged. This is such a destructive thing -- making bad choices makes you feel bad and out of control and leads to more negative eating. I need to stop judging myself and the others I see myself reflected in. If I can use it as motivation not judgement-- perfect.