Alcohol during a diet?

13»

Replies

• alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    I don't consider myself "on a diet," and I'm not willing to give up alcohol for life, so I continue to drink socially, in moderation. Mostly beer and wine rather than hard liquor.
  • SarahJains
    SarahJains Posts: 35 Member
    Thank you for your thoughts! If I have room in my calories I will have a drink! Makes sense :)
  • SarahJains
    SarahJains Posts: 35 Member
    I'll have a gander for this wine - I'm probably going to go for dry whites aswell. :) x
  • labtech666
    labtech666 Posts: 66 Member
    I'm not intending to give up alcohol for good, so I didn't see the point in giving it up to aid weight loss.
    I've still been drinking 3 or 4 pints of beer most weeks and the wieght has come off just fine.
  • getdrunknotfat.com :drinker:

I love that site!
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    You can work anything in if you make room in your day for it, there is nothing necessarily "bad" for diets.
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    I usually stay away from sugary mixers. I go for white wine and gin tonic. Gone are the vodka cranberry / red bull day ;):drinker:
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    You can incorporate ANY food or drink you want.

Low cal drinks: vodka plus <insert favorite low cal mixer>

Many people have beer and wine (don't know any low cal versions of these as I don't drink them).

Given that: EVERY time I drink alcohol, the next day I am up 1-2 lbs. It is temporary, but if this occurs to you I suggest that you don't drink before a weigh in day.

Okay so, I still like having a drink but I was wondering what sort of alcoholic drinks are okay to have during a diet?

Now i'm only talking once a week on a saturday night, not every night!

Are there any low calorie wines?

advice please :)
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Yes, I do drink alcohol.

I am not on a diet but am working on a healthier lifestyle. Since I like an occasional drink I am going to have one and enjoy it without guilt. If I plan to drink then I will set aside the calories for it that day. If I go over a little I am not going to worry. I drink what I like sometimes wine, or hard ciders, or mixed drinks but I am going to enjoy it and keep my drinking within the limits I have set for myself.
  • laurenz2501
    laurenz2501 Posts: 839 Member
    Alcohol is 100% my downfall. I started going out more (Got a raise and started working 2pm-10pm which is perfect for going out after work! No early wake-up!) The pounds packed on at MACH SPEED. It's unbelievable. Unfortunately, in order to have even a few beers and a shot or 2 I'd have to cut out a whole meal... my calorie goal is 1400. So I'm TRYING to save going out and drinking for my cheat day (or 2) on my weekends. Otherwise it's inevitable that I'll stay 40lbs overweight. :sad: It's a very tough choice, as I LOVE to go out with friends and drink, but one that I absolutely HAVE to make. Like they say, "LIFESTYLE CHANGE". That's what I keep repeating in my head... :cry:

That's really tough and challenging. With a pretty small calorie goal it is tough to fit booze in. Keep in mind you need to focus on finding a sustainable way to both lose and maintain. I have had better luck setting my daily target artificially low and then take perverse pleasure in going over but only slightly on many days. You probably don't have nearly as much space as me to set low (at 1400 calls). You can also save a few calls everyday to spend on nights out. Going out with friends or otherwise is an important mental / social goal for many. A d sometimes an important life goal.

Yes it is challenging!! I'm trying to get on a better schedule to go home after work and go to sleep earlier so I can wake up earlier and work out....but getting the invites from friends to come out is hard to say no to only to go home and sit on the couch and watch TV...but...I'm working on it! Beer munchies don't help me either! :laugh: I'm 100% positive that's how I gained about 20lbs in a few months!! Terrible! But here I am working on it :smile: