Eating on no exercize days

Options

Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    I don't eat....in front of people.....just like the tree falling in the forest with nobody around, if people don't see me eating then it never happened, end of story \m/
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't eat....in front of people.....just like the tree falling in the forest with nobody around, if people don't see me eating then it never happened, end of story \m/

That piece of pie is like a dream. It vanishes in the night!
  • cookiealbright
    cookiealbright Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    :heart: Welcome to MFP! On rest days, I eat what I normally eat, sometimes over a bit, sometimes under. You have to find out what works for you and someting you can live with. Good luck to ya!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you use TDEE method, you have to manually adjust the calories MFP provides. MFP is usually wrong, or at least crazy low.
    Right, you'd use the TDEE method then manually set MFP's calories and macros.

Yeah, macros are really important, too. MFP has protein and fat set super low for women, for some reason. 1 g per pound of lean body mass (or about 0.8 g per pound of body weight) of protein a day is a good place to start.

The recommendations for protein are actually .8g per KG of body weight, not pounds. Everyone assumes we need to eat crazy amounts of protein and we don't....obviously some people like to eat more and that's fine - not knocking - just clarifying

Your 0.8 to 1 KG is recommended protein at maintenance for an average person that is sedentary. If you exercise and/or are in a deficit you need more. some studies suggest as much as 1.6 grams per lb of lean bodymass while in a deficit in order to retain lean muscle. While in a deficit your body wants to shed muscle as it uses more calories, protein, along with a smaller deficit and resistance training will tell your body to keep the muscle, so less will be lost.
  • Afrochic487
    Options
    I know what you mean it is tough but it is definitely possible. Like you I am also only allowed 1200 calories a day. Most mornings I have a banana for breakfast which is about 70 cals then I have a salad at lunch with either some mackeral or some chicken breast and that usually comes in at about 400 calories, then for dinner I still have 800 calories left for my meal
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If you use TDEE method, you have to manually adjust the calories MFP provides. MFP is usually wrong, or at least crazy low.

Yeah, macros are really important, too. MFP has protein and fat set super low for women, for some reason. 1 g per pound of lean body mass (or about 0.8 g per pound of body weight) of protein a day is a good place to start.

The recommendations for protein are actually .8g per KG of body weight, not pounds. Everyone assumes we need to eat crazy amounts of protein and we don't....obviously some people like to eat more and that's fine - not knocking - just clarifying

Your 0.8 to 1 KG is recommended protein at maintenance for an average person that is sedentary. If you exercise and/or are in a deficit you need more. some studies suggest as much as 1.6 grams per lb of lean bodymass while in a deficit in order to retain lean muscle. While in a deficit your body wants to shed muscle as it uses more calories, protein, along with a smaller deficit and resistance training will tell your body to keep the muscle, so less will be lost.

E. you beat me AGAIN!!!! I was answering the OP based on her statement she works out. We do need more protein then. When I went from 60g/day to 100+, I went from 27% BF to 19%, with very little reduction in LBM.
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do weight lifting about 45 minutes 2x a week, sometimes 3, plus cardio, and cross training. My gym closes at 5 on Friday so I cant go after work and i am not a morning person so I usually take Fridays off,
  • mochamommy
    mochamommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Yep, using TDEE MY calories to loose are WAY higher. Also MFP puts teachers as sedimentary like a desk job, and the website I calculated TDEE does not. So, I should probably adjust a little and be less hangry!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Yep, using TDEE MY calories to loose are WAY higher. Also MFP puts teachers as sedimentary like a desk job, and the website I calculated TDEE does not. So, I should probably adjust a little and be less hangry!!

I thought MFP had teachers as light active?
  • Christygogo
    Christygogo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I've always though MFPs calorie recommendations are pretty low. I set mine at 1350 daily and have been losing! MFP wants me lower .......
    I really set this for my non workout days. I figure that this is supposed to be a long term change, and I truly don't think 1200 cals is sustainable.
    Anyways, if you would like to stay at that caloric intake my advice is this. Eat all the time, like every 2 to 3 hours. Eat meals that are 250-300 cals and then snack on about 100 cals in between. Fruit, veggies, about 14 almonds. This will keep you full. If you go to the cooking light website they have several slide shows for 300 cal meals. Good luck!
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I've love to see those studies. From all the studies I've read, you need about half that if you're doing resistance training and less if you aren't. All the studies I've seen suggest no benefit beyond 0.85g / lb of lean body mass if you're lifting and around 0.65g / lb of lean body mass otherwise. It probably won't hurt you to go to 1.6 g / lb but that's way beyond what your body needs.
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    I use the TDEE method too. Before I used to do the whole 'eat back your exercise calories' thing and I hated it because I would have 1200-1400 calories to eat on those days and I would be starving. Not cool.
  • sagefitnessfanatic
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think there is any reason to eat at or below 1200 calories. I agree with a few other comments, figure out your TDEE. Google TDEE Scooby. I pretty much eat the same amount of food daily - 2300 cals. Fuel your body and your workouts. You'll feel much better and will have better results. Also, check out eat more to weigh less. There's a MFP page and a blog. Google it. Best of luck.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I use the TDEE method too. Before I used to do the whole 'eat back your exercise calories' thing and I hated it because I would have 1200-1400 calories to eat on those days and I would be starving. Not cool.
    Exactly. I had never heard of "eating back" before MFP. imho, it can lead to an odd sense of things, and an odd relationship with food. I still wish we could turn it off.
  • healthybodyhealthylife
    Options
    Exactly. I had never heard of "eating back" before MFP. imho, it can lead to an odd sense of things, and an odd relationship with food. I still wish we could turn it off.

Totally! It didn't really make sense to me - the notion of exercising and then eating everything you've burned. I mean, the TDEE thing is essentially creating a deficit like the MFP mthod, but the logic and the way its set out on MFP just doesn't sound good to me.
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I also switched over to the TDEE method. I've learned to never eat below my BMR cal level (approx 1500 cal/day). So much happier with the higher cal limit, I can think clearer, have more energy, and so on... And my weight started dropping after I upped my cals based on TDEE!

I alternate between heavy exercise days, then "rest" days (walk, do yoga class), so my daily MPF "adjustments" jump up/down like mad. Hence switching to the TDEE method and ignoring MPF allowances. As many have mentioned here and elsewhere, MFP has a tendency to grossly over-estimate cal burn for activities, so the MFP "adjustments" would wreck me anyway. I *do* eat back some exercise cals on high-intensity, long-duration workout days, but not near to the ridiculous level that MFP suggests (maybe 25% of the cals MFP gifts me back!) Life is much better since I switched!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    If it's not too much trouble to keep track of.... using the MFP method, and just not eating back all exercise calories, one day, and allowing yourself to go over by that much on a non-exercise day works, too. But, I live on the edge, like that.
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I avoid rest days for this very reason. I either cross train or do a very easy workout. Not for everyone, I suppose...

Agreed. I can't survive on the calories I am allowed to have on non-exercise days. My choice is to over-eat or exercise. I mostly choose to exercise.
  • junejadesky
    junejadesky Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    For some reason when I put I want to loose 1 pound a week it only gives me 50 more calories a day. Maybe I'm entering data wrong or something. I CAN do 1200 calories a day, but that's being pretty restrictive and I'm wanting to eat my hand by bedtime. With working out and 1350 to 1400 I'm not hungry.

Eat 1400 per day every day and keep your regular workouts going... you'll be good to go!