When was your last straw that made you want to change?

Options

Replies

• sarahenagy
    sarahenagy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    My dad had a stroke that killed him. He was overweight, had high blood pressure, and high blood sugar, had had a heart attack and stroke before and did not change his lifestyle. I do not want this to happen to me and took control of my health to try to prevent it. I know I can't help certain genetic predispositions, but it can't hurt to be healthier.
  • NewMnky1
    NewMnky1 Posts: 264
    Options
    The Dr. did bloodwork and my indicator for a heart attack came back extremely high as well as borderline high blood pressure and borderline diabetes. That was enough for me. It wasn't even about what I looked like, or cute clothes etc., it was about becoming healthy and living a healthy life.
  • drsarahalia
    drsarahalia Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Turning 30!,
  • dawnlpc
    Options
    I am 61 years old and I have struggled with food since I was a young adult. I have weighed around 240 pounds for the last couple of years. My husband recently said to me, "don't give up", meaning don't give up on trying to lose weight and be healthy. A day or to later my bloodwork confirmed I have type 2 diabetes. That was the last straw for me!
  • venus_blue
    venus_blue Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    My daughter turning 18 and going off to the Coast Guard reminded me that I have been "meaning to" get in shape for almost all of my children's lives. Now I have only one child at home and he will be 18 less than two years - I don't have the excuse anymore that I have no time because I'm too busy raising small children who need me every moment. what they need is a fit and healthy mom who will be around for them and their children for a long, long time.

Also, my dad has been suffering complications from diabetes, including needing a kidney transplant that they will not approve because of all of his other (mostly diabetes related) health problems. He was diagnosed when he was only five years older than I am now, and like me, his weight was always an issue. I don't want to end up like him: strokes, heart failure, angioplasties and stents in basically every major artery, dialysis three times a week and going blind from this disease that can be prevented.
  • mfwallace
    mfwallace Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have tried many times to take the weight off, but going to the doctor and having them tell you that you are on the verge of being diabetic, that motivated me. I am determined to loose 100 pounds. I am 10 pounds closer to that goal today. It is hard to say no to the foods that I love, but I love me more. I am determined to get healthy and not have to be on medications ever again.
  • adeleasher
    Options
    Wanting to do something about my lifestyle before I turn 30
  • mrcr23
    mrcr23 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My 5 year old told me, in the sweetest voice ever, "Mommy, you have a big tummy." It was hurtful to hear that but I couldn't say anything because it was the truth!
  • BrewerByNight
    Options
    When I was 250 lbs and would get winded tying my shoes. 25 down! 25 to go (the first 5 or so were lost pre-MFP)
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    a year and a half ago, after being separated for 6 months, I knew I needed to make a change. After seeing a couple of my friends were using this website and having good results, I decided to join in. In 6 months, I had lost 58 pounds. Then I "fell off the wagon" for about a year. Dabbling with it here and there, but not really making a commitment. Then last week, I saw that another friend of mine had joined. So I decided to join him. My clothes weren't fitting anymore, and I was feeling pretty crappy. After weighing and seeing that I had gained back 22 pounds, I knew I needed to get serious again. 4 pounds down.
  • bermudamel
    Options
    wanting to get off insulin first and foremost. wanting to see my nieces and nephew grow up! having people ask me when I was due....you never ask a women if they are pregnant unless they are crowning! That was a real tearjerker for me
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    bump
  • DreaSwi
    Options
    death of my sister from lung cancer
  • Lpaduano17
    Lpaduano17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Seeing the effect of being overweight on my parents. I also am a newlywed and want to get in shape for when we start having a family here in a few years.
  • rexroars
    rexroars Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    A lot of it for me was seeing the negative health of my parents, who are both overweight. I was chubby growing up with them, and lost weight when I moved out. So did my younger brother. That really made me realize what an unhealthy lifestyle we were all living and that I could prevent so many health issues in the future by being healthier now!
  • jessicalynne25
    Options
    My last straw would be when I was reading to my daughter one night before bed, and I was out of breath reading to her. It is extremely embarrassing but kind of happy because it made me push myself into exercising again and I'm in my 2nd month of exercise challenges, 7lbs lighter and have more energy than ever!! I have never felt so great in my life!!
  • PBWaffleCakes
    PBWaffleCakes Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I felt odd around my friends who all had children and were still super skinny. I also got tired of hating myself.
  • Audylew
    Audylew Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think for me a number of things fell into place around the same time. Ultimately though it was the doctors telling me that my best chance for having kids was losing the weight. I have spent a lot of time raising other people's kids and I want my own. I am seeing how it would be hard for me to play with them like they deserve as well if I don't shed the weight.
  • TurtleRunner72
    TurtleRunner72 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Seeing how my being inactive effects my niece & nephew is what pushed me this time. I am almost 2 weeks into this & am having more success then any previous weightloss attempt, with the exception of when I was in high school. I'm now 41 & at my all time heaviest. In addition I want to do the Disney Princess 1/2 Marathon in 2016.
  • bluedaisy34
    Options
    I did my BMI and saw I was considered obese. I never thought of myself as obese, just with maybe a few extra pounds - but who doesn't , right?

Being labeled obese shocked myself. Now I'm in it to win it.