What Go To Foods are in your Home at all times?

Options
124»

Replies

• Hollie704
    Hollie704 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    While I agree with many of the people who say you can eat those foods in smaller portions and add something healthy, sometimes it's hard not to overindulge on that food. If you're worried about that, plan ahead and when you cook your own meals during the week, for two of them, double the recipe, then freeze the second portion. Then, when the weekend comes, you have two meals to defrost and eat while your husband eats whatever he's having.

You can grill or boil a couple chicken breasts early mid-week and make all sorts of things for them on the weekend. Chicken salad (using avocado), wraps, sandwiches, salads, etc.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Make a big Tupperware of salad at the start of the weekend - then what ever he makes take a small portion of the meat/protein add a big salad with a low cal dressing you will not be cooking twice and it is OK to eat wings and ribs - BTW I strip wings of the skin and just eat the meat that really helps too
  • Rocklinite
    Rocklinite Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always have some of the following: cereal, greek yogurt, almond milk, bananas, protein powder, Stevia, fruit popsicles, whole wheat English muffins, laughing cow cheese, eggs, 7% beef, red potatoes, blueberries, chicken thighs/breasts, coffee and tea.

Check out skinnytaste.com for some new controlled calorie recipes and ideas. Your husband will love these dishes too. Wings, fries, pizza can all be part of your diet. Roasted herb potato wedges are amazing!

I make these recipes for my husband and teenage son all the time. They love them!
  • riginthering
    Options
    oranges and bananas. Bananas are filling. Oranges are fun. Both are delicious.
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    Sometimes I cook for myself, however sometimes what my Mum has cooked isn't actually high-cal or unhealthy, its just low protein/high carb/doesn't really fit my macros for the day. I agree it can be exhausting cooking for yourself, especially when it means having to cook two seperate meals! I always have a couple cups of quinoa cooked and stored in the fridge because its so versatile! I also have chicken breast cut up and pre-portioned in the freezer so I can quickly defrost and use as needed. Other go-to foods I eat are eggs, peanut butter, protein shakes, skimmed milk, nuts, lots of fruit and veg, green smoothies.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You can have those things, just portion it so it fits in your calories.
    I never make two meals, and I never expect him to make two meals.
    Besides me eating healthier than he does, I have allergies that prevent me from eating a lot of things. If I make something it's for me - he can have some if he wants. If he makes something it's for him. I can have some if I'm not allergic.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I get what you are saying. And sure, you can eat hot wings and ribs while losing weight. But you can't eat many or eat them often if you calorie goal is < 2000.

My go to "seems likes it really bad but it's not" weekend foods are:

pizza - thin crust, lots of veggies, reduced fat cheeses. If I add meat, I use lean meat. Sometimes I buy thin crust cheese pizza and just add veggies if I'm too busy to fool with making my own crust.

Nachos - smashed beans, lean meat (usually ground turkey or shredded chicken), reduced fat cheese, peppers, onions, salsa, and tortilla chips

Nacho bites - Tostito scoops filles with a mix of seasoned smashed beans and shredded chicken, top with a jalapeno slice and a little reduced fat cheddar. Bake until the cheese melts and serve with salsa.

Broccoli and dip - ranch dip, dill dip, whatever. Okay, broccoli never seems like it's bad, but I really love broccoli and a sour cream based dip. I make my own with reduced fat sour cream.

Dips - I am a big fan of whole grain crackers and dips - hummus, guacamole, crab dip, salmon spread, so many dips to choose from.

Pulled pork bbq - either make it with pork loin, which is much leaner than the more traditional shoulder. Or sue the shoulder, but trim as much fat as possible before cooking, and cool completely to let the fat rise to the top then scoop as much as possible off before reheating to eat. Makes great sliders!

Pinwheel sandwiches are great too. Get high fiber / low carb wraps - fill with pulled pork or shredded chicken or canned tuna or salmon - add a little reduced fat cheese - chopped onion or peppers or whatever - season with bbq sauce or Frank's red hot buffao sauce or other sauce you like. Roll it up, slice it up, place on a plate and serve.
  • becky10rp
    becky10rp Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Breakfast:
    - eggs
    - whole wheat bread
    - coffee
    - low fat milk, or soy milk
    Lunch:
    - pears, apples
    - greek yogurt
    - assortment of Morningstar items (Chicken, corn dogs, chickpea burgers, etc)
    - bean soups
    - canned tuna
    Dinner:
    - whole wheat flat pizza crusts
    - frozen veggies
    - again, assortment of Morningstar items
    - assortment of canned beans to add to anything (salads, make a main dish, etc).
    - whole wheat pasta
    - cheese - some 'full fat', some 'low fat'
    - tomato sauce
    - sweet potatos
    - fresh fish (Tilapia, whatever's on sale)
    - frozen shrimp
    Snacks:
    - seedless grapes
    - low fat cheese sticks

With the above - I can make just about anything for a week!
  • jlar09
    jlar09 Posts: 99
    Options
    I only cook for myself, so it's easy for me, but I typically have Greek yogurt on hand at all times (easy to mix in stuff and very filling), cashew/almond butter, raw vegetables, fresh and frozen fruit, BANANAS (I eat at least one a day), garlic hummus, oatmeal (I tried putting it in my protein shakes and I hated it, so now I just do a lot of overnight oats and oatmeal protein pancakes), and cottage cheese!

Oh, I also make a batch of quinoa once a week and then add it to stuff (mostly salads) every day. For me, convenience is key. If it's complicated or time consuming, I'm not going to do it. I try to make all my breakfast and lunch the day before.