Why weightlifting?

Options
Hello All!

I told a good friend today that I was going to try doing some weightlifting, and he seemed honestly confused. And he asked me Why weightlifting?

I was stumped! I have spent too much time in the forums and wasn't expecting the question! So let me pose it to you, my friends.

Why weightlifting?

What SHOULD I have said?

Replies

• Sovictorrious
    Sovictorrious Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I would say so I could crush melons with my bare hands.
  • Lozz68
    Lozz68 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    "why not?"
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I tell people not only is it good for my bones, muscles, and strength, muscle burns fat and the burns last long after you are done working out. Not to mention looking sexy as *kitten*, also love the way it makes me feel, strong, sexy, pumped, so ask why not weightlifting!?
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I tell people because not only is it good for my bones, muscles, and strength, muscle burns fat and the burns last long after you are done working out. Not to mention looking sexy as *kitten*, also love the way it makes me feel, strong, sexy, pumped, so ask why not weightlifting!?

I did say something about muscle burning fat, and that I want to get fit and strong not just lose weight.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Progressive overload
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I tell people because not only is it good for my bones, muscles, and strength, muscle burns fat and the burns last long after you are done working out. Not to mention looking sexy as *kitten*, also love the way it makes me feel, strong, sexy, pumped, so ask why not weightlifting!?

I did say something about muscle burning fat, and that I want to get fit and strong not just lose weight.

That was good :)
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    because it is the best kind of addiction.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

Yeah, all of this. And because you want to lose fat not muscle, and you want a firm, shapely body when you reach your goal weight. And being strong makes you feel powerful and sexy!! Because it's effective and efficient. Less time working out, with more and better results.

For me personally, the reason is because I am not trying to lose weight. I'm already very slender. I exercise for fitness and health.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I would have simply said, "Because it's more fun than cardio." The end.
  • MikeInNiles
    MikeInNiles Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Because the more muscle I build the more food I can eat on a daily basis. Plus being strong is awesome.
  • Americannabis
    Options
    I'd just say "because I wanna".
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I would have simply said, "Because it's more fun than cardio." The end.

This. And you want to be a sexy beast, right?
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Because lifting heavy *kitten* is empowering as all hell!
  • Toomestwin
    Options
    I started out with walking/walking my dog and doing various calisthenics either pure bodyweight exercises or using the Bosu ball and stability ball. As I progressed, I began running but pretty much stuck to the various types of calisthenics. Once I finally decided to lift weights, my goal was simply to "tone." But the more regularly I lifted, the more successes I enjoyed and the more I craved challenging myself.

Why weightlifting? Because it is the foundation for lean muscle mass, a burning metabolism and it slows the aging process! Not so sure I could have/should have done it sooner; I think I had to progress into it the way I did, but now it's a lifestyle.

I eat to fuel, lift to tear down and sleep to build.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Because muscle mass loss has a big impact on quality of time long term. I want to be an old lady walking with vitality in her steps, not bending and barely lifting my feet fearing to fall down and break a hip
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    To crush man's skull like sparrow's egg, between my thighs, of course.

But really to maintain muscle while loosing weight, because muscle is awesome and sexy, and useful and necessary for long term good health.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    because I like being able to squat more then most men in my life.

Because Dead Lifts make me feel like a beast...and I rawr when I am done.

Because I love that I can do a chin up and pull up.

Because being able to bench my body weight will be freaking amazing (yes I expect to get there)

Because of health benefits, how I feel and how I look.
  • beckerkra
    beckerkra Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hello All!

I told a good friend today that I was going to try doing some weightlifting, and he seemed honestly confused. And he asked me Why weightlifting?

I was stumped! I have spent too much time in the forums and wasn't expecting the question! So let me pose it to you, my friends.

Why weightlifting?

What SHOULD I have said?

I would have told him, "I will do what you won't today so I can do what you can't tomorrow." and walked away :P hehe ok, maybe not cuz it's kind of rude, but it still sounds good hehe!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    My first answer would have been "because I want to avoid osteoporosis when I'm older."

But my REAL answer would have been "because I want to look better sans clothing."

Because being slender is great, but having definition is better. And muscle continues to burn fat even at rest. Fat just sits there.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Because muscle mass loss has a big impact on quality of time long term. I want to be an old lady walking with vitality in her steps, not bending and barely lifting my feet fearing to fall down and break a hip

Exactly.