Protein Powders

Options

Replies

• binary_jester
    binary_jester Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    ON 100% Whey tastes great and mixes well.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like Myoplex Lite, I use the powder and the strawberry is my favorite flavor. Here's a like to information:
    http://eas.com/product/myoplex-lite-powder

When I make them I use a lot of ice and it makes it like a shake and it takes me a while to drink. The strawberry has a really good flavor and it's not chalky or gritty at all.

Good luck.
    ~S
  • Bungee_tyme
    Options
    In responce to 4-5 bucks being a lot of money....People spend that much on a cup of coffee with no (positive) health bennefits.
  • sherylhs
    sherylhs Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, there is a lot of arsenic in the EAS Myoplex liquid drink. UGH! I always thought those tasted funny, that's why I used the powder.. I wonder if it's in the power too?

Thanks for the link.
    ~S
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    In responce to 4-5 bucks being a lot of money....People spend that much on a cup of coffee with no (positive) health bennefits.

Actually, coffee has been shown to have many positive health benefits.
  • kristilovescake
    kristilovescake Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I've mixed it up with protein powders, but usually just use whatever I have so I don't really have good advice on brand/type.

I just wanted to add that one thing to watch out for with the flavored protein powders is how much sugar they pack into them. I bought some vanilla flavored soy protein once (don't recall the brand) but was very surprised at how much added sugar. Make sure you check if the flavored powders have added sugar.

If I find the protein powder I bought makes my drink taste like gritty nastyness, I just add a bit less (1.5 scoops instead of 3) and then eat more protein later in the day.
  • LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    My mom bought me the whey protein from walmart, the chocolate kind and its really good...If I use it in the am, I make my self a huge cup of coffee and add it to that....I might be weird lol...My husband said that I wasn't suppose to do it..But I figured it saves some calories since I have to have a large cup of coffee to get me going to just scoop some in it...After workouts I just mix it with water.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Shakeology really does work. It comes out to about $4 - $5 per drink which is not a bad deal. Please feel free to go to my site for more information - myshakeology.com/JensueFerrell. Let me know if you have any questions.

You can create your own fully supplemental shake for 2-3 dollar and a blender.

This just sounds like a waste of money unless you really lack 10 minutes in your day.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, there is a lot of arsenic in the EAS Myoplex liquid drink. UGH! I always thought those tasted funny, that's why I used the powder.. I wonder if it's in the power too?

Thanks for the link.
    ~S

Yeah I know.....I looked at that. How would you know if it's in something? Do they actually list it on the packaging?
  • bpayne78
    Options
    I've used ISO Whey myself and it's pretty good. I have the vanilla flavor, which is pretty neutral in terms of a flavor. You can pretty much add it to anything. (even items that you've baked).

If you can feel full on a protein shake at breakfast, that's great.... but shakes generally do not fill me up enough. I also love Poptarts. Is there anything out there that is similar, but healthier?

Shannon

When I was in the US on vaca I saw that Fiber One made poptarts so at least it has fiber in there.

I have a protein shake at 7:00 am and 1/2 cup of All Bran by 10:00 since I need more too.

I've tried the Fiber One poptarts and they aren't that great. I'm trying to maybe cut down to one poptart (not two) and maybe a small shake to (as my mom would say) "fill in the cracks".

Not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet but pretty much everyone's suggestions have been helpful....thanks again!
  • dxing
    dxing Posts: 115 Member
    Options

Exactly. Don't look at it as spending an extra $300, look at it as replacing something you really don't need in your diet anyways.

In terms of protein, my favorite is probably Scifit Prota-Lyn, Scivation or ON 100% Whey. If you have the extra bucks, pick up Muscle Milk, which is probably the best tasting protein I've yet to try. Honestly, I'll pick up anything that's the cheapest. There's only a few big manufacturers of whey protein and all the individual company's simply add their own little twist to it. You're not going to find a protein that is amazing tasting, I don't care how many company's advertise their product as "the best tasting protein on the market", lol it's not something that's essentially supposed to be delicious.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Who carries the FiberOne PopTarts? I never remember seeing them at Weis or Giant. They're the only two grocery stores we have around here. I'm sure they're not as good, but maybe I'd still get some satisfaction out of eating them.

Shannon
  • bpayne78
    Options
    Who carries the FiberOne PopTarts? I never remember seeing them at Weis or Giant. They're the only two grocery stores we have around here. I'm sure they're not as good, but maybe I'd still get some satisfaction out of eating them.

Shannon

I've seen them at my Kroger and I think I've seen them at Wal-Mart too.....they are with the other poptarts but they only have 2 or 3 flavors so they may be easy to overlook.
  • dmgaloha
    dmgaloha Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this question. I was wondering the same thing.

I bought my first protein powder on the weekend, and opted to start by trying the one that was on sale at my grocery store... which was Whey Gourmet Naturelle in chocolate. So far I've mixed it into a bowl of plain yogurt, in a blender with ice and yogurt, and with rice milk. I was actually surprised each time with the taste, as I was thinking like another poster that essentially it was not expected to taste good. This one also mentions healthier hair, skin and nails.

Here's the link: http://www.pvldirect.com/wheygourmet/wheygourmetnaturelle.html
    PS. I'm in Canada, so I don't know about it's availability in the US (assuming you are in the US)...
  • JensueFerrell
    JensueFerrell Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You are only replacing one meal a day. Many people spend that much on a coffee from Starbucks & that has tons of calories & sugar. Or you can spend that much at a fast food restaurant and get tons of fat & worthless calories. Over all, it is not a bad deal & it is good for you.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    I agree Shakeology is expensive at 4-5 bucks a pop but you don't use it 3 times a day. I use it once a day when I don't bring my own lunch to school or the cafeteria doesn't have anything good. (I work at a middle school). It's the same cost as me running to subway plus I don't waste my gas and it's a lot healthier than anything else mentioned on this thread. Yes, even those fiber one poptarts. LOL
  • fat2fit2011
    Options
    I just got the Jillian Michaels Protein Shake it it has 100 calories, 7 grams of carbs and 15 grams protein. I have triple chocolate, it tastes pretty good, you blend it yourself and you can also add it to different foods if you don't want to drink it. I mix mine with milk. On the back it says mix with water or your favorite drink. DO NO MIX WITH WATER, BARF!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options

Shannon

Yes, I picked them up at Walmart in Orlando on vaca. They tasted almost the same as regular pop tarts to me. Pop tarts always seem to be kinda dry, I guess thats why they invented the strudle tart.

I wouldnt buy them again since they are still 180 calories or so it was just a suggestion b/c the op ONLY liked poptarts.
  • lucy65
    lucy65 Posts: 22
    Options
    I am using the same type as you too:) I have been tossing in a handful of spinach, cup of frozen unsweetened berries and a cup of water. tastes really good and get some greens and a serving of fruit. Price is pretty good too.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    Protein powder is kind of funky tasting and there's no way around that. I usually mix a scoop with 1 banana or 1 cup of frozen fruit. 1/2 cup of organic yogurt. 1 cup of Silk almond milk. Its super yummy and on days when I do strength training its really essential for my protein intake since I'm a pescetarian (veg-head).

I really like Progressive Harmonized Protein. But that's prolly cos I'm a bit of a tree hugger :)
    I buy my protein powders & diet supplements from an Organic grocer.

Harmonized ProteinTM is a synergistic blend of 5 unique proteins designed to offer an array of health promoting properties beyond that of any individual Protein source. The cattle that produce the milk used to create these unique proteins graze in open pastures and are raised without the use of hormones, including rBGH. New Zealand proteins are considered to be the cleanest and purest in the world. They do not contain antibiotics and are routinely screened for over 250 agricultural and chemical contaminants including pesticides, fertilizers and PCB’s.