I have lower stomach fat even though I'm thin??

Options
Hi everyone.
I really want to get rid of the lower stomach fat I have under my navel, but I don't know how to. I don't want to lose more weight since my BMI is stated as underweight. I'm 161 cm. and I weigh around 43,5 kg.
This is how I would normally eat in a day:
Breakfast: 1dl oatmeal with half a banana or a tablespoon of peanut butter OR a bowl of yogurt (with no sugar and 0,1% fat) with half a banana and a handful of almonds
Lunch: 2 carrots, 2 crispbreads, a whole wheat wrap with veggies & chicken and an apple (I don't eat all this at once, but i eat it from 9.30 - 12.40 at school)
After school/post workout: 2 crispbreads and a piece of fruit OR a healthy smoothie and a crispbread
Dinner: Whatever my mum cooks, but it's usually some meat with a salad and some potatoes/rice/pasta and bread
After dinner: A glass of tea and some fruit if I'm hungry

I workout 5 times a week and this is how my week would look:
Monday: 15 min. cardio + 30 min. full body strenght
Tuesday: 10 min. cardio + 35 min. abs and legs
Wednesday: Off
Thursday: 10 min. on the elliptical trainer + 25 min. of running (sometimes intervals)
Friday: 10 min. cardio + 35 min. abs and arms
Saturday: Off
Sunday: 5-8 kilometer run

I try to drink at least 1,5 L water a day
What can I do? :) Thanks

Replies

• Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My understanding is you cannot spot reduce any one part of you. You do a lot of cardio, so if you want to show those abs a bit more, try lifting some heavier weights to build muscle. There are a lot of nice folks here that can give you fantastic lifting advice.
  • lillivewire87
    lillivewire87 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting out white processed carbs and sugar? Switching to only 100% whole wheat/grain breads and pastas, brown rice, and non-processed sugars like agave, honey, real maple syrup, stevia, coconut palm sugar etc?

Mine isn't completely gone I definitely have a ways to go, but I only really noticed a reduction in that area once I started trying to cut out as much processed foods as I possibly could. You often hear things like abs are made in the kitchen and from my experience and journey I totally have to agree.

http://www.thefitnessfashionista.com/abs-are-made-in-the-kitchen has some good information.
  • Morgalla
    Morgalla Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Definitely go low carb to get rid of the last of your fat. Look for ketogenic diets that bodybuilders use to get ripped before a contest. Not a long term solution, but it ought to shake up your metabolism. Eliminating starches, processed foods (if you can't wash it before you eat it, avoid) and sugars. Get rid of breads and pastas entirely, sweet potatoes instead of regular (and in very low amounts) more protein and more vegetables.
  • TheEffort
    TheEffort Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    Reassess what you're eating.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I workout 5 times a week and this is how my week would look:
    Monday: 15 min. cardio + 30 min. full body strenght
    Tuesday: 10 min. cardio + 35 min. abs and legs
    Wednesday: Off
    Thursday: 10 min. on the elliptical trainer + 25 min. of running (sometimes intervals)
    Friday: 10 min. cardio + 35 min. abs and arms
    Saturday: Off
    Sunday: 5-8 kilometer run

I try to drink at least 1,5 L water a day
    What can I do? :) Thanks

What does the "full body strength...abs and arms...abs and legs" consist of exactly?

I would say you're doing too much cardio and suggest you start lifting weights which will help shift the fat and build some muscle.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Definitely go low carb to get rid of the last of your fat. Look for ketogenic diets that bodybuilders use to get ripped before a contest. Not a long term solution, but it ought to shake up your metabolism. Eliminating starches, processed foods (if you can't wash it before you eat it, avoid) and sugars. Get rid of breads and pastas entirely, sweet potatoes instead of regular (and in very low amounts) more protein and more vegetables.

This is unnecessary.

OP, less cardio, more strength. And I suggest doing compound moves, or even bodyweight exercises that focus more on your entire body, not isolation. I'm curious to know what "abs and arms" consist of too.

Edit to say: Eat more, preferably protein. As you say you are underweight or close to it, I would suggest some bulk and cut cycles to get the look you're probably going for.
  • HarolDean
    HarolDean Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    That's typically the last area you'll lose body fat so you'll need to build muscle to avoid losing weight.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    There is a tremendous amount of research into blood flow, lipolysis, etc, but the general consensus (scientifically speaking, of course) is that these trouble areas consist of adipose tissue that was the first to accumulate on your body and it will be the last to go as well. The "stubborn fat zones" as they have been dubbed by struggling dieters are problematic for a variety of reasons, but suffice to say that lack of blood flow that is critical for transport of broken down fat to other tissues for "burning" is the most pertinent.

I always feel bad for people in the gym that spend hours trying to spot reduce using hypertrophy rep schemes to try and target a rump that won't shrink or their bingo wings that just won't budge. The same could be said for someone hoping to eliminate those areas of fatty tissue before everything else, because it would be an equally futile attempt at bypassing your body's natural progression to becoming the lean, look-good-naked machine that you always dreamed it could become.

Just be patient and keep working at it, your trouble areas will eventually fade away with time. Just don't go overboard in an attempt to beat it down with force, as that could backfire as well.

Also worth noting, for men the trouble areas are usually lower back fat and abdominals, whereas women tend to accumulate stubborn fat in their lower bodies (prominently hips and thighs).

Hope that helps.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    You eat low protein, low fat, and you do too much cardio.
  • EuroDivas
    EuroDivas Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    This is a really good post as I have the same issue and have been very frustrated same as yourself:sad:. I do try to keep to my 1200 kals a day and have lost 4 kilos since November; however the puff of fat under the navel is not going away. In order to lose the weight along with the dieting I did lots of cardio however just recently started with weights which may have been a mistake according to many of the answers to your post.

My fitness trainer did include 30 to 45 minutes of Cardio minimum 3 times a week along with weights so
    I am a bit surprised that so many posters feel that you are doing too much cardio. My trainer did criticize the fact that
    I did not do the weights as recommended but he thought that cardio exercise is just as important for fat lost. The opinion here seems to be different?

I do hope that many more people will post as I am also curious. if my new plan gets rid of the fat puff I will definitely post.

hope things get better.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    you're supposed to have fat there. and if your BMI is that low, then I think you're probably exaggerating the size of the fat in your mind. The human body is not supposed to be 0% body fat... 0% body fat is dead. Also, healthy amounts of body fat look good. You see yourself from the worst angle, i.e. looking down which makes stomach flab look bigger than it is.

What is your goal in terms of looks? Are you trying to look like airbrushed pictures of models? Even those models don't look like their pics, hence the reason why they were airbrushed. Even models have their little flabby bits here and there, you don't see them because they're airbrushed out of pictures.

Unfortunately the state of our society now is such that a lot of people think that any fat on the human body is too much and shouldn't be there.... well that's not the case. The healthy body fat percentage range for women is 18-28%. By all means have goals and there's nothing wrong with aesthetics being your main goal, so long as what you're aiming for is healthy (both physically and mentally) and achievable.

OP I'm betting you already look fantastic. If you're not happy with how you look, then doing a decent strength training programme to firm up your body is probably what you need, and probably gaining weight (i.e. lean mass) as well:. Check this out: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

if you really do have a lot of fat (i.e. it's not just you exaggerating it in your mind) even though your BMI is so low, then you absolutely must build up your lean body mass for health reasons.
  • ken_m
    Options
    EuroDivas,
    The simple fact of the matter is this: cardio is great for health, but not necessary for fat loss. At all.

Fat loss should be managed through diet alone.

If you don't like doing cardio and you're more likely to adhere to your fat loss plan by omitting it, or replacing it with something like strength training, then by all means, go for it.
  • amandakev88
    amandakev88 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    google 'fupa exercises' yes its called a fupa. no i didnt make it up
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    This is a really good post as I have the same issue and have been very frustrated same as yourself:sad:. I do try to keep to my 1200 kals a day and have lost 4 kilos since November; however the puff of fat under the navel is not going away. In order to lose the weight along with the dieting I did lots of cardio however just recently started with weights which may have been a mistake according to many of the answers to your post.

My fitness trainer did include 30 to 45 minutes of Cardio minimum 3 times a week along with weights so
    I am a bit surprised that so many posters feel that you are doing too much cardio. My trainer did criticize the fact that
    I did not do the weights as recommended but he thought that cardio exercise is just as important for fat lost. The opinion here seems to be different?

I do hope that many more people will post as I am also curious. if my new plan gets rid of the fat puff I will definitely post.

hope things get better.

Cardio can help create a bigger deficit which will lead to fat loss, but the OP stated that she is UNDERWEIGHT. Hence, the suggestion for more calories and strength training, less cardio.
  • EuroDivas
    EuroDivas Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Thanks Bradley!!
  • ken_m
    Options
    You bet.

amandakev, unfortunately the blood flow of fat cells and the adjacent skeletal muscle are independent of one another so no matter how unsightly the FUPA in question might be, a billon sit-ups on the nearest bosu ball aren't going to have any impact other than perpetuating the myth of spot reduction.

As much as I enjoy yoga pants and bending at the waist, it's going to ultimately be a matter of time, patience and adherence to proper diet.
  • citizenpioneer
    citizenpioneer Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That's where estrogen is stored, so it's perfectly normal to have it as a woman. The appearance/flatness of that area of the body has a lot to do with genetics.
  • jessienz2010
    jessienz2010 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing a lot of sit-ups/ crunches everyday
  • tidychris
    Options
    Everyones bodies are different, however I know a girl that has a similar little pocket even though she has low body fat; Its just genetics and she has excepted that and looks/feels great. Whilst the last bits of stubborn fat will go for some people when their percentage body fat drops into the athletic range for others it wont.

I would say you have a couple of options 1) Increase protein and weights and become more shredded, this is will take dedication and you may need to be getting towards the abs of female body builder before it goes. 2)Except that you are in great shape, you eat and drink healthy and some fat is good for you (looks and health wise). Remember part of the reason our bodies have evolved to store fat in different places is due to mate selection and guys generally dont like girls with no body fat.

The last thing i would say is that if your BMI is underweight/near underweight don't reduce your calorie intake anymore, if anything increase it ! before asthetics the most important thing is your health. Dont be fooled into thinking very low body fat, hammering exercise and low calories is the key to longevity, chances are you will be putting you body under alot of stress, the key is balance.
  • quiqui29
    Options
    I want to get rid of the fat in that area as well but im working on the other parts of my body right now.